Thread: Box Trailers

Box Trailers

Thinking of getting a gal box trailer and it seems there are 2 price brackets. About $2k which look ok and something like a Belco at around $4k for the same. I'm guessing the cheaper ones are Chinese imports like the cheaper boat trailers...
    Are the cheaper ones any good or just rubbish?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Ausfish Platinum Member

Re: Box Trailers

I've got a zincalume trailer, 8x5 with the high side and cage, cost a bit when we bought it, but well worth it. Tough as nuts, lots of decent size support beams underneath, good strong drawbar.
    It sits in the weather and has done since we got it back in 2010. Paint is now getting a bit stone chipped, it has travelled everywhere from Snowy Mountains to Cairns and in between multiple times, so I'm thinking of giving it a birthday and giving the high stone chip areas a coat of raptor coating.
    I definitely think it's along the lines of 'you get what you pay for'.
    I'd make sure that whatever you're looking at, it is 'C' channel or Box section, not angle iron, and bottom and side thickness is good. Look for drain holes in the front so it doesn't sit with water in it and a strong coupling, not a cheap one.
    Cheers
    Corry

I bought a Chinese " Long Haul" 7x5 trailer with cage it also has a tilt facility on it. I have had it for about seven years and it has been pretty good although I do not use it much and it is kept under cover. This trailer would not be as good as quality as an Australian made trailer but for general household use it is fine. The tyres could be a little more "heavy duty", maybe Light tuck tyres instead of standard tyres but I'm happy with mine.

Excellent, thanks Bugsy. One of the brands I raised an eyebrow at. Good to hear a real world review.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Theres a bloke on Wynnum rd I think it is- just past the intersection for the road the hemmant cemetary is on that sells trailers second hand built using alloy drop side ute trays. From memory had one out front for $1200 last time I went past.