Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: About to order Stabicraft 2250 Ultra Centrecab. Talk me out?

Ausfish Silver Member Ducksnutz's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: About to order Stabicraft 2250 Ultra Centrecab. Talk me out?

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    If you want reliability & a decent service coverage - the choice is still Yamaha

Yep Suzuki & Honda make good motors but they just don't have the coverage .

Yes Mercury have improved significantly

I posed these questions to an independent service guy - that was his opinion as well .

US motors cost a bomb when things go wrong

Finally - ETECs got what they deserved

Chris
    You forgot to finish with “in my humble opinion” Chris….. I had a 130 Etec that had 700 hours without missing a beat…..OP was asking about 4 strokes. Let’s not have another Etec bashing thread that has been done to death.
    Matilda

Quote Originally Posted by Ducksnutz View Post
    I’ll list the donks I’ve owned that I rate from personal experience for 100HP Four strokes and over. 1 being the top.

1. 135 Honda.
    2. 150 Yamaha.
    3. 100 Yamaha.
    4. 200 Suzuki.

I did have a 2017 60Hp Mercury 4 stroke on my tinnie that I’d rather not talk about……PM if you want details as these threads never go well with brand loyalty.
    Ducks what didnt you like about the Zuke..?..was it a 4 cylinder..?

You forgot to finish with “in my humble opinion” Chris….. I had a 130 Etec that had 700 hours without missing a beat…..OP was asking about 4 strokes. Let’s not have another Etec bashing thread that has been done to death.
    Wasn't just my opinion - Mate .... there is more heart ache out there when it comes to ETECs than good news stories - When it comes to trade ins & dealers wont touch .... it's probably enough said

I mentioned the Ebombs on the back of my mechanics comment last week .

But hey , lets not miss an opportunity to kick a brand when they are down .... & deserve it

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

I also asked an independent service guy who was a master when it came to 2 stroke mercs, knew them inside out. He told me which brands had the most returns for warranty etc. He had a bias towards Yamaha as having the lowest returns. At the end of the day it is still his opinion, the problems and quality constantly change. These days there is very little in them, weight might be the main consideration.
    But then again that is my humble opinion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    Wasn't just my opinion - Mate .... there is more heart ache out there when it comes to ETECs than good news stories - When it comes to trade ins & dealers wont touch .... it's probably enough said

I mentioned the Ebombs on the back of my mechanics comment last week .

But hey , lets not miss an opportunity to kick a brand when they are down .... & deserve it

Chris
    Out of curiosity Chris, what Etec did you own? Since OP is asking for “owners experience”
    Matilda

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by disorderly View Post
    Ducks what didnt you like about the Zuke..?..was it a 4 cylinder..?
    6 mate. Wasn’t that I didn’t like it all. Personally I think all modern donks are so close that it’s a non issue. With the Zuk I had a couple of issues that were sorted with warranty.
    The Honda and Yamaha’s never had any issues whatsoever. The Etec also had zero problems. All in my humble opinion of course.
    Matilda

6 mate. Wasn’t that I didn’t like it all. Personally I think all modern donks are so close that it’s a non issue. With the Zuk I had a couple of issues that were sorted with warranty.
    The Honda and Yamaha’s never had any issues whatsoever. The Etec also had zero problems. All in my humble opinion of course.
    Yeah no worries..always good to get some feedback from someone thats owned a few 4 stroke brands and isnt too one eyed....

Out of curiosity Chris, what Etec did you own? Since OP is asking for “owners experience”
    I didn't have to own one after walking into the workshop at a Sydney dealer & saw a line of them with their powerheads off - A couple of weeks later I bought my F60 Yammi .

Over the following years I had several mates who shared their tale of woes with me ..... with one poor soul having his rebuilt 3 times I know of

3 boat places I know wouldn't trade an ETEC

& recently my new (independent )motor mechanic told me his opinion of them .......... run away.

Yes - & like FICHT owners there are those that didn't go poopies - but that doesn't defer from the large debris field that exists .

Finally - where is the manufacturer today

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Honda and Suzuki see hundreds of thousands of kilometers in cars, Yamaha are loved as there outboard blocks are shared with their jetskis so shit tons get sold plus they have a huge sales market for bikes and those high powred all terrain vehicles, Mercury just carry there old anchor name as they only do outboards but they have kind of a reputation in the small horse power engines guys with tinny's swear by mercury in australia

I have no independant outboard repairer knowledge but just from general internet rescources so no real bias views to swing my vote

If your going brand new u really cant mess it up they are all top engines and have good warranty

Something i heard maybe it was here or the Etec forum, if u make a warranty claim its not about the warranty but how much your local guy fights for you and your warranty, i have vaugley read reposts were guys were told to suck it up on warranty claims but most were USA based, i think any aussie dealer would fight for u tho as its money and his reputation

Wowzers check out the new Yamaha Helm Master EX, Who needs a trolling motor that is friggen classy stuff!!

I just read an article about this. What I read stated that the entire kit was $22,000 US and currently on sale for $15,000 US

A fair chunk of cabbage

Sent from my iPad using Ausfish forums

Thanks everyone for advice!
    will do more deep research into Honda then.

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au;[URL="tel:1693558"
    1693558[/URL]]Wowzers check out the new Yamaha Helm Master EX, Who needs a trolling motor that is friggen classy stuff!!
    Yes I know, looks very impressive, but it’s very cost prohibitive, the full Yamaha Helm Master system is around 20 grand. And really shines with twin engine setup.

Quote Originally Posted by shakey55 View Post
    I just read an article about this. What I read stated that the entire kit was $22,000 US and currently on sale for $15,000 US

A fair chunk of cabbage

Sent from my iPad using Ausfish forums
    Yep, just can’t justify this for a small trailer boat with one motor. I wonder if other brands have plans to catch up, and if the price would go down to at least single digit $k’s eventually…

Quote Originally Posted by Islander77 View Post
    Thanks everyone for advice!
    will do more deep research into Honda then.

Yes I know, looks very impressive, but it’s very cost prohibitive, the full Yamaha Helm Master system is around 20 grand. And really shines with twin engine setup.
    As others have said, there's not much difference in 4 strokes these days. In different boats I've had a Merc, Suzuki and now Honda 150.
    Really like the Stabi, I've a similar boat (Ocean Craft) great ride and stability.
    The deciding factors on the outboard for me were the 7 year non-declining warranty with the Honda, plus when you need some extra push there is an impressive kick at around 4,500 rpm. Quiet and good on fuel.