Thread: Hydrastar/ redarc towpro issues

Hydrastar/ redarc towpro issues

I have the redarc towpro elite and hydrastar brake actuator and have been having issues where the brakes will not release immediately. When the brake pedal is released the trailer brakes stay on for 3-4 seconds then release like normal. Apparently this is a common issue and is caused by the controller not sensing the brake wire properly and allowing power to stay on in the car wiring harness and can be fixed by adding a resistor in somewhere so that the power releases immediately. Unfortunately that is all the info I can find! Has anyone come across this that can suggest which resistor and where to place it?

Re: Hydrastar/ redarc towpro issues

[QUOTE=wahoofishingcrew;1694882]I have the redarc towpro elite and hydrastar brake actuator and have been having issues where the brakes will not release immediately. When the brake pedal is released the trailer brakes stay on for 3-4 seconds then release like normal. Apparently this is a common issue and is caused by the controller not sensing the brake wire properly and allowing power to stay on in the car wiring harness and can be fixed by adding a resistor in somewhere so that the power releases immediately. Unfortunately that is all the info I can find! Has anyone come across this that can suggest which resistor and where to place it?

would it pay to call up redarc themselves to ask about a recommended fix? I would ask their technical support team

My dmax needed a relay installed in the wiring harness somewhere because I didn’t have the factory loom for the trailer lights that where led
    A bad days fishing has got to be better than any day at work......

Agree with the comment about contacting Redarc, found them very helpful. What I found was the Black wire (very thin) that was wired to the plug wasn't getting power through to the unit, it had been connected somewhere under the wheel arch and too much trouble for me to follow and fix, probably same issue as Bluefin. I isolated it and installed a much heavier gauge wire and no problems since.

Wahoofishingcrew. I have been down this route (twice, my fault). I run the Hydrastar electric over hydraulic and used to run a Tekonsha P3. I switch over to the TP Elite and it would not recognise that system. Contacted Redarc and they were helpful and told me that the unit does recognise the Hydrastar. Ran meters all over it and it was not sending signal down the 5 pin. recontacted redarc and someone else told me that it will work but I have to calibrate it with electric/electric brakes due to the magnets. I did that and was working well on a camper trailer. As soon as I hooked it up to the boat, nothing. Redarc then advised to install a ballist resistor in the 5 pin between the plug and pump. spliced in an 8ohm valiant resistor and nothing. Pulled it out and went back to Tekonsha and it works flawlessly with Hydrastar.

I have a tow pro elite and hydrastar that seem to work fine together, though I only drive a very short distance to ramp.
    Spoke to a shop in brisbane that repairs hydrastar units and they mentioned hydrastar didn't work well with TP, and I think it was about that the releasing issue mentioned in the original post.

I have the Tekonsha P3 and have used it across a number of platforms and have NEVER had an issue. My brother had the TowPro Elite installed and he too had issues, eventually changing to Tekonsha and had no further problems.

Just our experiences, and I sure others have had good and bad experiences.

What is disappointing is that devices are released to the public and are not really as good as claimed and only work with certain applications.

Sent from my iPad using Ausfish forums

Thanks guys, yes I tried the resistor fix from TP however it didnt change anything. Think I'll get bite the bullet and get a tek P3

Sent from my CPH2197 using Tapatalk

A marina berth will fix all your trailer problems.

Ausfish Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by shortthenlong View Post
    A marina berth will fix all your trailer problems.

---then give you hull fouling problems. But seriously, I have the Towpro Elite, and use it on both the Dexter EOH brakes on the boat trailer and the electric drums on the camper trailer with no problems. Had one on the previous vehicle as well, same deal.

Then he can start a thread about hull fouling.

Anyway back on topic maybe you need a new tow vehicle?

Quote Originally Posted by shortthenlong View Post
    Then he can start a thread about hull fouling.

Anyway back on topic maybe you need a new tow vehicle?
    Stop spending my money!

Sent from my CPH2197 using Tapatalk