Thread: battery isolator switch

battery isolator switch

My sons year old stacer 4.3 proline has a screw up/down isolator on the battery negative post and is hard to get to, so thinking of installing the BEP style, "just on off", single battery switch, which post should I connect the switch to, Pos or Neg? .

Re: battery isolator switch

Positive for the battery isolator

Sent from my CPH2197 using Tapatalk

Traditionally they switch the positive side, but, in a way, it makes little difference in a simple DC series circuit, technically if you switch the negative side, the positive is live all the way to the motor, but with no negative, it can't be "live" anyway. But most switch the positive, make sure some things that need constant power are not on the switched side, things like auto bilge pumps, radios that need "memory", stuff like that.

Thanks blokes, I have always hooked up the pos to dc switches/isolators, when I spotted that their setup was on the neg post I wondered.
    I got a pub trivia question wrong when asked which way does dc run, answered to pos, NO! To neg, thought there must be a good reason hence the question.
    Mark
    I think the question was “does dc current flow out of pos or neg” I answered pos.

It's possible the boat might be suffering some leakage electrically which is why they went this way or just they had no idea.

Ally boat of course, merc 50 4s all new, dealer has good rep not a fly by night operation,
    Just curious really, I am aware that dc stuff can be a ford v holden thing.