Page 1 of 12 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: electric anchor winch

electric anchor winch

I never thought i would be anchoring in my boat but i guess there will be a need to in certain curcumstances one in particular i found a nice hot spot for squid at the five islands i have drifted here before but need to anchor close to one of the islands to get the big squid

I dont like the look of drum winches they look terrible on the top deck and to much rooting around to put one below dect

I like the look of the south pacific 710HS but its only rated to 5 meters chain and doesn't say what thickness links or link length

Are these ok winches?

Ausfish Silver Member

Re: electric anchor winch

i have the 710h with 5 mt chaim
    n and 30 mt rope very happy my mate has the same on his boat had it for 7 years trouble free
    Attachment 125110

not real clear try this one Attachment 125111

ive been told by the bloke who got shipwrecked on one of those five islands , dont get to close to one of em as it is renowned for a rogue waves . think it was the tom thumb island

Quote Originally Posted by 39NESP View Post
    n and 30 mt rope very happy my mate has the same on his boat had it for 7 years trouble free
    Attachment 125110
    What size boat and do u know what size link chain it uses?

Quote Originally Posted by catshark View Post
    ive been told by the bloke who got shipwrecked on one of those five islands , dont get to close to one of em as it is renowned for a rogue waves . think it was the tom thumb island
    Those islands to the south look dangerous i looked at the map and it shows shollow rock areas and possibly a bommie the island i want to hang around is the toothbrush island the most north of the 5 its only 2.5kms out i have been out there a couple times, last trip it was hectic we had something smash a bait fish 1 meter from the boat a huge splash possibly a big kingy or shark scared the shit out of me

The snapper fishing was good too for pannies but yeah u always gotta be cautious of the rocks as its open ocean so suseptiable to anything really

Flinders Islet (toothbrush island) the back of or west side is where i wanna fish around the depth contour lines

The south 3 islands look sketchy look at all the shallow rocky area i have never fished there

Fished around all those islands, dived around them all for decades, no more "rogue" waves there than anywhere else, anyone who says there is are full of shit! Look at the charts, use your head and it's no different to anywhere else!

Quote Originally Posted by 39NESP View Post
    Attachment 125110
    30m of rope is nowhere near enough to anchor anywhere but very close in, 10m of water max.

Buy a Minn Kota with spot lock - problem solved

Bream in the wash.jpg

Love fishing the washes - Minn kota rocks

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    30m of rope is nowhere near enough to anchor anywhere but very close in, 10m of water max.
    Thanks Noel, last trip we did'nt have a fish finder to see depths but looking at the map we drifted from toothbrush island across to the eastern breakwall seems we drifted right along the depth contour line and it was very productive much better than sydney fishing

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    Buy a Minn Kota with spot lock - problem solved

Chris
    Yeah one ison the wish list but i can't afford 2k yet

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    Thanks Noel, last trip we did'nt have a fish finder to see depths but looking at the map we drifted from toothbrush island across to the eastern breakwall seems we drifted right along the depth contour line and it was very productive much better than sydney fishing
    That whole area is pretty hard fished, mainly because all the ramps are very close, Pig Island is a known big Kingfish spot, just off the NE corner, between the little southern outer Island and Pig Island is lots of drop offs onto sand, good Snapper spots, the northern side of Rabbit Island is a small bombie that sticks out of the water at low tide, that's my favourite winter Bream spot, fish there in a westerly wind, sheltered by the land, lots of Bream, it's also where I caught a Coral Trout years ago! Between Hill 60 and Rabbit Island is very shallow, it's dry land most of the time, but there is a channel you can boat through, the south side of Rabbit is deep and at around 20m deep it drops onto sandy rubble, easy to find on your sounder, good fishing in NE wind, the island provides protection.

Awesome thanks noel i will try to south islands when i have someone onboard with me, hopefully heading out next week depending on weather i want to head to poet kembla but im still running that repaired tyre so location will depend if i go solo or have someone on board