Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 32

Thread: My 4 x 4 is dangerous

  1. #16

    Re: My 4 x 4 is dangerous

    86rivm.jpg

    ..........

  2. #17

    Re: My 4 x 4 is dangerous

    Quote Originally Posted by shortthenlong View Post
    86rivm.jpg

    ..........
    hahahaha nearly.... way less than 70k, but yes, having a whinge about un-necessary and distracting safety features.. Boomers not babies

    Drivers not Steerers

    LP
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

    For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here





  3. #18

    Re: My 4 x 4 is dangerous

    I get a new lease vehicle every 2 years so know where you are coming from. Plus Missus likes Euro stuff so the gadgets are full on. Got used to most of them....auto stop/start was my nemesis but managed to disable it in all cars previous to this one either by software programming or wiring. This one has me beat but at least the disable stop/start button is directly below the main starter so easily done.
    I do agree that 4wd vehicles should be able to turn everything off when in a 4wd situation. Issue is 90% of them are driven on the road and driven by the inexperienced who think they are cars. That's why they have all the safety features.

    Sent from my SM-G996B using Tapatalk

  4. #19
    Ausfish Platinum Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Seaforth QLD & Cairns

    Re: My 4 x 4 is dangerous

    Well I've got a dumb as dogsh!t 4x4, and I hate it. It's got no tech in it what so ever, it's even too dumb to know it's own headlights are on, and that was a standard feature decades ago. But for us, there is nothing else on the market that can do what it can do, so a rough as guts dumb ass 79 is the only option for us unfortunately.
    Cheers
    Corry

  5. #20

    Re: My 4 x 4 is dangerous

    Quote Originally Posted by Corry View Post
    Well I've got a dumb as dogsh!t 4x4, and I hate it. It's got no tech in it what so ever, it's even too dumb to know it's own headlights are on, and that was a standard feature decades ago. But for us, there is nothing else on the market that can do what it can do, so a rough as guts dumb ass 79 is the only option for us unfortunately.
    Saw a Ram laramie yesterday i think that would do it for you Corry, even with a side step to look inside the tub its that high hows that for a gadget.

  6. #21
    Ausfish Platinum Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Seaforth QLD & Cairns

    Re: My 4 x 4 is dangerous

    Quote Originally Posted by chris69 View Post
    Saw a Ram laramie yesterday i think that would do it for you Corry, even with a side step to look inside the tub its that high hows that for a gadget.
    I'd love to Chris, but they only come in a dual cab, we need a single cab to carry the camper. We've spoken with all of them, RAM,Chev or Ford aren't looking at bringing in a single cab or space cab until 2028, and then it was a maybe.
    So to be able to carry 800kgs, and tow 3.5t, the 79 is it, we've tried the 4cyl/auto variants, we had a Hilux, which was great as long as the earth was flat, as soon as you get into the hills they can't engine brake down hill, they just can't hold the weight back on long downhill ranges.
    Cheers
    Corry

  7. #22

    Re: My 4 x 4 is dangerous

    Quote Originally Posted by Corry View Post
    I'd love to Chris, but they only come in a dual cab, we need a single cab to carry the camper. We've spoken with all of them, RAM,Chev or Ford aren't looking at bringing in a single cab or space cab until 2028, and then it was a maybe.
    So to be able to carry 800kgs, and tow 3.5t, the 79 is it, we've tried the 4cyl/auto variants, we had a Hilux, which was great as long as the earth was flat, as soon as you get into the hills they can't engine brake down hill, they just can't hold the weight back on long downhill ranges.
    Is it standard ? I know someone with a 1100 NMs tune , he had 1300 going thought it but it was a bit much and had it wound back, itís his work Ute but also his pleasure ute.

  8. #23
    Ausfish Platinum Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Seaforth QLD & Cairns

    Re: My 4 x 4 is dangerous

    Quote Originally Posted by chris69 View Post
    Is it standard ? I know someone with a 1100 NMs tune , he had 1300 going thought it but it was a bit much and had it wound back, itís his work Ute but also his pleasure ute.
    Not sure if you're asking was our Hilux standard or is our 79?
    The Hilux was stock as a rock, power wasn't it's problem as such, it was engine braking. We used to do the Kangaroo Valley Range and Brown Mountain Range a lot and would constantly have issues with not having the engine braking and having to use the brakes a lot to slow it down going down the ranges. Empty it was fine, but put 3.5t of trailer on the back, it didn't like it at all.

    The 79 has almost everything you can do done to it, but having the engine braking of a V8 made the trips a lot safer.
    Cheers
    Corry

  9. #24

    Re: My 4 x 4 is dangerous

    Corry, I think you need to turn the 79 into a 6 wheeler......... room for the camper and still no " dangerous safety " gadgets to worry about.

    LP
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

    For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here





  10. #25

    Re: My 4 x 4 is dangerous

    Just picked up an MY23 2x4 LSU High Rider DMAX a month ago and although I agree the inbuilt safety alarms are a bit annoying, its not as bad as been made out in this thread.

    Yes the driver's door alarm goes off as you need to close it quite hard because the cabin is sealed , cruise is ok once you work out its indosyncocies, economy is I guess ok, handling is fine and it tows my boat like a champ. I only use it to tow the boat so maybe thats why I feel the way I do.

    6 years warranty, fully loaded for 46k ex. Whats not to like?

  11. #26
    Ausfish Platinum Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Seaforth QLD & Cairns

    Re: My 4 x 4 is dangerous

    Quote Originally Posted by Lucky_Phill View Post
    Corry, I think you need to turn the 79 into a 6 wheeler......... room for the camper and still no " dangerous safety " gadgets to worry about.

    LP
    OMG, imagine the turning circle then . It's flat out chucking a u-turn on a normal dual lane road, couldn't imagine how it'd be extended

    I'm hoping all this 'stupid' tax goes away soon, we're looking for a 200 Series to cut into a ute, but with the price of them still, the 79 is gunna have to do.
    Cheers
    Corry

  12. #27

    Re: My 4 x 4 is dangerous

    Are there tuners out there that can turn these functions into an opt in type of thing?
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

  13. #28

    Re: My 4 x 4 is dangerous

    Lovey that's something I will be looking into at a much later date.

    I actually spent a bit of time driving mine over the Christmas break, we did a trip to Biloela and back and found it used 70l less in fuel compared to the 200 series 12 months earlier. 130l used compared to 200l in the cruiser.

    Maybe it's just me being old school but I hate the fact that a computer takes control of the car when driving.

    I don't know how many times I went to drive around a parked car up the road and had the Dmax steer me back into it because I went over the white line. It was a sharp reminder to turn the lane assist off.

    One other feature that would be nice to turn off is the automatic breaking function if it thinks you are about to have a crash. I was doing 60 in the right hand lane and a posty bike was turning right in front of me, I was sliding left to leave plenty of room to go around as the bike was moving through the intersection and the dmax locked the brakes up. It scared the absolute crap out of me and almost caused the car behind me to rear end me.

    For an experienced driver a lot of these features are super dangerous but I do see a lot of drivers out there that would benefit from them, especially P platers like the one that ran into the back of my mates boat at a giveway sign on Saturday. He just paid it off last year and it's looking like it will be a write off.

    I've given the Dmax back to the missus to drive until I have enough coin to set it up the way I want it. I'll stick to the 5 year old Hilux for the time being.

  14. #29

    Re: My 4 x 4 is dangerous

    Do the current MUX have the same issues?
    Jack.

  15. #30

    Re: My 4 x 4 is dangerous

    I'm guessing they would as they are basically the same vehicle with a different body. It would be the same for the new BT50s as well.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Join us