Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is your dream to become a Youtuber

Re: Is your dream to become a Youtuber

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    I seen these guys on The Captain about a month ago been keen to see an update, the aussie guys not wearing any ppe is a concern it looks like they called in the professional guys a bit into the video

The boat turned out really nice but there is a shit load of labor in there 4+ blokes at the start than the 2 professional boat builder than the spray job i reckon they would have poured a ton of labor into tbis hull i reckon they would'nt get that back on a sale

These are Sydney blokes from Good Time Marine they used Sylvania (hole in the wall) boat ramp

no different to restoring an old car ...... except that classic cars values can be worth 100s of thousands more .

Personally - I dont believe that there is an old hull or design that couldn't be improved on in a new hull & not to mention warrant the time /expense of doing an exercise like this .

IMHO

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

I’ve no interest in being a you tuber but gee I enjoy watching some of the fishing content on there. Pelagic pursuit is a cracker.

Being an old prick that barely watches television,I have zero interest in You Tube
    Shawn

Quote Originally Posted by shakey55 View Post
    Yes a great conversion, but when you are doing something that you really want, does labour really come into the equation.

Surely you can understand that having just done what you did in your backyard.

Cheers

Shakey - If only I lived near the coast
    True Shakey but u reckon they will keep it? Just doing some sums that hull would have been a 15k boat to start with, engine 25k?, supplies, paint, than the cost of hiring the professional guys we would be at 40k for hull, trailer and new engine without the professionals or the 4 guys labour

They done a awesome job if there going to keep the boat but i think if they sell it they wont recoupe the cost unless its sold for 70-80k

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    no different to restoring an old car ...... except that classic cars values can be worth 100s of thousands more .

Personally - I dont believe that there is an old hull or design that couldn't be improved on in a new hull & not to mention warrant the time /expense of doing an exercise like this .

IMHO

Chris
    Yeah there isnt much money to be made in restoring boats or doing conversions the cost of supplies justs eats into the profit, a l9t of new age guys are anti fibreglass due to rotting and for some reason people think aluminium boats are unsinkable which is wrong

I guess when u do a self restore your labor is free apposed to paying a shop for there labour

Yeah there isnt much money to be made in restoring boats or doing conversions the cost of supplies justs eats into the profit, a l9t of new age guys are anti fibreglass due to rotting and for some reason people think aluminium boats are unsinkable which is wrong

I guess when u do a self restore your labor is free apposed to paying a shop for there labour
    I wouldn't have thought there was a anti Fg sentiment ..... heck it looks like a lot of those you tubers are all over FG

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Most of the old boats rotted out because of bad installation of accessories over the years, including the motor from new, I remember when I was working in the industry back in the very early '80s, most motors were fitted with no sealing at all on the bolts, it was just how it was done, you drilled the holes with a template, mounted the motor and did the bolts up, add to that Pine timber used in construction that was barely suitable for firewood, Masonite floors, nailed down, was a recipe for future disaster.

I have a few mates that are anti fibreglass i think it falls back on there dad owning a really old fibreglass boat one mate jumped in my boat a few months back and was surprised my floor was very solid i replied thats how its meant to be lol, they say they will never own a fibreglass boat

New age guys its all about aluminium, fibreglass is pretty cool its forgiving if u rip a big hole up the hull u can repair it perfectly if u rip a big hole up a aluminium hull its a goner

Lots of guys on youtube rebuilding glass boats now giving them a fresh life now we are getting more awareness on composite material i think we will see a new beginning of reviving old glass boats especially as the price of aluminium goes up

I have a few mates that are anti fibreglass i think it falls back on there dad owning a really old fibreglass boat one mate jumped in my boat a few months back and was surprised my floor was very solid i replied thats how its meant to be lol, they say they will never own a fibreglass boat

New age guys its all about aluminium, fibreglass is pretty cool its forgiving if u rip a big hole up the hull u can repair it perfectly if u rip a big hole up a aluminium hull its a goner

Lots of guys on youtube rebuilding glass boats now giving them a fresh life now we are getting more awareness on composite material i think we will see a new beginning of reviving old glass boats especially as the price of aluminium goes up
    I still don't see it - If you are talking small boats (tinny or console) , there are not a lot of options - buying new is more expensive with FG & you usually need a bigger motor ...... These are the things that effect the decision making process.

I wont own a fiberglass boat because of how & where I use a boat ....... towing a glass boat long distances & then running it up a coral rubble & rocky beach - nah

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Yep agree, glass V alloy is a never ending debate, just like anchor winches, windlass, ball, electric or by hand, all methods work, it's what suits you and your fishing use. Repairing a glass Hull is probably harder than an alloy hull (in my opinion) but then, who buys a boat thinking about future major repairs?

Call me selfish but I fish for my enjoyment not someone else's. Having said that I have watched my share as any obsessed fisho has, often with the audio muted, and do learn a bit now and then. "whoever ceases to be a student was never a student" George Iles.

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    Yep agree, glass V alloy is a never ending debate, just like anchor winches, windlass, ball, electric or by hand, all methods work, it's what suits you and your fishing use. Repairing a glass Hull is probably harder than an alloy hull (in my opinion) but then, who buys a boat thinking about future major repairs?

Me

Back in 1998 I towed my old Quinny 535 Reefraider up to the Whitsundays - for 2 weeks of camping on the islands. The last leg of the trip we ended up camping on the north end of Hook Is around Butterfly bay - on the last night the wind turned to the NE & we had around 1m of swell & I was awoken by a banging sound . As the tide dropped the boat was hitting a rock (pretty well the only rock in the area ) on each rise & fall of the swell - It took me a little while to get into the boat & move it into deeper water. The dent in the bottom of the hull was pretty significant (1cm deep & the size of a football ) .
    Had that been a glass boat , without a doubt it would have been holed .....

I learnt a lot from that experience - number 1 was if you intent to do that kind of thing ...... dont buy a glass boat.

If you are going to tow a boat over shit roads - dont buy a glass boat .

Over the past 15 or so years of recent boat ownership - I've been in situations that I would have been in tears if I had a glass boat .....

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Angry Mack Adventures has just started a 2022 20ft Pace Maker Rebuild, he done a boat earlier this year but he hired help him and another bloke ripped in andgot it done im not sure if hes doing it solo this time, i subscribed

Quote Originally Posted by fishtragic View Post
    Call me selfish but I fish for my enjoyment not someone else's. Having said that I have watched my share as any obsessed fisho has, often with the audio muted, and do learn a bit now and then. "whoever ceases to be a student was never a student" George Iles.
    The thing is that there are more & more people using YouTube as a way of supplementing their income or out & out making a living from it - it's pretty easy motivation when you see the lifestyle that Brody Moss (Young Bloods) has made for himself ...... The guys a millionaire & it's all made on the back of YouTube - He is one of the most successful in Australia.
    Pelagic pursuit is a relative newby ..... but he is clearly doing well enough that it's a full time gig for him .

But it's all about content - That means you need to be putting up stuff a couple of times a week that people will wanna watch ...... that's the hard hard part.

Once you know who is putting up decent content - it's a pretty good form of entertainment ...... & "Dont forget to press the like button & subscribe"

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Youtube is also wiping out some good old tellivision fishing shows they don't seem to ladt long, there were 2 tackle world series going one is paul worstling he is still around but dave buttfield faded away he was pretty good nice bloke to meet at his tackle world shop in st marys (western sydney)

These days you dont need a university degree and a million bux along with a tv contract to aire your tv shows you just need to be presentable, good clear voice, and show people what they dream of doing youtube dose the rest it has the followers awaiting in the millions