Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bathy maps

Re: Bathy maps

Bit of info for others thinking of subscribing to bathy maps and forking out $88..
    Couldnt resist and took the leap which i regret as the Clarity is not what i thought it would be for premium Subscription.
    Tried on my PC , tablet and phone and stuill not impressed !!.
    maybe up north might show up a tad better but not for my area at least !!..

Ausfish Bronze Member Ah Me Ting's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Volvo View Post
    Bit of info for others thinking of subscribing to bathy maps and forking out $88..
    Couldnt resist and took the leap which i regret as the Clarity is not what i thought it would be for premium Subscription.
    Tried on my PC , tablet and phone and stuill not impressed !!.
    maybe up north might show up a tad better but not for my area at least !!..
    Good feedback for others.

Have you tired the Navionics App on ya phone or tablet? It's a free trial for 14 days, $35 / yr thereafter. It's worth a look.
    When my wife calls, tell her I'm in "Ah Me Ting"

Ah Me Ting = 2019 Quintrex 420 Renegade (Tohatsu 50hp 2 Stroke)

Play around with the layers a bit Volvo....

The clarity is usually so good you can basically see individual rocks, pinnacles and even wonky holes..

New update has another layer too to give a more clear, less pixelated view on zoom...give it a shot...

https://www.facebook.com/BathyMaps/p...48928296649410

There is also a good article about Bathymaps in the March Fish and Boat mag as well...(as well more lure colour stuff from Ronje..)

Quote Originally Posted by disorderly View Post
    Play around with the layers a bit Volvo....

The clarity is usually so good you can basically see individual rocks, pinnacles and even wonky holes..

New update has another layer too to give a more clear, less pixelated view on zoom...give it a shot...

https://www.facebook.com/BathyMaps/p...48928296649410

There is also a good article about Bathymaps in the March Fish and Boat mag as well...(as well more lure colour stuff from Ronje..)
    play around with the layers ??

Quote Originally Posted by Volvo View Post
    play around with the layers ??
    The "Info" link at the top of the page takes you to a bunch of tutorials....

If you need anything further you can contact the guys directly. They are really helpful...

But the tutorials will certainly get you up and running and they will even tell you how and what to look for to get amongst those big monsters of the deep......

Yep looked at the tutes as well as writing direct .. Clarity when zooming in is my problem as it goes pixelated ...
    Years back could nearly do the same with Bonzle which was much clearer too..

Quote Originally Posted by disorderly View Post
    It really depends on what you want to do with them and how good they are in your area..

If you are not sure that you are getting the most out of your sonar then maybe doing a course like Ryan moody's Sounder skills 2 can help as can searching youtube for various tutorials but the good thing about Ryans for us is that its very specific for the type of fish and ground that we are targeting in FNQ...I was quite amazed when i did this course how much I actually picked up..

Have fun with the new rig..
    I just looked at Ryan Moody's sounder 2 course and its $600. Holt sheeeet

Quote Originally Posted by Ah Me Ting View Post
    Good feedback for others.

Have you tired the Navionics App on ya phone or tablet? It's a free trial for 14 days, $35 / yr thereafter. It's worth a look.
    I do have the Navionics app on my Ipad & the detail (for want I want to do ) is excellent ....... so rather just seeing the rings on a chart you actually have the detail of the structure showing gutters etc Navionics app.jpg

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by Brettoh View Post
    I just looked at Ryan Moody's sounder 2 course and its $600. Holt sheeeet
    Yeah mate...Ryan is getting a bit greedy..

2 years back we paid just $229 for the course with 6 months inner circle thrown in (which is a bit of a wank anyway)

Good course but most stuff you can find on Youtube anyway so not worth $600 IMO and the monthly subscription "inner circle" is a bit of a wank..I wonder how many people just sign up and never bother checking in but just have Ryan taking out $20 every month from their bank account and some signed up for multiple groups at $20 a month per group....?...

The sounder "inner circle" currently has 681 members each paying $20 per month and he has other different "inner circle"groups for his various courses (wonky holes, Barra basics, finding fingermark study group etc).....

Barra basics has over 1200 members BTW...

and remember to join the $20 a month groups you must have also paid for and completed the actual courses for that group..and like us not everyone continues with a $20 a month subscription to each group...

Do the math and you will start to be amazed..

The bloke has a lot of knowledge and the courses are good so if people are willing to pay for it then well done..he has set up an amazing online business and the subscription model just gives him an incredible paycheck every month even after the initial course course fee's..

We will just stick with bathymaps..I think its good value and perfect for our area..

I'd like to get a Bath Map of Lake Wivenhoe but no such map exists. I had done some projects on Lake Wivenhoe with SEQWater and UQ, mostly lungfish and zoo plankton sampling.

I asked SEQWater whether they had a navigation or bath map of the area...no was the response.

Would be great if one was made, Government funding support would be ideal instead of funding community skate board parks

Quote Originally Posted by bondy99 View Post
    I'd like to get a Bath Map of Lake Wivenhoe but no such map exists. I had done some projects on Lake Wivenhoe with SEQWater and UQ, mostly lungfish and zoo plankton sampling.

I asked SEQWater whether they had a navigation or bath map of the area...no was the response.

Would be great if one was made, Government funding support would be ideal instead of funding community skate board parks
    As far as things go with this Bathy maps thing ,its all good in America were hundreds move around a lake with wifi turned on and there sounders transmitting the info up to the cloud for everyone to share thats how i though it all worked other than what your sounder is mapping if its all set up to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by chris69 View Post
    As far as things go with this Bathy maps thing ,its all good in America were hundreds move around a lake with wifi turned on and there sounders transmitting the info up to the cloud for everyone to share thats how i though it all worked other than what your sounder is mapping if its all set up to do it.
    I was using UQ research vessel 32 ft. There was no navionics chart for freshwater lake. I was reading the depth every few mins, Launched at Hamon Cove, finding the location of the old brisbane river wasn't easy,, followed the old river bed for few clicks, then search for a particular bay, bay located, surveyed area for 6 hours. Plotted a track to follow back to Hamon Cove.

Our boating safety officer just said good luck with it.

Lowrance social maps have all S.E. Qld dāms plotted and available for free. I think they are called Genesis Social Maps. I've got Wivenhoe and Somerset and seem to be accurate.
    I think Lowrance users have uploaded their soundings over the years to make charts.

Sent from my vivo 1904 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by aussie9 View Post
    Lowrance social maps have all S.E. Qld dāms plotted and available for free. I think they are called Genesis Social Maps. I've got Wivenhoe and Somerset and seem to be accurate.
    I think Lowrance users have uploaded their soundings over the years to make charts.

Sent from my vivo 1904 using Tapatalk
    CMaps provide free access for detailed sonar maps of inland waterways across Australia. However, you are now required to subscribe to access your own sonar recordings (16 in my case) which I find rather frustrating. No more freebies for Lowrance from this fisho. SS

Quote Originally Posted by seastrength View Post
    CMaps provide free access for detailed sonar maps of inland waterways across Australia. However, you are now required to subscribe to access your own sonar recordings (16 in my case) which I find rather frustrating. No more freebies for Lowrance from this fisho. SS

So you have to pay for your soundings twice , yer that’s the way they will all go , they should be paying you for the info your fuel used to travel the ground and they get to keep it all to make a better map to sell back to everyone ,that’s real time surveying at a fraction of the cost.