Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: electric anchor winch

Re: electric anchor winch

Pisses me off that "work, a job" has anything to do with pulling an anchor, i bet the ones saying tjis work in a office sitting on a chair taking phone calls maybe alittle walking around on the floor, these jobs should be reserved for women

If you're a man go work as a brickys labourer, do scaffolding lifting 4x 20kg poles at once all day long sis

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    Pisses me off that "work, a job" has anything to do with pulling an anchor, i bet the ones saying tjis work in a office sitting on a chair taking phone calls maybe alittle walking around on the floor, these jobs should be reserved for women

If you're a man go work as a brickys labourer, do scaffolding lifting 4x 20kg poles at once all day long sis
    Your giving out lectures about hard work?

All this about a winch? Hmmm. Gotta just be a "wind up". Lol.
    (Just some harmless humour again Gazza. Can't seem to help it.)

Quote Originally Posted by ranmar850 View Post
    Well, back on the subject of winches----bit of thread drift, there..... the type you refer to is known as a windlass type, vs the drum type. I have owned and exyensively operated both. Simply being smaller and less obvious on the deck doesn't make them an obvious choice.

-Windlass type - Windlas type need a lot of vertical drop under the deck entry or they will simply not work. A wide, shallow space is useless. With ALL the rope on board you need a minimum of 300mm between the top of the rope pile and thebottom of the deck the rope comes through. This is non-negotiable. If you don't have this amount of space, the rope will jam in the gypsy. They are not limited to length as drums are, just a matter of how big the well beneath is.

----and this bring me to the other aspect. The rope. You will need to use expensive rope of the right size. The very best, and in my opinion as a user, the only type to use is 8-strand plait nylon. Probably 12mm. Get online and see how much that will cost you per metre. The rope needs to be soft and "fall" into a pile in the well. 3-strand nylon can do the job, less expensive, but you will need to wash it with fabric softener or something similar to keep it soft and pliable. Forget about doing it on the cheap with silver rope, it will just jam up. And you will be blaming the winch. Note--just had a look online, prices are wildly varying, but mostly $5-10 per metre.

--You will have to splice 8-strand plait, as you need a smooth transition between the rope and chain. No shackles. Plenty of youtube videos on how to do it. And don't forget to hose and soak the rope before you go out, even 8-strand plait can jam up feeding out for the first time after drying out.

Drum type-- if you have the space, an under-deck drum winch can't be beaten. Obviously, your fore-deck arrangement will dictate how easy this will be. If under-deck, they will normally be mounted vertically on the forward collision bulkhead. This will probably need an extra layer of ply laminated on for strength, these things develop a lot of pull.

---rope. You can use anything you like, just depends on how much you want to fit, obviously the smaller the CSA, the more you can fit. Dyneema is the best for this, can be expensive, cheaper than 8-strand , but you only need 5mm, shop around. Sheathed nylon is cheaper, you only need 6-8mm. Some come as a kit with maybe 100m of nylon sheathed included, mine did, I added 50m of 5mm dyneema then top-shotted with 30m of 12mm silver rope. Which is actually the weakest of the three different types . 8mm Double braid sheathed can be under a dollar a metre. Polyester is cheaper than nylon of the same construction.

--this can be joined any way you like, as you don't need to run through a gypsy, so no need to splice together different types.

--any type of winch probably needs a different bowsprit. You need something the rope can't jump out of. And which will keep the anchor clear of the hull. If fitting a drum, factor in adding a convex roller betwen the bowsprit and the winch, so it will layer on instead of piling up in the middle. I am using a Tuffwinch, which has been perfect, but added a Lonestar deck roller, and the rope never bunches up.
    Thanks Ran im between the drum and windless i would go a drum but they are either within budget but limited to x rope and x length of chain i looked at 4mm dyneema with 1900kg breaking strain

The windless would be ideal as i can run 7-8-9 meters of chain and heaps of rope where as the drum winch is limited to about 65 meters the windless i can use as much as i can store

Below my deck is pretty big about 700mm drop in the V so plenty of room for the windless 12mm rope but your saying its expensive i'll have a look now

Just to clear something up, most winches will not pull a stuck anchor off the bottom, they are made to wind the rope, anchor and chain up and into/onto the boat, your anchor gets stuck, you need to "jiggle" it off, or drive it off, similarly, a windlass will aid in retrieving the anchor setup, it's merely a device you wind the rope around and hold tension on with your hands, they work fine and are often used for pulling traps commercially. A ball retrieve system allows to anchor to be supported by the buoy, needing only to pull in slack rope, but it does require some room to use, because you are driving off the opposite direction you anchored, plus extra.

Good one Gazza

If you were smart enough you'd be wearing a skirt & would be talking about what new boat you would be buying ...... not waiting for your next hand out .

Imagine what life would be like if you had a little bit of ticker & go about you

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

electric anchor winch

Pulling the anchor is a c... of a job no one wants to do it including my self
    But it has to be done

I’ve said before Gazza. Prioritise everything.

Get the boat completely finished, yes completely finished, and fish while doing, this pulling the anchor with ball assist.

Once boat is completely finished, then think about electric winches and electric motors, and when you get around to buying, please buy quality and don’t waste money on inferior untested products.

Good luck and Merry Christmas to you and your Mum

Shakey - If only I lived near the coast

You are taking the piss surely , and retrieving an anchor with a bouy is simple , easy and effective as the float holds the anchor while you drive up retrieving the rope . I don’t think you’ve ever tried by your statement, I will leave your knowing of scaffolding and work right here as you have NO IDEA
    A bad days fishing has got to be better than any day at work......

Surely the Super Heavy Duty Homemade Trailer Mover can be modified to become the Super Heavy Duty Anchor Retrieval System. Could probably then be used to winch the boat up the driveway as well. Kill two birds with one stone. Maybe patent it too.

watch this Gazza it’s easy as ,even you could do this . Matt
    A bad days fishing has got to be better than any day at work......

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETtVHC5YbKA&amp;t=139s" target="_blank">

Bluefin, This one might be easier for Gazza to understand....he wouldnt even need to change out of his skirt..

pppppppppppppp

This forum should have a LAUGHING MY GUTS OUT BUTTON

Ausfish Silver Member

page one second post. The answer..$100 bucks..gazza style

OR get a job(there is hundreds going) and buy a flash one.

Here is a thread from a few years back about winchs...

Which Winch to buy?? (ausfish.com.au)