Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Went for a flick today

Re: Went for a flick today

Quote Originally Posted by Dignity View Post
    I think they should have gone to Spec Savers.

To stay away from my covid wife I went out for a flick, got into the area I wanted to really work over and I'm sitting about 4 to 5 metres away from the bank moving slowly forward using the leccy when around the corner comes another tinnie loaded with crab pots running 2 metres off the bank. Now there was 50 metres clear to other other bank and I expected him to go around but NO, he decided he wanted to come between me and the bank I was fishing. Of course I had the first bite in an hour just as he was coming through and dropped a nice flattie around 50cm at the boat, I dropped the rod tip down a bit and he came back up and was about to snaffle the SP when he took fright of this other boat. Bugger. Anyway this other boat motors about 10 metres in front of me and does a big U turn and drops a pot straight for where I was heading.

Now normally I would say something but there were 2 blokes in the boat and each one was twice the size of me and about 20 years younger. The skipper looks at me and says "you know there's a deep hole over there" pointing in some strange direction and I replied, "I know where the holes are around here". I think his mate got the pun as he gave me a sheepish wave but the skipper was just too dumb.

Anyway I moved around the corner as they continued to drop pots along the stretch of waterway I really wanted to spend a bit of time working out different lures, strategies etc. I did think of telling them that in about 1.5 hrs the tide will have dropped (this is about 11am, and their pots will have been exposed till about 6pm by which time they wouldn't be able to get in to this area till well after dark, in fact they couldn't get in till about 10am tomorrow but using my wifes advice I just kept my mouth closed.

Still, a nice day n the water, a big dark grey cloud came over but I gave it a look and it realised I'd been annoyed enough and went away. Very few boats n the water today so it was quite peaceful.
    Makes the blood boil when they run between you and the bank your fishing, some even have the nerve to wave to you, and so many crab pots out there sometimes, i wish they had a closed season from March to October for crabbing..

Quote Originally Posted by Funchy View Post
    gday AC

my best is 92cm caught on a full moon around 7:30pm a few years back. I’ve caught about 8 flathead in the 80’s in the last 10 years I reckon. Really wanna crack a tonne
    Ive only seen one at 4foot when i was a kid off the military jetty at golden beach, i was fishing off that and a old guy in a 10foot tiny and a seagull outboard was fishing out from the jetty, he fort this fish for a long time and i could see the he nearly rolled the boat landing it everyone on the jetty said it looked to be a wobbygong shark so when he made it to the boat ramp i bolted over and was in shock to see this gigantic flathead and its head was as big as a shovel and the guy measure it in front of me with an old fold out wooden ruler and still to this day ive never seen one as big ,there a rare catch these days.

Great video for the flathead fans..

Good video, I had to take the daughter's dog for a walk and so only just finished watching it. The weed beds at the northern end of Pumicestone Passage have mostly gone from the areas I would normally chase them once the new bar opened up. I haven't chased them in clear water for quite some time so maybe this is a bit of impetus for me to change what I'm doing.
    We often like to flick behind feeding stingrays as flatties often follow them. Shame he lost that one where he had the underwater drone, looks like the flattie was holding the hook sideways, one reason I prefer the fine wire hooks instead of those heavy commercial jig heads, a better chance of hooking up although the number of times they'll just grab the tails can be infuriating.

Went out Saturday 6 am till 1 pm, tides were not great as i struggle when the bank are covered on rising tides, snot weed and rubbish everywhere, wind came up and stirred up the water and the sad tally was 4 flathead, the biggest was 42 cm, flathead fishing has well past its peak..

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by alleycat View Post
    Went out Saturday 6 am till 1 pm, tides were not great as i struggle when the bank are covered on rising tides, snot weed and rubbish everywhere, wind came up and stirred up the water and the sad tally was 4 flathead, the biggest was 42 cm, flathead fishing has well past its peak..
    Yeah it's a tough time Sept to early Dec then I find the bite picks up again. If I recall you're not a fan of the warmer months because of the wind?

Attachment 126088

its not all bad lads, smallest for us was 38 and largest was a monster that got away

Load the picky up after I recuperate LOL.
    Went chasing Grunter n Salmon today.
    Wife dropped a Monster Blue Salmon n must have been the same one Grandson dropped two days ago r8ght at the back of the Boat as about to place the landing net under him/her LOL
    Gave up in disgust n said we would go get rid of the squid in among our Prawn bait at one of our deep drop spots in case of a Grunter or three .
    Good chance put the new Wwatersnake through a pace or two with the bigger tidal run..
    Shark , nether shark n bang !! " What the ??!!" Said to the Missus "Huge Jewie here !!". " Nah just a bigger shark or Shovely she replied ".
    Jinxed me she did as I dropped it just after.
    Half a dozen more Sharks n Bang again "" knew the bugger was a jew by the way he sucked the bait.
    Missus again insisted it was a shark or Shovely.
    Rod n reel baitcaster I was using was telling me it didna think it could handle what was on the fighting end LOL , but hung On LOL..
    After I don't know how long up comes the biggest Black Jew I've ever caught LOL n I was knackered.
    Actually Miisus just corrected , reckons weve caught bigger??.
    Eager to get him up n release him as Too big to eat as well as no take at present.
    1400 odd he went n back I to the briney .
    Thought he was karked there fer awhile but swam off putting a smile on my noggin LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Funchy View Post
    Yeah it's a tough time Sept to early Dec then I find the bite picks up again. If I recall you're not a fan of the warmer months because of the wind?
    Yep, it was tough on sunday, mind we did offshore instead of flattie flicking but Luke you've got to learn to keep them on the hook. You lost a few good ones.