Thread: Johnson Deckwash Pump

Johnson Deckwash Pump

Pulled mine out today after feeling how a contortionist must feel getting in where it was fitted !!. Anyhows Pump works after pulling apart from its Pressure switch thingy atop the unit , now need to see how that works to lock it into gear when power on??.
    Any gurus onboard who may be able talk me through it or best buy a newy ??.

Re: Johnson Deckwash Pump

Quote Originally Posted by Volvo View Post
    Pulled mine out today after feeling how a contortionist must feel getting in where it was fitted !!. Anyhows Pump works after pulling apart from its Pressure switch thingy atop the unit , now need to see how that works to lock it into gear when power on??.
    Any gurus onboard who may be able talk me through it or best buy a newy ??.
    You should be able to buy a micro switch replacement for it from places that sell the pump.

Don't be surprised if simply pulling it apart and reassembling "fixes" it. Not uncommon for the mechanism to stick and stop the pump starting. Check with a meter to make sure the switch isn't open circuit with zero pressure.

I presume that wee widdle hole on the top of pump and under pressure switch is for pushing up water under pressure allowing pump to either stop under pressure and run with pressure drop ??.

I presume that wee widdle hole on the top of pump and under pressure switch is for pushing up water under pressure allowing pump to either stop under pressure and run with pressure drop ??.
    No. Just a molding I think. Had a second handy out in the shed - pics tell a thousand words

Switch housing.jpg This is the switch housing - 4 screws it lifts straight off to expose this Switch lever.jpg. This lever is the bit that moves when pressure is applied by the membrane in the third pic Membrane.jpg (the round white bit). When you lift the switch cover off, pay attention not to lose the small black insert in the end of the spring as it is part of the assembly that sets the pressures. There should be no water in any of these parts - it shouldn't get past the membrane.

Quote Originally Posted by scottar View Post
    No. Just a molding I think. Had a second handy out in the shed - pics tell a thousand words

Switch housing.jpg This is the switch housing - 4 screws it lifts straight off to expose this Switch lever.jpg. This lever is the bit that moves when pressure is applied by the membrane in the third pic Membrane.jpg (the round white bit). When you lift the switch cover off, pay attention not to lose the small black insert in the end of the spring as it is part of the assembly that sets the pressures. There should be no water in any of these parts - it shouldn't get past the membrane.
    Wow, that looks totally different to my switch.

!! Musta lost the spring thingy in mine cause there wasnt one there ??.
    Anyhows back in minus couple of holding screws which i cant get to at present.
    Get in the water see how it goes.
    Starts okay on the boat.
    Just need to see if it cuts in n out ??.

!! Musta lost the spring thingy in mine cause there wasnt one there ??.
    Anyhows back in minus couple of holding screws which i cant get to at present.
    Get in the water see how it goes.
    Starts okay on the boat.
    Just need to see if it cuts in n out ??.
    It may cut out and not reset once you let pressure off. May also cut out at a lower pressure.

Sure there wasnt one in mine ??, unless i have a different model ??..
    Oh weel it either works or doesnt , if not will have to suss out a different type of pump and also place it elsewhere to where it resides now.
    How they managede to get it in there is beyond me ??, i got mine back in but took me near all day and had to leave two holding screws out as couldnt get to wherethey screw in ??
    Will drill holes right through the Alloy next time and bolt the pump back inplace ..

Now have one deckwash that works if only the two screws instead of four holding the body upright suffices lol.
    Couldnt shrink myself enough to get to the other screws..

Now have one deckwash that works if only the two screws instead of four holding the body upright suffices lol.
    Couldnt shrink myself enough to get to the other screws..
    Yep, even I've put things where 2 years later I ask myself WHY?