Thread: How many in your collection ??

How many in your collection ??

Feck !!!!! just did an update logging in dairy as well as photograph most my Rods n reels " Just incase for Insurance purposes " and was a tad shocked at how may have collected over the years ??..
    How bout all onboard here ??, Your Missus ever say what ya gunna do with all those Rods n Reels lol ??..

Re: How many in your collection ??

TBH I don't care what she thinks about my collection....she will deal with it after i die anyway.
    Jack.

Yeah good question, too many is probably the correct answer.
    A bad days fishing has got to be better than any day at work......

I have some Reels upward of forty year old n still like new. How could one part with these !!?.
    Our Toy collection are they not LOL.

dont mention the lure collection
    i started buying swimbaits and have too many

Quote Originally Posted by Volvo View Post
    Feck !!!!! just did an update logging in dairy as well as photograph most my Rods n reels " Just incase for Insurance purposes " and was a tad shocked at how may have collected over the years ??..
    How bout all onboard here ??, Your Missus ever say what ya gunna do with all those Rods n Reels lol ??..
    Tell her to "think of them as shoes" ........

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by Volvo View Post
    I have some Reels upward of forty year old n still like new. How could one part with these !!?.
    Our Toy collection are they not LOL.
    Why ?

Just recently I was invited over to a locals place for a beer one evening ...... & during the course of the evening ...... it became a fishing show & tell - some really nice game gear came out - custom rods etc . the bloke doesn't own a boat ....... & if he does go & buy a boat - it will be a modest boat that he can go & chase jew in .
    Anyhow - then he showed me a pair of " near mint " seascape overhead reels that he recently acquired & intended to use ....... WTF I told him that these belong in a museum .... that's it . the bloke pined for old Butterworth rods .......

my point is that - why do people hang on to old gear ? ....... OK I get the sentimental value (pops old ... nigger outfit - Avon Royale reel ) . ..... & if you had an old Finnor Tycoon game reel or Hardy Bros game reel ...... collectors pieces . But for most part - even gear that is 15 years old is surpassed by what is available today . I've recently given gear away to a young bloke who wanted to learn baitcasting ...... so I flicked him a couple of outfits which have sat in my cupboard & weren't being used .

I had 15 baitcast rods ...... i'd use 4 of them - some were cutting edge in the day ..... but not today.

my take is that unless it has sentimental value , is rare , custom made ..... or it's just a sensational bit of kit - piss it off .

a 20 year old Shimano Stella or 40 yo Penn Squidder , 50yo Seascape ..... is just history . ...... sell them or give it to a museum. ...... then buy something decent.

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

We used to have a member with a signature that said something like : “my greatest fear is that when I die, my wife will sell my fishing gear for what I told her I paid for it”. 😂🤣
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

might want to review the insurance replacement costs considering the cost of everything going up.

I dunno, the older I get the less "stuff" I am comfortable having....and I'm only 55. Only one motorcycle now, could shrink firearm count to 2, just sold my ute.... I think tools are the only thing I still accumulate.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by TheRealPoMo View Post
    I think tools are the only thing I still accumulate.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    If you have kids no matter what age, that is s given.

Showed my son some of the old stuff Ive got, penn 850 spinfisher the good old one and a butterworth barra buster rod, and said that this was considered minimum requirement for port Philip snapper, well he just pissed himself, then I went on to find the odd abu 6500's the shimano convergance rods, the butterworth surf rods and even an Alvey owned by me a southener, I just cant throw these out cause of sentimentality to be honest, but bloody hell there's more stuff as well.

Took the 850 and barrabuster out to westernport last week for I dont know why? big heavy bucket of shit really, things have changed, still wont get rid of them though.

For the life of me - I just cant get sentimental over fishing gear & overtime I've been selling bits & pieces ..... or just giving it away .

From my own experiences fishing gear that doesn't get used just collects dust , rusts away , seizes up & just gets in the way .

I reckon before my next trip north , I'll sit down & have another cull

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO