Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: About to order Stabicraft 2250 Ultra Centrecab. Talk me out?

Re: About to order Stabicraft 2250 Ultra Centrecab. Talk me out?

We use Megazorber in our Ally builds to aid in sound deadening. its heavy and somewhat expensive but EXTREMELY good.
    The foam filling doesnt help really with the sound all that much. perhaps very mildly when bouncing. but most of the sound is under the hull.

if toilets are not used often but still want a solution. good casette toilets are available these days. easy. look and feel nicer than porta potties. but no plumbing to worry about

Quote Originally Posted by Islander77 View Post
    Instead of starting new threads for every subject that worries me, I think I’ll just keep asking all questions (as they pop in in my head) in this thread, to keep it all in one place.

So finally paid the deposit for 2250, should be mine hopefully in May/June.

Now, during the test-run I realised that while it was quieter than any other small/mid size plate boat I’ve ever been to, it was still noticeably noisier than I’m used to
    Hence the question - have anyone tried to successfully apply some sound deadening material in the cabin of aluminium boat?
    Would thick marine carpet, or some marine wall liner help? What about dynamat extreme? Anyone tried that for marine application, or maybe something similar? Maybe a combination of materials…
    The pontoons of 2250 that I ordered are already foam filled, so that helps with noise too, but ideally I would want to take it a bit further, if that’s possible.

Another question is the Toilet. Personally always was happy with just a bucket (or nothing), with a new boat I’m happy so spend some extra $$ to get a better solution, but just not sure what IS a good solution and if I really need it (I.e. don’t want to create more unnecessary maintenance hassle). I read a few threads on a subject, and still haven’t figured out what the consensus is. A bucket, or fully plumbed toilet, or porta potti, or nothing, or something else? What everyone has and how happy are you with that solution?

Marine outfitting solutions
    www.moosemarine.com.au

ppppppppppppp

Quote Originally Posted by chocolatemoose;[URL="tel:1694502"
    1694502[/URL]]We use Megazorber in our Ally builds to aid in sound deadening. its heavy and somewhat expensive but EXTREMELY good.
    Thanks moose, I’m definitely interested! where do you buy this stuff from - directly from the company or are there dealers/retailers? Looks like they have many different products https://megasorber.com/products/
    can you please share which ones you apply / in what order?

Quote Originally Posted by blacklab;[URL="tel:1694504"
    1694504[/URL]] I noticed the comparison when I went in a mates one, but that was comparing to my glass boat, it seriously never bothered me, the ride and performance out weighed the slapping....
    ….
    What is your lead time for delivery ????
    Col
    The boat is already in the dealer’s yard, we are waiting for the engine to arrive in May.

Absolutely, the performance outweighed everything else for me. But still, if I can improve it in the noise department, I will
    Found this cheap solution on youtube, the guy swears by it! I’m happy to pay more for a more elegant solution, but still - good to see there are things that work!

Thanks moose, I’m definitely interested! where do you buy this stuff from - directly from the company or are there dealers/retailers? Looks like they have many different products https://megasorber.com/products/
    can you please share which ones you apply / in what order?

The boat is already in the dealer’s yard, we are waiting for the engine to arrive in May.

Absolutely, the performance outweighed everything else for me. But still, if I can improve it in the noise department, I will
    Found this cheap solution on youtube, the guy swears by it! I’m happy to pay more for a more elegant solution, but still - good to see there are things that work!
    Looks interesting, I was hoping for a boat test to hear the difference.
    I recall my local rust preventative sprayer who works primarily on 4wd was spraying a deadening material into a boat one time I was there, possibly the LD5 megasorber as it wasn't as dark as his other sprays.

I've had a fully plumbed toilet and holding tank on both my current and previous boat. They're awesome until something goes wrong, and then things get disgusting fairly quickly. If you have room a toilet's great for safety and convenience but unless you really need the capacity, as mentioned above, go with a cassette or porta potti

Quote Originally Posted by Dignity;[URL="tel:1694509"
    1694509[/URL]]Looks interesting, I was hoping for a boat test to hear the difference.
    Here you go, just for you You can’t really hear much in the video, but at least the guys share their impressions.
    Anyway, I most probably will be using some professional product, but good to know cheap Bunnings stuff works.

Quote Originally Posted by on-one;[URL="tel:1694510"
    1694510[/URL]]I've had a fully plumbed toilet and holding tank on both my current and previous boat. They're awesome until something goes wrong, and then things get disgusting fairly quickly. If you have room a toilet's great for safety and convenience but unless you really need the capacity, as mentioned above, go with a cassette or porta potti
    looks like cassette is the go then!
    Thanks, doing my research. Are there preferred brands, or they are all pretty much the same?

Mate I also faced the toilet quandry and finally decided against a plumbed dunny for a few reasons..

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/sho...-a-trailerboat

A couple of extra holes in the bottom of the hull certainly has the potential for water ingress if something in the system fails....also they can block up (wouldnt that be lovely after a night on the curry..)

We also do 2 and 3 day trips sleeping on the boat and shitting down in the cab where we sleep is not all that appealing as is cleaning the toilet after someone else has used it..

Now we just use one of those 20 litre buckets with a seat on it and a bit of paper in the bottom...I just take it up the front of the centre cab and have a loo with a veiw....the missus is quite happy to do the same..if she wasnt I'd probably use some sort of porta pottie/cassette to take along when she was on the boat and remove it when she wasnt...but likewise someone has to clean it out so we wont get one...

Couple of other options we looked at and discarded the idea were underfloor water tank and hot water shower..in hindsight I'm glad we didnt get them..

Some of the best options we found are Electric motor , Fridge freezer and Travel buddy oven, also have a 12v jug and 300 watt semi flexible panel ...and 4 out of my 6 batteries are LiFeP04...

Suspension seat is also must...

https://www.theboatwarehouse.com.au/...5-matte-black/

https://www.theboatwarehouse.com.au/...sed-aluminium/

Hopefully some ideas there for you to mull over...

Here you go, just for you You can’t really hear much in the video, but at least the guys share their impressions.
    Anyway, I most probably will be using some professional product, but good to know cheap Bunnings stuff works.
    I played both video's, on my tablet and the other on my wife's, I couldn't pick it, may e if the foam was actually stuck to the alum it might have worked better.

Quote Originally Posted by Dignity View Post
    I played both video's, on my tablet and the other on my wife's, I couldn't pick it, may e if the foam was actually stuck to the alum it might have worked better.
    I mean yeah it would reduce it somewhat. but .... that video wasnt really convincing. but still. quick and cheap

We use for hull lining and inside storage areas, behind waldrobes, under squabs that sort of thing

Megasorber B6
    6kg/m2 Thermal mouldable flexible noise barrier.
    Sheet size: 1.2m x 2.3m

And for areas where we have more space. like under floors. around Engine rooms, plant rooms, bow thruster rooms, gyro plants. we use

Megasorber C25-B
    25mm Soundproofing Composite (25mm foam + 6kg/m2 noise barrier) with Soundmesh G8 facing (Black)
    Sheet size: 1.2m x 1.2m

As for where to get it. you may need to contact your local boat builder etc. we are happy to organise some to be shipped to you. PM if you would like me to work out what it would be worth.

Marine outfitting solutions
    www.moosemarine.com.au

Quote Originally Posted by chocolatemoose;[URL="tel:1694527"
    1694527[/URL]]I mean yeah it would reduce it somewhat. but .... that video wasnt really convincing. but still. quick and cheap

We use for hull lining and inside storage areas, behind waldrobes, under squabs that sort of thing

Megasorber B6
    6kg/m2 Thermal mouldable flexible noise barrier.
    Sheet size: 1.2m x 2.3m

And for areas where we have more space. like under floors. around Engine rooms, plant rooms, bow thruster rooms, gyro plants. we use

Megasorber C25-B
    25mm Soundproofing Composite (25mm foam + 6kg/m2 noise barrier) with Soundmesh G8 facing (Black)
    Sheet size: 1.2m x 1.2m

As for where to get it. you may need to contact your local boat builder etc. we are happy to organise some to be shipped to you. PM if you would like me to work out what it would be worth.
    Thanks mate, just checked the data sheets and this stuff looks VERY impressive, especially Megasorber B6. For only 3mm thickness you get an amazing reduction in dB across the whole range of frequencies.
    Is it DIY friendly and easy enough to apply?
    Also, I can’t find any close-detailed photos, how does this product look / presents once installed? If I apply it to visible cabin interior areas, do I need to cover it with some liner or marine carpet to make it look pretty?

I definitely will be in touch when I have my boat! Doubt anyone in Tassie would have it.

Thanks mate, just checked the data sheets and this stuff looks VERY impressive, especially Megasorber B6. For only 3mm thickness you get an amazing reduction in dB across the whole range of frequencies.
    Is it DIY friendly and easy enough to apply?
    Also, I can’t find any close-detailed photos, how does this product look / presents once installed? If I apply it to visible cabin interior areas, do I need to cover it with some liner or marine carpet to make it look pretty?

Be great if Moose could provide further info on this stuff...I'd love to reduce the hull slap coming from th cab..particulularly when sleeping..

Ausfish Silver Member Ducksnutz's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by disorderly View Post
    Be great if Moose could provide further info on this stuff...I'd love to reduce the hull slap coming from th cab..particulularly when sleeping..
    Easy peasy mate, by a glass boat….
    Matilda

Quote Originally Posted by Lovey80 View Post
    I saw a fully optioned new 2400 Kevlacat for that price this week somewhere. I know its not the same category but a hell of a lot more boat for sea conditions for the same money and far better resale value.
    SAw a 2400 Kevlar cat go out the door before xmas with a $249k price tag on it. Sheesh... thats a lot of dosh

Quote Originally Posted by Brettoh;[URL="tel:1694686"
    1694686[/URL]]SAw a 2400 Kevlar cat go out the door before xmas with a $249k price tag on it. Sheesh... thats a lot of dosh
    Basically, by my observations:
    what used to cost $55-70k 3 years ago, is $85-100k today
    what used to be $110-140k, now is $150-200k
    and the boats that were $150-200k, today are $250-300…
    something like that. And imo, it’s not the boats that become expensive, it’s the cash, that has lost its value. Unfortunately, prices will never go down.