Thread: People on Board ?

Question People on Board ?

Hey All,

Does anyone know how many people I can legally have on my boat ?

My first boat had a plate which indicated how many, but this one doesnt ?

She's got a 90 HP 2 stroke Mercury on the back, dont know if that matters ?

20220425_124200.jpg

Re: People on Board ?

Im guessing this was has people stumped ?

Qld used to advise on how to calculate it when rego papers were issued, they don't do it any more. You could use the US Coast Guard method - multiply length x width and divide by 15. Remember they use "feet"

A good rule of thumb is as many seats as are provided for passengers while underway. If you have captain and mate up front plus a seat each side of the splash well, call it a limit of four. Ignore the bunks if it has a cabin.

Maritime Safety Victoria recommends a maximum of six people (80kg + 10kg luggage each) in good conditions for 5-5.5m boats, reduced appropriately for adverse conditions or operation on the open sea. IMO you could expect raised eyebrows from Marine Safety if out at sea with more than four adults in a 5.2m boat.

https://transportsafety.vic.gov.au/m...-and-stability

Mine is a tad smaller at 4.9m. It has four seats but you wouldn't want four adults out in it if conditions got nasty - it's really a two up boat with room for a couple of kids in the back when the weather's nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Dignity View Post
    Qld used to advise on how to calculate it when rego papers were issued, they don't do it any more. You could use the US Coast Guard method - multiply length x width and divide by 15. Remember they use "feet"
    17 feet X 7 feet(roughly) =119 / 15 = 7.9, So 8 people ?

Nah, you'd never put 8 people on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mopheus View Post
    A good rule of thumb is as many seats as are provided for passengers while underway. If you have captain and mate up front plus a seat each side of the splash well, call it a limit of four. Ignore the bunks if it has a cabin.

Maritime Safety Victoria recommends a maximum of six people (80kg + 10kg luggage each) in good conditions for 5-5.5m boats, reduced appropriately for adverse conditions or operation on the open sea. IMO you could expect raised eyebrows from Marine Safety if out at sea with more than four adults in a 5.2m boat.

https://transportsafety.vic.gov.au/m...-and-stability

Mine is a tad smaller at 4.9m. It has four seats but you wouldn't want four adults out in it if conditions got nasty - it's really a two up boat with room for a couple of kids in the back when the weather's nice.
    Thanks for that link, There are 4 seats, but my mates boat which is 6 meters and much wider than mine, which also has only 4 seats.

I think 6 is about right, but you would want good conditions. And 80 kilos per adult, this must have been created before craft beers became so popular. My mates who come with me are over 110, I would put them closer to 120, and I'm almost 90. From a handling & safety pov, I would be comfortable with 4 seated adults & gear, in almost all conditions.

The reason I'm asking is, I have 2 kids, so I'm wondering what spare capacity I have left, cause I was heading out yesterday, and a mate wanted to come, and he had 2 kids also, I said it would be too much, but was wondering where I stood legally, if I decided to go on the river instead.

Edit: I see kids under 12 count as half a person. But basically 550kgs of passengers and gear is really the limit.

I'm not sure that any Australian state or territory has legislated that even ABP loading limits are mandatory, so everything (including the ABP) is simply a guide to the captain as to safe loading. At the end of the day, you're the one responsible for ensuring your vessel is stable in the conditions it's operating in. Experience with your particular vessel is part of that. A tinny, a cuddy cabin and a RIB of the same length are all very different beasts when it comes to sea handling and safe load capacity.

You do need mandated safety equipment onboard for all persons though, and if your boat looks overloaded you can pretty much guarantee being stopped by any passing Marine Safety patrols and having your equipment checked - and probably a bit of a chat about your responsibilities as captain.

2 blokes + 4 kids in a 5.2m boat on a river would be fine IMO, safety equipment permitting. We've had 4 seated adults + 2 small kids in mine on a slow-moving river and it was fine. No way I'd do that anywhere but a river though.

If you are in the NT then dont worry yourself about it...

20 people in the Tinny with the skipper pissed as a newt and you are all good to go...No licence or rego needed either..

Darwin sandbar party.jpg

with the cost of fuel it makes sense to have more on board to chip in

I have a 5.2 Seajay centre console n 5 is the max. Depth of motor registry has some formula depending g on weight per person etc. Might pay check it out or suss out you local VMR see if they have any info labels in that regard ??.

Yer my 4.87mt tiller has a build plate for 5 but weight comes into factor too and don't forget life jackets for everyone on board.

Quote Originally Posted by disorderly View Post
    If you are in the NT then dont worry yourself about it...

20 people in the Tinny with the skipper pissed as a newt and you are all good to go...No licence or rego needed either..

Darwin sandbar party.jpg

Its the NT its ok and there's still a bit of free board there to load a few more on.

Even if it is on the ABP it is only a recommendation and not legally enforceable-unless something goes wrong and you may be forced to explain why you thought different

Quote Originally Posted by fisho64 View Post
    Even if it is on the ABP it is only a recommendation and not legally enforceable-unless something goes wrong and you may be forced to explain why you thought different
    If something goes wrong and your ABP says maximum 5 persons on board and you have 6 and one falls over and dies there’s no explaining needed your negligent and going to jail.