Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The prep and painting thread, Caribbean V19

Re: The prep and painting thread, Caribbean V19

Quote Originally Posted by disorderly View Post
    I dont know why you bother anymore, Sam..

Its in one ear and straight out the other...

You just end up feeling like that guy in shortthenlong's Gif above..
    What part don't you understand? I have used this paint 3 times before... have a nice day

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    What part don't you understand? I have used this paint 3 times before... have a nice day
    This part even confused me:

Not to sure Brett about the hi build primer, norglass doesnt mention it

Quote Originally Posted by Dignity View Post
    This part even confused me:
    As previously mentioned i used the norglass epoxy undercoat its called shipshape..

As previously mentioned i used the norglass epoxy undercoat its called shipshape..
    Shipshape is high-build primer. You should know this, because you've apparently used it before and are intending to use it again. And yet...

The point people are making is slow down and prep properly. That includes knowing the products you're using. Not knowing that Shipshape is high-build means you've not done the most basic reading into the system you're going to use. Dignity even linked you to the relevant Norglass procedure.

mSpqlAf.jpg

Morp i have read it all before and a million products after it i am no memory genius

Actually Norglass does have an undercoat but as you are using Shipshape (that is what you had a link to) which is a high build primer (you wont need an undercoat then).

Actually, I think I'll bail on this thread as it is obvious you aren't reading any of the posts past the first 2 words and are off in a world of your own.

Morp i have read it all before and a million products after it i am no memory genius
    A bad days fishing has got to be better than any day at work......

Chillax Garry...is this the "High" build primer you are using..?..

scarface 2.jpg

Ausfish Silver Member Ducksnutz's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by disorderly View Post
    Chillax Garry...is this the "High" build primer you are using..?..

scarface 2.jpg
    If it is, can you please share Gazz….mmm the memories…..
    Matilda

Quote Originally Posted by Ducksnutz View Post
    If it is, can you please share Gazz….mmm the memories…..
    What you remember the 80s ,I don’t remember a lot but I do remember it as a fun time . Matt
    A bad days fishing has got to be better than any day at work......

Hi Gazza, Painted many boats and my system was prep-sol then primer coat, then a hi-build, guide coat and sand down with 240 dry and not go pass the primer, then another hi-build and guild-coat, dry sand again with 320. If I got down to the primer in spots I would then spot hi-build these areas and sand again. Once I was happy with the finish I would then prime the boat again and would use a primer colour suitable for the top coat colour.

Applying the top coat would be three coats the first would be a dusting coat, wait 20 min depending on the temperature and lay the second coat wet, wait another 20 min for this to flash off and the last coat I would lay very heavy too just before it starts to run. You get a feeling once you done it a hundred times. Make sure you prep-sol between your primers and hi-builds as 2-pack paints just won't go over even the oil off your hand prints. Make sure you stick to the times in between coats or you will get thinners boil which is pin hole in the finish you can't see with your eye's. If you don't want too follow the correct process with painting a 2-pack system don't waste you money and paint it with house paint and a roller.

Also helps if you use a good quality gun for the top coats as the great thing about 2-pack is you can get a great gloss off the gun and the goal is to not have to buff. I would not go pass a overhead pot and you want something that puts out a fine spray but good volume. I still have my top coat gun which I have had for 30 years and has painted many cars and boats and I only use it with 2-pack paints. Cost me $500 back then. I think you can still hire spray guns and well worth using the right equipment and you need alot of air to run a good gun. You can't stuff around with 2-pack as you need to be quick so you can blend everything in wet or you will need up with dry marks and that just looks like shit.

2-pack cost a few dollars as you are aware and will look like shit if you don't do it right. If you don't think you can handle it like I said just use some house paint as it will look just the same if you do a half ass job with the 2-pack.

Just as a heads up also don't use more thinners then recommended by the manufacturer.

Quote Originally Posted by brett62 View Post
    I think you can still hire spray guns and well worth using the right equipment and you need alot of air to run a good gun.
    Dry non-oiled air with good pressure regulation and a compressor with enough oomph to keep up. Plus a temporary spray booth so you don't piss off the neighbours and have midges + dust specks in your fresh paint.

I'd just be rolling on Alexseal or similar myself. It's not a show piece.

No way as of yet to get some paint stripper car is still off the road, we are heading into 5 or more days of rain and thunder so the old girl needs to be covered up for the down pour

Giving it another go before the rain kicks in gave it a nice coating of orange peel stripper i will leave this coat on untill late tonight or tomorrow to work its magic
    Attached Images Attached Images

Giving it another go before the rain kicks in gave it a nice coating of orange peel stripper i will leave this coat on untill late tonight or tomorrow to work its magic
    Is that different paint stripper than all the other strippers? Usually like ten minutes is enough otherwise it dries out and the paint sticks again. I like to hit it with a bit of coarse sand paper before I apply and it seems to work better, I have also heard about putting glad wrap over it to stop it drying out, anyway have fun, no matter how careful I am I always manage to get some on my skin, probably doesn’t help that I’m normally wearing shorts and thongs whilst doing it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk