Thread: Top of Moreton and Barwon Banks

Top of Moreton and Barwon Banks

Would appreciate some advice going round Comboyuro Point from down South. Any clear channels to follow? Been out there a few times before but not in the last 6-7 years. Is it worth the run up to Barwon Banks from Cleveland in a 6.7m boat weather permitting or you wouldn't bother? Just toying with the idea as I've never been up there.
    It has always been my private conviction that any man who pits his intelligence against a fish and loses has it coming. ~John Steinbeck

Ausfish Silver Member Ducksnutz's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: Top of Moreton and Barwon Banks

Hey mate,

I’d be heading from Scarborough ramp or Spinnakers marina at Bribie for the top of Moreton reefs. I leave from my home port at Beachmere and head up the Pearl channel, cross near Bulwer and out the Kianga channel weather and tide permitting.

Lots of shallow banks and pressure waves in the northern bay and probably best if you map out a route before you leave on the gps or Navionics app etc.

For the Barwon Banks I leave from Mooloolaba. Long and lumpy way home from Cleveland if turns to shit.

All in my humble opinion.
    Matilda

Quote Originally Posted by Ducksnutz View Post
    Hey mate,

I’d be heading from Scarborough ramp or Spinnakers marina at Bribie for the top of Moreton reefs. I leave from my home port at Beachmere and head up the Pearl channel, cross near Bulwer and out the Kianga channel weather and tide permitting.

Lots of shallow banks and pressure waves in the northern bay and probably best if you map out a route before you leave on the gps or Navionics app etc.

For the Barwon Banks I leave from Mooloolaba. Long and lumpy way home from Cleveland if turns to shit.

All in my humble opinion.
    Agree, it's around 40km from Mba to the southern end of the Banks which is hit pretty hard or about 70km if you head further north up opposite Noosa. Add a trip from Cleveland that's one hell of a day trip. There are reefs south of the Banks as well all the way to Moreton which can produce. Follow the 100m line and your bound to find some pearlies.

Thanks I don't suppose Navionics charts' accurate above Comboyuro is it? Just like SPB, I would have thought it's always changing.
    It has always been my private conviction that any man who pits his intelligence against a fish and loses has it coming. ~John Steinbeck

Ausfish Silver Member Ducksnutz's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gimme5 View Post
    Thanks I don't suppose Navionics charts' accurate above Comboyuro is it? Just like SPB, I would have thought it's always changing.
    I have found the App to be pretty good mate. In all honesty, if you are heading out on good day, you’ll find it’s like a Highway of boats heading out to Hutchies and around the top of Moreton. Sit around the Bulwer area and follow the line etc.

On a great day I’d avoid Hutchies (carpark) and head around to Deep Tempest.

Another alternative is to stick to the shipping channel (plenty of livies around the shipping markers) and head for a fish at Caloundra wide etc.
    Matilda