Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: getting back into fishing

getting back into fishing

Hi all
    after a 30yr absence from fishing, I've decided to start wetting a line again.

I could use some help though; my head is spinning from all the reading I've been doing.

I have a 8-10 kg stick for a spin reel (Penn 6601 TLBM ) and a 10-15kg stick (Penn 6601 OHBHT) for an overhead.

I'm in Adelaide so we are talking snapper, kingfish mulloway, tuna.

What would you recommend for line (mono or braid) and reels? (braid just started to get popular when I got out of fishing )

Just to complicate things a bit; I may want to visit WA at some stage (up around Exmouth) and/or Qld. (around Whitsundays)

Any replies would be greatly appreciated.

cheers

Re: getting back into fishing

30lb braid on both setups...look for an 8 carrier braid.
    Use suitable leaders for your fish.
    use about 2m of leader minimum in clear water.
    Jack.

Yeh , go with braid (30lb) but learn to tie the right knots .

Probably best to start with something like fins braid till you get use to it ...... then something like Tasline or Nomad Pandora

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

thanks for the replies

ok, so braid is the way to go.

Big question is what reels?

Quote Originally Posted by Doubledark View Post
    thanks for the replies

ok, so braid is the way to go.

Big question is what reels?
    That would depend on your budget & what you are after

one or two ?

Overhead & or spin ?

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    That would depend on your budget & what you are after

one or two ?

Overhead & or spin ?

Chris
    Looks like 1 of each based on the rods he quoted.

yes; one of each.

Budget - I've learnt not to buy cheap garbage but I cant afford to be silly....so maybe $250-$450 per reel

yes; one of each.

Budget - I've learnt not to buy cheap garbage but I cant afford to be silly....so maybe $250-$450 per reel
    For the spin rod have a look at the PennBattle III series, found them to be a solid reel with excellent drag.

The Shimano Saragossa sits nicely in that slot - probably the most highly regarded too

Me - Seeing that snapper are one of the main target species - I'd go Shimano Thunnus 8000 for the spin reel ($300ish) ..... great reel with that baitrunner feature .
    What you save on the spin reel - put into the overhead & get yourself a Shimano Talica 12 ( it might cost you a little more)

All of these reels would serve you well .

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Either the Penn or the Shimano will do the job. The more you spend on the overhead the better IMO. The high end ones these days will last a life time.

the other thing I’d suggest is don’t bother experimenting with all the different braid to leader knots. Learn to do the FG not straight out of the gate and it is the only one you’ll really ever need unless you get right into the high end game fishing knots for big Marlin and tuna.

Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

Totally agree. The latest Penn Battle III is much better than previous builds, even the drag system is waterproof and what a drag, beats my Saragossa.
    Chris, bait runner style is ok but I've lost too many fish when in bait runner mode so now it is just extra machinery in my reels. Love them for inshore work but been reefed offshore too many times to make it worthwhile using. I guess for your fishery it would work better.

Thanks Lovey I just learned the FG knot finally!

Sent from my iPad using Ausfish forums

Quote Originally Posted by Dignity View Post
    Totally agree. The latest Penn Battle III is much better than previous builds, even the drag system is waterproof and what a drag, beats my Saragossa.
    Chris, bait runner style is ok but I've lost too many fish when in bait runner mode so now it is just extra machinery in my reels. Love them for inshore work but been reefed offshore too many times to make it worthwhile using. I guess for your fishery it would work better.
    Being a South Australian who would be fishing for Snapper , Mulloway , Kings & Tuna ..... the Thunnus is the absolute ideal bait fishing reel for the Snapper , Mulloway & mid size kings particularly because of the baitrunner feature . The other thing is that you don't have to use the baitrunner feature.
    You are correct though in saying that down our way the Thunnus would work better ..... & it does , so much so that several fishoes that have fished with me have converted over to them after seeing them in action (the benefits). These days I have 3 of them & probably a 4th before the ANZAC Evans trip...... they are that good for baitfishing.

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Thanks again everyone for replying.

I looked at the Shimano Saragossa and Penn Slammer IV today; both impressive.

The
    Shimano Thunnus is out of stock everywhere I looked but the bait runner feature would be nice for snapper.

For WA; the
    Saragossa or Slammer might be the better choice and for SA, the Shimano Thunnus.

I also looked at a couple of rods;
    Shimano Terez.TZS70M (7') and a TZS79STK (7'9" PE 3-8 -)....wondering if slightly too long on a boat?

Thanks again everyone for replying.

I looked at the [FONT="]Shimano Saragossa and Penn Slammer IV today; both impressive.

The [/FONT]
    [FONT="]Shimano Thunnus is out of stock everywhere I looked but the bait runner feature would be nice for snapper.

For WA; the [/FONT]
    [FONT="]Saragossa[/FONT][FONT="] or Slammer might be the better choice and for SA, the [/FONT][FONT="]Shimano Thunnus.

I also looked at a couple of rods; [/FONT]
    [FONT="]Shimano Terez.[/FONT][FONT="] [/FONT][FONT="]TZS70M (7') and a TZS79STK (7'9" PE 3-8 -)....wondering if slightly too long on a boat?[/FONT]
    [FONT="]
    [/FONT]
    I must be getting old, keep writing Battle III when I meant Slammer III, have both reels, the slammer is the pick. From memory that first Terez has a smaller footprint for the reel seat, I'll have to check it out tomorrow to be sure.