Thread: Here we go again...

Ausfish New Member

Here we go again...

G'day All, boleropilot here, first post: Started boating back in the '70s in a little 15 foot runabout, one wife and two corgis zipping around Moreton Bay, fun times. There's a little bay just to the East of Horseshoe Bay, we used to sneak in there and camp in a little tent - wouldn't be allowed to do that these days...

Fast forward to retirement days and decided to get back on the water. Boat had to be "comfortable" for two "old" persons so the search led us to an outfit owned by an 85 year old fella who lives in Bundaberg, who stated in his ad that he was "too tired" to use his boat, a '80s (boat, trailer and motor) Nova half cabin with a 140hp Johnson. Turns out the seller built his own 43 foot Roberts (ferro) and sailed it around the world for a couple of decades!!! He calls himself a "retired shipwright" and has put his considerable skills into the Nova, which looks more like a 2006 model than a '86.

First time out we chose Maroon Dam, and the whole ridiculous story of that disaster should be posted on the "Idiots on Boats" forum - what a debacle.
    I may be tempted to tell ya's all about that, even if it's just to save some other poor souls from ending up going through the drama of that oh so eventful day....anyone wanna hear the story?

Anyway, G'day and looking forward to spending some keyboarding time with alla youse folks. Bye for now

BP

Re: Here we go again...

Quote Originally Posted by boleropilot View Post
    G'day All, boleropilot here, first post: Started boating back in the '70s in a little 15 foot runabout, one wife and two corgis zipping around Moreton Bay, fun times. There's a little bay just to the East of Horseshoe Bay, we used to sneak in there and camp in a little tent - wouldn't be allowed to do that these days...

Fast forward to retirement days and decided to get back on the water. Boat had to be "comfortable" for two "old" persons so the search led us to an outfit owned by an 85 year old fella who lives in Bundaberg, who stated in his ad that he was "too tired" to use his boat, a '80s (boat, trailer and motor) Nova half cabin with a 140hp Johnson. Turns out the seller built his own 43 foot Roberts (ferro) and sailed it around the world for a couple of decades!!! He calls himself a "retired shipwright" and has put his considerable skills into the Nova, which looks more like a 2006 model than a '86.

First time out we chose Maroon Dam, and the whole ridiculous story of that disaster should be posted on the "Idiots on Boats" forum - what a debacle.
    I may be tempted to tell ya's all about that, even if it's just to save some other poor souls from ending up going through the drama of that oh so eventful day....anyone wanna hear the story?

Anyway, G'day and looking forward to spending some keyboarding time with alla youse folks. Bye for now

BP
    I'm keen...

We love hearing about others disasters. Takes our mind off the dumb things we have done. Welcome to the forum.

Yeh , welcome to Ausfish

Mate you cant not tell us the story now that you've mentioned it

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Ausfish New Member

Yeah Chris, I get ya, wouldn't be fair would it? The tale starts with getting the boat back home from the seller and then going over the unit with a fine toothed comb, including popping on the muffs and starting the motor - Crikey, it makes some noise with the exhaust roaring unmuffled out of the prop! Sounded like a NASCAR car! Started easy as, ran well. The winch chamfered clutch shaft didn't look good, neither did the tiny little handle that is used if there's a problem with the winch. Well it's only one little retrieve and then we'll get a new winch. Had a quick look under the motor cover and found a disconnected wire, with the two bare wires only an inch away from each other. Obviously come apart, so I rejoined them.

Launched OK at the ramp, started the motor (sounded rough?) and went off away from the ramp - funny noise coming from the throttle assembly, sounds like an alarm? And the motor won't rev past about 1,000rpm - wtf? Quick U-turn and back to the ramp, trailer reversed in, connected winch cable. It's a big boat so us two oldies had a little problem getting it lined up for the trailer, and the First Mate lets out a little yell from the back of the boat. Just a slip, no big deal, but The Captain (of course) rushed to her aid. In the process he went into the water up to his waist.

The Captain then removes the remote control from his pocket and notices straight away that water is dripping out of it - it was in my pocket and got immersed. Full of confidence, I pressed the IN button - nil, zip, nada, bugger all. Dead as dead. So, out comes the little handle, and as expected it just kept spinning on the shaft due to the wear to both it and the shaft. The Captain then decides to submerge the trailer until it is directly under the boat - works fine, safety chain connected and away we go. On the way home the First Mate is in good form. "Buy a boat he said, it'll be fun he said", and one of her favourites "you really know how to show a girl a good time, Dave".

Back home, The Captain sprints to the computer and asks to converse with Mrs Google (she knows everything). "What's that alarm coming out of the throttle box?" is the question. Well, it's an alarm to tell you that there is no oil in the oil pump. And when you hear that, the rpm will be reduced to around 1,000 so you don't blow the whole damn thing up. So why didn't we ever hear that alarm before? And right know anybody reading this will be saying "because the warning wire from the oil pump wasn't connected, that's why". Yep. Exactly. Apparently these 140 Johnson VRO motors had a reputation of oil pump failures, followed quickly by total engine failure because people were miles from land and had to get back somehow. Solution? Disconnect the oil pump and premix the oil with the fuel. Oh, and don't forget to disconnect the alarm warning system.

Sorry about the length of the tale, but I didn't want to leave out any of the fun (and dumb) details. Couple of lessons learnt there folks and hopefully others will not suffer the same.

Cheers,

BP

PS got a new winch and still have a First Mate....

Ausfish Silver Member

So,I gotto ask. Does the fuel have a 50 to1 mix left over from the PO?
    Maybe unhook the wire and just run 2 stroke mix.
    The ol vro s are a pretty bullet proof motor.
    Good luck,it can only get better

When is the next water test ?

Ausfish New Member

hey gunna and tracker - the boat is running on 50:1 premix, tank is stainless steel under floor, 160 litres. on second run we averaged around 20 litres per hour - big boat and heavy, no biggie

the wire was disconnected either by the PO or another previous owner and therefore converted to premix - I wrongly assumed the wire had become disconnected because of the way the wires were just sitting there close to each other with bare ends - that's not the way I disconnect a wire!!! I have sealed the open ends and used little cable ties to locate them securely so anyone can see they are not supposed to be joined up

next trip out will be Maroon Dam, in the next couple of days, that will include a test refuel. gonna put in 25 litres petrol then 1 litre oil then another 25 litres petrol, then drive to the dam - should mix well that way. don't want to put too much in the tank because of fuel going off. tank came with a nice dipstick and a top plate for a fuel gauge mount, I happen to have a very nice little gauge/sender. I am of course aware that the gauge won't read accurately when the boat is on the move.

received 4 sets of 4 rollers for the trailer today, hope to get them on before the next run. she doesn't come onto the plane in a hurry so am considering an aqua foil thingy atm.

cheers guys, I'll keep in touch

BP

Love the story Dave. We all go have at least one like it.
    Pics of the boat?

you’ll have to use the “go advanced” button and manage attachments then upload the pics.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

Dave - that story needed pictures ..... & accompanying honky tonk music .

We do have those days & there are plenty of videos on you tube to prove it .

Looking forward to hearing more of those adventures (without the dramas)

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO