Thread: Southwind UB520

Southwind UB520

Hi all, I am just after some information in relation to the Southwind UB520. I am considering purchasing one but am concerned about how wet they may be. I note they have self draining decks but the current owner mentioned if there is alot ofg weight at the bakc of the boat when it is stationary some water comes in the drains. Also, I was able to view wat appears to be the compliance plate which has the serial number on it but it does not have a year of manufacture. The owner states the motor is a 2014 and assumes the boat is the same year but I cannot find any other UB520's in Australia that were made in 2014. The boat is in fantastic condition with a 70hp Suzuki Four Stroke. Keen for any comments in relation to the boats in general or any idea how I can find out the age of the boat. The asking price is currently $32500. Cheers

Re: Southwind UB520

if you typeSouthwind UB520

into the ausfish searchbox there is quite a bit of info there..

Here is one I found just by chance
    http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/sho...outhwind-UB520

Very wet in the rain.....apart from that about average of most similar length open boats.

Only dry boats around spend their life in the desert.
    Jack.

It's a very tidy looking boat going by the photos and the 70 would push it along very nicely. We owned a 580 with a 70 and that went reasonably well.
    The best I can recall Southern Star acquired the moulds and the rights to build the UB,s but went belly up in the 2000,s. I would take a guess the last 2 numbers in the serial number 01 stands for the year 2001. I can't be positive on the manufacture date but I seem to recall our boat had 98 at the end of the serial number and it was registered as a 1998 build when we bought it.
    We found our 580 a great all round boat but it was wet in anything but glassy days off shore so take a raincoat.

TMC

Ausfish Platinum Member

I also owned a UB 580, bought new. They were fitting 50hp as standard, option of 70, went with that. No speed machine, about 32 knots from memory, but a good package. The 520 is just a shortened 580, IIRC? There is one in town here, bloke fishes solo a lot, looks really nice slipping through the slop. Low freeboard, and no storage under the gunwhales. The bow flare pushes the water out and away, but a fresh crosswind means it comes straight back, as with any hull. This one certainly wouldn't be the worst at that--any CC is wet, comes with the territory.

i only sold mine because i had bought a 50ft commercial vessel, and needed the dough/wasn't getting the use any more.