Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Reels on a budget (<$400)

Re: Reels on a budget (<$400)

Quote Originally Posted by Dignity View Post
    As with Volvo, my limit is $400.
    For a spinner under $400 the Penn Slammer IV is definitely worth it, the 5500 has 18kg drag is ipx6, I have no desire to be using it under water any way, and it is a real workhorse. I have the Slammer III 5500 and that medium sized reel has been hit hard by wahoo, spaniards etc and never missed a beat. I used to have bigger reels but found that their weight etc wasn't for me and I found the smaller reel size actually didn't have an affect on my usability. I don't go spinning for surface fish or hard jigging where the bigger ones would be better so they are fine for me.

My reel mechanic was very disappointed in the Stella's he's been servicing lately - all new ones, not impressed with the drags and some parts have gone plastic and overall build seems inferior, his humble opinion.

In the smaller reels I do like those Siennas, they have handled everything I've thrown at them and have yet to destroy or replace one. Cheap as chips when on special.
    I’ve had issues with the line roller bearing in my slammer 3’s but apart from that they are pretty robust reels with heaps of cranking power thanks to the big handle

Quote Originally Posted by tunaticer View Post
    I have no complaints with any of my Stradics....i don't have any of the Ci4 models though....they are not as good.
    Have two Revo Beasts and they are an honest reel for the dollars....good drags and handle the tough stuff.
    have two revo 40 beasts i use with 50 for cod fishing tough reels

Heres a video using a penn 560 from memory really nice reels

https://youtube.com/shorts/8p7rJrQ4hVM?feature=share

A salmon on the penn 560 reel

Salmon on a penn 260 bait runner ht100 drag not as smooth as shimano

A bit better video shimano sienna 2500 8lb jarvis walker line 10lb leader 1kg rod $6 from ebay

Another kingy on the shimano sienna awesome $50 reels

Had lots of fun with these mates but we rarely go out now

Quote Originally Posted by chris69 View Post
    There's better baitcaster's under $400 than spinners under $400 that's for sure ,anything with cast gears just don't buy is wont last long ,and the best way to test cheaper reels i to throw slugs at mack tuna and longtial's and see how long it holds up for.
    Yeh , there seems to be & good options away from the Shimano & Daiwa stable .

Admittedly all my baitcasters are Daiwa except two ...... I did buy once a high end Pfleuger which pretty well became an Asprin when I used it in the salt .

When on special you can pick up a Shimano Curado DC for under $400 ...... a nice reel

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by Billy C View Post
    Shimano stradics are great value reels for about $300. I’m also a big fan of the thunnus range. Have a 12000 and 8000. Was very disappointed in the Shimano bio master. The handle on a 10000 crapped out after one trip and a replacement cost me $120.
    Probably one of the most popular lower / mid priced reel on the market ...... I'm not sure if the current model is anywhere as good as the pre CI4

If you are looking for a nice bread & butter reel ...... it's not a bad choice.

One thing that I can say about the CI4 is you wont get the corrosion that generally plagues reels at this price point .

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Saragossa Vs Slammer IV ????

I know plenty who own at least one of these babies - which one would be the better reel ?

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post

I know plenty who own at least one of these babies - which one would be the better reel ?

Chris
    Saragossa are becoming popular among the charter operators that I go with at least . Matt
    A bad days fishing has got to be better than any day at work......

Quote Originally Posted by bluefin59 View Post
    Saragossa are becoming popular among the charter operators that I go with at least . Matt
    It's certainly a workhorse reel ...... I've never liked them because of their bulk / wt

Didn't Nomad switch to Slammers some time back ?

I bought a Slammer 3 some time back - picked it up for half price when one of our tackle stores closed ...... I thought it would make a great mates reel - never used it in anger & ended up selling it & making a tidy profit.

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Chris
    With about 15gms heavier I'd go Slammer IV, cheaper, better drag system out of the box,two different knob handles supplied and even looks better.
    I've been moving away from Shimano un recent years as their quality has been going down in their efforts to reduce weights. High end game fishing I'd look at them but that's not what I do.

Chris
    I’d go Saragosa over Slammer III but can’t comment on the Slammer IV

Quote Originally Posted by Dignity View Post
    With about 15gms heavier I'd go Slammer IV, cheaper, better drag system out of the box,two different knob handles supplied and even looks better.
    I've been moving away from Shimano un recent years as their quality has been going down in their efforts to reduce weights. High end game fishing I'd look at them but that's not what I do.
    Yeh , I've been saying this for over a decade now ....... with the exception of their overheads & a couple of their higher end baitcasters - I'd give them the miss too ....... oh & the Thunnus

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

I’ve got a 5000 and 10000 Saragossa brand new in box spooled with suffix 832 30 and 50 pound braid if anyones interested

spooled and put in the rod rack and not used as were spares

Have a little Quantam Infinity Baitcaster (Silver) Reel coupled to a Penn Battalion 602 if i remember correctly (Should go take a Pic of both). Reel Spooled with 30lb Braid.
    Now that outfit has fought n Landed more Black jew over the meter mark than i can remember ?? not to mention a Threadie up at Port Alma that went a fair way across the mates Boat (Huge Beast !!) no tape to measure give an honest length .

Now both Rod n Reel i dare say would not have cost over $400 with Braid attatched . BUT!! that Reel is serviced/pulled apart ,cleaned n oiled whenever i am bored and looking for something to do beside sharpen my knives lol..

Must look after your gear and not fully load a drag up to its limits to say a Reel is worthy or not.
    If your going to Chase marlin , Huge Tuna , and the likes then Yes a worthy Value Reel would be a must..
    Caught three nice Sailfish one after the other on my Abu 9000 many Moons ago with patience at hand , was my and still is my Fav Mackeral Reel , Lipper Grunter (Offshore) and general take along reel for outside..

Fin Nor lethal 100 ..... almost bullet proof 140 bucks

BigE

Quote Originally Posted by BigE View Post
    Fin Nor lethal 100 ..... almost bullet proof 140 bucks

BigE
    Yep Primal 10HS and Penn Squall both simmillar class ..