Thread: Furuno 588 NMEA 0183 connection to a garmin 7410

Furuno 588 NMEA 0183 connection to a garmin 7410

Looking to link my Furuno 588 to my Garmin gpsmap 7410, I have never used nmea 0183 before so I am asking has anyone done this are there any tips or tricks.

nmea 0183 wiring is stupid small ? thinking of terninating the wires with ring terminals and using a terminating connection block to make the connentions. will this work for a nmea 0183? or does the data need a wire to wire type connection?

BigE

Re: Furuno 588 NMEA 0183 connection to a garmin 7410

Quote Originally Posted by BigE View Post
    Looking to link my Furuno 588 to my Garmin gpsmap 7410, I have never used nmea 0183 before so I am asking has anyone done this are there any tips or tricks.

nmea 0183 wiring is stupid small ? thinking of terninating the wires with ring terminals and using a terminating connection block to make the connentions. will this work for a nmea 0183? or does the data need a wire to wire type connection?

BigE
    Found this document, might be worth reading, not sure I would go with the ring terminals though, hate them and if I do use them I use the F Type. At the end of the day it is all too complicated for me.

https://www.navcen.uscg.gov/pdf/gmds...rce/NMEA_7.pdf

And this one was a little more helpful

http://boat-project.com/tutorials/nmea0183xcon.htm

BigE, have you sorted this one out yet.

Still wrapping my head around it. Weekend job I think. I pretty new to nmea and data in general. I see some 0183 to 2000 nmea conversations May look at one of these or a Markfish unit

Pretty straight forward but limited without something like a Markfish.

Without a markfish you will be able to save a waypoint to the furuno (maximum of 20 then you have to delete them all and go again) but will need to manually transfer to the garmin . Check on the markfish's compatability with the garmin before purchasing - if compatible it will allow the automatic transfer of the waypoint.

NMEA 0183 connection is pretty straight forward and yes, you can use a terminal block with ring connections or terminal strip with bootlace connectors. Main thing to remember with NMEA 0183 is an output can be connected to multiple devices but any input can only be connected to one - it is not a bus type system - it's an old serial data protocol.