Thread: flathead

flathead

hi all
    when is the best time for Flathead on the gold coast which months

Re: flathead

Can’t answer for the Gold Coast specifically but I’ve always found the flathead bite to pick up as soon as the warmer weather hits in early spring. But they really are a year round fish.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

thanks all

Quote Originally Posted by Lovey80 View Post
    Can’t answer for the Gold Coast specifically but I’ve always found the flathead bite to pick up as soon as the warmer weather hits in early spring. But they really are a year round fish.
    It's funny that I'd always been told It's a spring/summer fish yet my best catches had been late July/early August but that's changed possibly as some days I now struggle to find some at all.
    One of the sad signs of our times is that we have demonized those who produce, subsidized those who refuse to produce and canonized those who complain.
    Thomas Sowell

For me fishing the Pumicestone Passage the catch rate starts to pick up in April and peaks in July , by the start of November the 20 to 30 you were getting per trip in July is down to just a couple in November..

Had a run up to Donnybrook yesterday, sadly water is coffee coloured making lure fishing useless, pumped some yabbies and caught undersized bream, what a terrible year so far, every time the water gets back to normal we get another downpour.

Quote Originally Posted by alleycat View Post
    Had a run up to Donnybrook yesterday, sadly water is coffee coloured making lure fishing useless, pumped some yabbies and caught undersized bream, what a terrible year so far, every time the water gets back to normal we get another downpour.
    The water between the old Caloundra bar and the Bribie bar is so dark it looks like heavily brewed black tea and another week of rain about to start. Surprisingly there are some fish still being caught at times but it's too much hard yakka.
    Considering we're supposed to be in an El Nino this is the weirdest weather we've had in a long time.
    One of the sad signs of our times is that we have demonized those who produce, subsidized those who refuse to produce and canonized those who complain.
    Thomas Sowell

I did a quick trip back in January up to Tin Can/great Sandy straights for a couple of days fishing. Coffee coloured water as well and couldn’t get a bite. Hoping he rains piss off in the next couple of weeks to allow the rivers to salt back up before early may.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.