Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Went for a flick today

Went for a flick today

Decided to go for a flattie flick today as I had a window of opportunity.
    Had a request from a friend to give his friend some advice on land based fishing but not having done it for a while took him with me instead.

I fished last week in a couple of spots that seemed to fire but not today. Tried some places that hadn't worked for me for at least 2 years and came up trumps.

We kept 4 fish 57 - 63cm let many more go including the lovely 73cm specimen.

Good day all round (chilly start at 8.5°C).
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Went for a flick today

Great effort Sam. Well done.

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish forums
    The wait is finally over.........was worth every minute..........let the RIPTIDE rip..........hell yehhhh

looks like a good bit of weather to be out
    congrats

Nice Job Sam...

Looks like cracking weather quite unlike up here which is blowing 20 knots and cold showery days...every day..!

What did they bite on..?

Some nice fish to put a bend in the rod so worth the the cold start, there should be some nice fish coming in soon with the good flush out.

Quote Originally Posted by disorderly View Post
    Nice Job Sam...

Looks like cracking weather quite unlike up here which is blowing 20 knots and cold showery days...every day..!

What did they bite on..?
    Scott, started off on Atomic Prongs in Radioactive Chicken which was the favourite last week but when it slowed down changed to Zmans Streakz in midnight oil or similar seemed to turn them on.

Quote Originally Posted by Dignity View Post
    Had a request from a friend to give his friend some advice on land based fishing but not having done it for a while took him with me instead.

I fished last week in a couple of spots that seemed to fire but not today. Tried some places that hadn't worked for me for at least 2 years and came up trumps.

Well done Mate and how good when the Fish turn up .
    Was losing faith there a tad myself as most my Fishing Possies seemed to be drying up but last few trip the Whiting have been partying .

That's a nice flatty ...... awesome .

I see that NSW fisheries have now brought in a slot limit for Dusky flathead - > 70cm = no take

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    That's a nice flatty ...... awesome .

I see that NSW fisheries have now brought in a slot limit for Dusky flathead - > 70cm = no take

Chris
    But left the minimum at 36cm, also a bag limit which is good to see.

The Flathead are pretty thick at the moment, seems to be the same every year, June and July are the peak then they start thinning out and by October you struggle to get a couple, i went out on the 22nd June and broke my previous record of 26, fished from daylight till 12.30 and boated 36 and left them biting, best was 68cm.
    My limit on keeping a fish to eat is now 56cm or so, not worth keeping one bigger as they are our breeders, and caught a lot of fish on the Eco gear prawn vibe, these lures are great but only if you buy bigger stinger hooks and get rid of the tiny hooks that come with the lure..

Took the Grand daughter out today with the wife, nice and cool early but beautiful day, grand daughter 10 has only ever caught a few fish so we had her drifting a white bait on small gang hooks and i was throwing lures and letting her pull in all the fish i hooked, now here is the danger for all the trophy fisherman, after letting her pull in a dozen or so flathead 45cm and under i hooked up on the eco gear prawn vibe ( fitted with bigger assist hooks} and passed her the rod, all hell broke loose then and after a big fight she had a 79 cm flathead in the net, its been 8 years since ive caught a flathead over 75 cm and would have been 1000 fish since but she bagged it..

For those wanting a giggle, the video of my grand daughter catching that flatty is on the gladstone all things fishing site, my reaction to realizing ive handed over my rod with the biggest flathead ive caught in 8 years is embarrassing to say the least, but she handled it like a pro..
    Facebook

But left the minimum at 36cm, also a bag limit which is good to see.
    apparently only 5% of Females but 75% of males are sexually mature at that size. I’d like to see them adopt the 40cm MLS that QLD has so that the females get more of a chance to spawn before being caught. I like the upper slot limit which will do wonders for the fishery but a bit of help at the bottom end could go a long way too.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

Quote Originally Posted by Lovey80 View Post
    apparently only 5% of Females but 75% of males are sexually mature at that size. I’d like to see them adopt the 40cm MLS that QLD has so that the females get more of a chance to spawn before being caught. I like the upper slot limit which will do wonders for the fishery but a bit of help at the bottom end could go a long way too.

Couldn't agree more, minimum on my boat is 45cm.
    However in saying that I once resd an article where the further south you go the earlier they msture, I'll need to locate it.

Hey alleycat do you have a link to the video.

Couldn't agree more, minimum on my boat is 45cm.
    However in saying that I once resd an article where the further south you go the earlier they msture, I'll need to locate it.

Hey alleycat do you have a link to the video.
    I put it up, hope you can see it, from the Gladstone all things fishing, click again on video..
    Gladstone all things FISHING | My old man who goes flathead fishing atleast 3 times a week and always cleans up catching 30 or more a session but rare to get over 60cm | Facebook