Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carmila out to Percy's??

Carmila out to Percy's??

Evening all, a few of us are considering a few nights camping at middle/south Percy through the year. It will be hotshot and return Toowoomba on a weather window so no holidaying either side of 2 or 3 nights camping. Is dropping the boats (7m type lengths) in at somewhere like Carmila and running out to the percy's a better option than Stanage to avoid the arduous drive in. Essentially same driving time (according to google). Probably a few extra miles on the water but avoiding stanage seems to be a good idea given the nature of the trip. Not familiar with that part of the world.
    Scott

Re: Carmila out to Percy's??

Carmila has huge tides and minimal facilities. You might be better to consider departing from Sarina inlet, which isn't that much further north.

Sent from my SM-T575 using Tapatalk

Im in Mackay and had a look at Sarina inlet ramp recently. It looked quite exposed to be honest but havent used it.
    Toecutter, have you launched there? Do larger boats struggle?

I launched a 6.5m from there a few times a while back. There are two ramps the old one and the new one. The old one is more protected than the newer, but is more tide dependent iirc.

Sent from my SM-T575 using Tapatalk

Thanks all for that feedback. Sounds as though a bit more research is needed! It may work out that going via stanage is best, ill do some research.

rgds, Scott

Let us know what you choose

I’ve been to the islands a bit but not by trailer boat. There’s a good anchorage in the mangroves just east of the A frame on Middle Percy if the weather goes south. There’s always boats in there.

Hay Point looks ok but 105 km to Middle Percy. Only 40 odd to the Beverly Group. 60 km to Curlew. I've been told that there's no way in hell I should tow my glass boat into Stanage!

I'd be keen to hear how your planning goes. It's a part of the world that I'd like to see.

Quote Originally Posted by CT View Post
    Hay Point looks ok but 105 km to Middle Percy. Only 40 odd to the Beverly Group. 60 km to Curlew. I've been told that there's no way in hell I should tow my glass boat into Stanage!

I'd be keen to hear how your planning goes. It's a part of the world that I'd like to see.
    I've been told that no way in hell I should tow an alloy boat to Stanage

Ahhhh Stanage ...... that mythical place & the destroyer of boat trailers -

Is it worth the effort ?

Like everyone else - I'd love to get my boat to Stanage .

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by CT View Post

Lots of stone protection ......Stone guards , shade cloth on the trailer , Wrap your motor up

Drive slowly ..... that's my challenge

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Stanage Great place need to do all of Naggs suggestions near 100 k of rough dusty corrugations have been several times, only mishap was loss of a couple of rollers on a 6m plate

cheers COL

Thanks all, maybe stannage is the best option even with the road, not so much about a 2 week fishing holiday, more about finding the best option SEQ percy's return (3 nights beach camping on weather window) so comes down to time burnt travelling and then on water travel (and other variables that come with that). Not being familiar with that part of the world the best option may be to go to sarina and look at those other island options instead of percys. all good info. Thanks.
    Scott

Towed a glass boat into stanage plenty of times.
    Just takes ages at 30-40km/h.
    It really is the best option to access islands off there.

Best way is to do it at night. that way you have far less cars flying past you throwing stones. You can also see car headlights behind you easier and pull over. Oddly its easier seeing some of the potholes too.
    Usually takes me 3-4hours to get in. slow and steady.

Quote Originally Posted by Flex View Post
    Towed a glass boat into stanage plenty of times.
    Just takes ages at 30-40km/h.
    It really is the best option to access islands off there.

Best way is to do it at night. that way you have far less cars flying past you throwing stones. You can also see car headlights behind you easier and pull over. Oddly its easier seeing some of the potholes too.
    Usually takes me 3-4hours to get in. slow and steady.
    Is the A frame hut still on the beach in the anchorage at at Percy ??? .

Ausfish Platinum Member

Another launching option is Freshwater Point near Armstrong Beach, just south of Sarina. It's a concrete ramp, still tide dependent to a point, but most ramps in this area are.
    There's also Notch Point, not a lot of dirt to get there, but would need to be careful towing in, people take big vans in there so it is possible. The ramp isn't 'formed' as such, just a road that goes into the water.
    Cheers
    Corry