Thread: Boat based camping - all the gear

Boat based camping - all the gear

Hi All

For weeks I've been doing my head in thinking about where am I going to store all my gear for the upcoming Whitsundays trip 10 night trip
    What to take & where will it live in the boat for the trip across the Whitsundays passage . Having done the trip in this boat previously - I'm trying not to overload the boat to the point where it wont get up on the plane . That last trip was slow & wet running side on to a strong soueaster .
    Back to the Jenny Craig approach .
    I've cut back on fuel cartage - 140lts in the tank & I'll take an additional 46 lts (in two small fuel tanks) & 3 empty jerry cans which I'll fill at Hammo on the second or third day. Water (40lts) not 60lt ..... but taking a couple of collapsible water cans to be filled at Hammo as well.

The boat now has two big eskies - one 125lt which will be full of ice & drinks - the 158lt Mackerel box will be used for dry storage for the run across (probably put the water heater & Honda generator in it) .

I've got a few of those pelican style cases for more dry storage plus a tote or two - 40lt fridge & battery , 70lt esky . ( I've gone to a single 100amp Lithium & ditched the two 100amp AGMs - so I've saved weight there)
    We haven't got to the RV5 tent & tarp / poles / pegs ( I've cut the number of poles in half as I'll use ropes & a ratchet strap - between trees ) .

Anyhow I've taken a few photos to give you an idea of where everything is going ( I did a bit of a dry run yesterday)
    Fridge goes between the seat & console

Front deck storage.jpgFuel - Water.jpgEsky - totes.jpg

There are still things like chairs / table - but the main idea was where everything could go or be stored.

That said - I'm interested in your thoughts / ideas ..... what to take or not ........ how do people cope - or do you just do multiple runs to get what you need ?

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Re: Boat based camping - all the gear

Is there any mangroves on the islands you are staying on...maybe worth throwing in a couple of crab pots..?

Quote Originally Posted by disorderly View Post
    Is there any mangroves on the islands you are staying on...maybe worth throwing in a couple of crab pots..?
    I believe there are a few places but I wont be taking crab pots - though hopefully we get a few crays when we do some snorkeling

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Keep an eye out for the Bulls and Tigers around the islands if you are spearing some fish or crays..

We were out in the water around the islands off Mission beach on Thursday and the vis wasnt great and it was a bit sharky..

Some big resident bulls in one spot that have become increasing agressive to the point where we dont get in the water there anymore..

This fella got lucky off Cairns...

https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/austr...cid=uxbndlbing

reminds me off malcom douglas doing the trip to tassie via melbourne in a big rigid inflatable , lots of dry storage and more fuel to run the twin johnsons but , looks like your got everything covered , looks lots of storage area in the front is handy ,

Bigger boat.jpg .............

Quote Originally Posted by disorderly View Post
    Keep an eye out for the Bulls and Tigers around the islands if you are spearing some fish or crays..

We were out in the water around the islands off Mission beach on Thursday and the vis wasnt great and it was a bit sharky..

Some big resident bulls in one spot that have become increasing agressive to the point where we dont get in the water there anymore..

This fella got lucky off Cairns...

https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/austr...cid=uxbndlbing

Crocwise , stingerwise , stonefishwise, sharkwise ...... God I love NQ

Appreciate the heads up

Actually when we headed up last time - it was a matter of weeks after those 3 attacks in Cid Harbour (we were camping pretty close to where they happened) .
    We certainly wont be snorkeling in anything but clear water & nothing in low light . So even if we head out to the reef , any snorkeling will be middle of the day stuff.

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by catshark View Post
    reminds me off malcom douglas doing the trip to tassie via melbourne in a big rigid inflatable , lots of dry storage and more fuel to run the twin johnsons but , looks like your got everything covered , looks lots of storage area in the front is handy ,
    I do remember that video ...... - though I could never work out why he drove through the CBD with the RIB in tow

Getting the biggest Mackerel box (158lt) that I could fit up the front makes for some pretty good dry storage ( just need to work out what to put in there) . It's big enough to take the Honda genny , Hot water heater , gas bottle - then once unloaded it goes back to it's intended use & much better than the 100lt mackerel box that I replaced .
    The water proof (reasonably waterproof ) pelican style cases are as much about convenience as anything (loading & unloading the car / boat) - strong enough to walk on or stack if on the boat (trade off is extra weight) .
    You cant get away from taking a bit of kit if you are heading away for 10 nights .... that's the reality

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO