Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quality fishing tools - rust resistant

Quality fishing tools - rust resistant

Hi All

After spending the last couple of weeks cleaning out the boat & getting it prepared for some fishing back down in NSW - I was reminded just how poorly designed & made are the fishing tools I mean with the exception of my Boga grips (genuine Boga grips) & my HPA ceramic braid scissors (Ausfish recommendation ) everything has rusted & it annoys the crap out of me as I'm a little anal when it comes to this stuff .
    BTW , They were all sprayed before I went away.

I mean why sell a pair of pliers for salt water applications as rust resistant when the springs aren't .
    I wish they would take a leaf out of Boga grips book .... Heck they are 15 years old but they certainly don't look like it (yes they are expensive)

So I'm after some recommendations so I can upgrade things like pliers & side cutters . Tools that you've had (have) - pleased with the longevity / performance .... I'll be all ears

We might even compile a bit of a hit list or what to buy or not to buy

Over to you guys

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Re: Quality fishing tools - rust resistant

Hey Nagg,
    Just did a quick Google on the HPA braid scissors and couldn't find any in Australia? Can you remember where you got them from?

I agree with you that not all tools sold as fishing tools are suitable in a salty environment. I don't really have any recommendations on quality tools, I use spray can cooking oil after clean up on almost everything except reels.

TMC

Quote Originally Posted by The Mad Cat View Post
    Hey Nagg,
    Just did a quick Google on the HPA braid scissors and couldn't find any in Australia? Can you remember where you got them from?

I agree with you that not all tools sold as fishing tools are suitable in a salty environment. I don't really have any recommendations on quality tools, I use spray can cooking oil after clean up on almost everything except reels.

TMC
    Rust resistant just means its got a bit of chrome orsimilar on it, I love Black Panther shears, the springs have the same problem though, usually I soak them in lanolin first before I use them and it annoys me when the spring goes as they are not cheap (unless you work in the mines)

Samaki Ceramic Braid Scissors are the go along with pliers. had a good run with them

Ausfish Silver Member Ducksnutz's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Hey Nagg,

TMC
    Hey mate,

Try online for the HPA ceramic braid scissors at Fish Head, Elite tackle or Tackle HQ.

Edit. Found some at Ebb Tide Tackle.
    https://www.ebbtidetackle.com/HPA-braid-scissors/
    Matilda

Ausfish Silver Member Ducksnutz's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    Hi All

After spending the last couple of weeks cleaning out the boat & getting it prepared for some fishing back down in NSW - I was reminded just how poorly designed & made are the fishing tools I mean with the exception of my Boga grips (genuine Boga grips) & my HPA ceramic braid scissors (Ausfish recommendation ) everything has rusted & it annoys the crap out of me as I'm a little anal when it comes to this stuff .
    BTW , They were all sprayed before I went away.

I mean why sell a pair of pliers for salt water applications as rust resistant when the springs aren't .
    I wish they would take a leaf out of Boga grips book .... Heck they are 15 years old but they certainly don't look like it (yes they are expensive)

So I'm after some recommendations so I can upgrade things like pliers & side cutters . Tools that you've had (have) - pleased with the longevity / performance .... I'll be all ears

We might even compile a bit of a hit list or what to buy or not to buy

Over to you guys

Chris
    Hey Chris,

I not only have the HPA ceramic braid scissors but also the HPA split ring pliers in both small and large. They’ve been on the boat for at least the last 5 years and are as good as the set I have on the rigging bench in my Den at home.

https://fishhead.com.au/hpa-split-ring-plier-large/

https://fishhead.com.au/hpa-split-ring-plier-small/

I also recommend the HPA brand in general across all of their accessories. I have their lure storage bag (the best in my humble opinion) and other waterproof bags etc.
    https://fishhead.com.au/hpa-popperstore/

https://fishhead.com.au/hpa-dry-duffle-90l/
    Matilda

Hey Nagg,

TMC
    Ebb Tide .... $44 & they were the last pair

Absolutely love them & I guard them with my life

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by Ducksnutz View Post
    Hey Chris,

I not only have the HPA ceramic braid scissors but also the HPA split ring pliers in both small and large. They’ve been on the boat for at least the last 5 years and are as good as the set I have on the rigging bench in my Den at home.

https://fishhead.com.au/hpa-split-ring-plier-large/

https://fishhead.com.au/hpa-split-ring-plier-small/

I also recommend the HPA brand in general across all of their accessories. I have their lure storage bag (the best in my humble opinion) and other waterproof bags etc.
    https://fishhead.com.au/hpa-popperstore/

https://fishhead.com.au/hpa-dry-duffle-90l/
    I'll say one thing about Fish head - they just seem to sell quality gear

I'll get on line & see what comes up ..... or maybe when I'm up the Gold coast next

Thanks for the heads up

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

I always have a surgical grade hemostat forcep in the boat now. Started carrying them wading the flats and hiking remote country for Saratoga as they’re fantastic hook removers, and cut down on the bulk and weight when walking. The good quality 18cm forceps ($20-30) are all polished stainless and don’t rust. The cheaper ones ($5-10) are still full stainless but don’t know what grade, seem to hold up pretty well too.

Is anyone using the samaki stainless steel tools ? they have a few in the range which look pretty good

Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Is anyone using the samaki stainless steel tools ? they have a few in the range which look pretty good

Ordered a pair of these yesterday - its gotta be better than the rust bucket sure-catch I'm currently using

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

They arrived today - certainly a nice bit of kit

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Ebb Tide .... $44 & they were the last pair

Absolutely love them & I guard them with my life

Chris
    Ordered 2 pair should arrive this week. Thanks for the heads up on them Nagg.

TMC

What type of stainless steel are they made of? 304 or 316?

Quote Originally Posted by Si View Post
    What type of stainless steel are they made of? 304 or 316?
    Sorry man

I can only tell you what is on their web site

Chris

The Samaki Stainless Steel tools are a blend of nickel and steel making them rust resistant yet strong. They are the perfect pliers for removing hooks and come in three great sizes so there's one to suit all your fishing needs. A must have for your tackle box!! Samaki premium Stainless Steel tools have been developed from the ground up, the perfect blend of surgical stainless and nickel makes these pliers rust resistant yet strong. Every tool is hand polished to ensure comfortable use and long term performance. The Comprehensive range suits all fishing applications.
    I also picked up a smaller pair of bent nose pliers - look like the same quality as the large pair .
    I've got a 10 day trip in late April ..... I'll soon know if the can hack it or not as tools rust pretty quickly on these multidayers.

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO