Thread: Deep DRop Newbie

Deep DRop Newbie

Good Morning ladies and gents,

Firstly do not want to reinvent the reel so if anyone can direct me to previous thread(s) that would be fantastic.

I am looking at purchasing my first deep drop outfit - it may sound lazy but I refer to deep as being 80m plus not like some on here who fish the 100m shallows....

Anyway looking at opinions of reels and batteries in particular but if anyone has an opinion on an all round combo for a first timer happy to hear it. Chasing mainly cod and pearlies but not going to discriminate on any other species I may come across. I live in Maclean NNSW and fish out of sandon usually in a 6m sea adex typhoon.

Looking forward to your thoughts with appreciation.

Cheers,
    Troy

Ausfish Bronze Member Red October's Avatar

Re: Deep DRop Newbie

Hi Troy,
    nothing wrong in using electric reels to fish in 80-100m, it bloody hard work with a manual wind for me. I do exactly this form of fishing out from Yamba when seas and current align. This time of year plenty of pearlies and snapper on the reefs off Yamba and Sandon for that matter. I just use a Daiwa 750 on a Shimano Terez overhead rod, 6' 6" 40-80lb. My crew uses a Shimano pays 400 and a Forcemaster. We have no problem winding up good size fish from these depths. Use 65lb braid and 80lb wind on leader. Not exactly deep drop gear but it handles a few pearlies at a time and the odd cod. I have a few anderson plugs around the boat wired into my house battery via an isolator and fuses, much easier than carrying a spare battery.

Re: Deep DRop Newbie

Cheers Red - thanks for the advice ill look into that combo. I'll talk to my local auto electrician about wiring into the house battery - always paranoid about flattening a battery at sea. Lovely pearlie in your photo - that's what im after...My shoulders are on the way out and one has already had a repair job done so 100m just about does me....
    Cheers, mate. Hope the weather down here settles soon for us weekend fishos.