Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What brand 17ft have glass structure

What brand 17ft have glass structure

Hey guys not in a position just yet to buy another hull but wondering what brand 17 footers have fibreglass stringers?

I came across this leasure craft which appears around 16-17ft with fibreglass stringers

A thermolite floor/transom is a piece of cake to do
    Attached Images Attached Images

Ausfish Silver Member Ducksnutz's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: What brand 17ft have glass structure

Tournament pleasure boats from 2010 onwards is one I know of I think.
    Matilda

Thanks Ducks, 2010 probably way out of my affordability

Allison range.

What makes you think it has no timber? Looks like someone has cut it to bits, decided it was a way bigger job than anticipated and now wants to flog it off. I kind of wondered if it would be possible to make the floor out of solid glass, no idea how to hold it up to do the first layers, but it was something I thought about at one time, but then, with better materials these days, why bother?

Yeah it looks like someone has hacked into the rear of those stringers with no idea at all, its a nice looking hull though

A full glass floor may be hard to do but not impossibke if u can make a template than make a base like a mould and wax/pva it than build up alaminate, trim the laminate than glue it into the hull gee it would be strong 8-10mm of glassis only 10 layers of cloth and mat since its a flat surface one could use 800gram mat

It sure would add to the weight and make the boat handle well

Make up a cradle to square up the boat, first couple of glass is easy, just a sheet of black plastic on a flat piece of concrete driveway, can be cut shy of the hull, glue that in then layer the rest in. Long handled tools, too easy.
    Although in all likelihood it would be easier to use the hull as a plug and make a new hull.

I could rebuild one with thermolite but the foam leaves out a lot of the needed weight that the plywood adds, my caribbean only just came out heavy enough for my chines to touch the water and i was really worried about my engine being to heavy

Another project will likely be on the cards but its going to have no plywood and i have a bit of experience with fibreglassing now so may even do a euro transom

Why do you need another project?

Quote Originally Posted by billfisher View Post
    Why do you need another project?
    Still 2 years to run on the current one but no harm in looking.

Current boat just needs to be painted and fitted out properly tidy up the wiring in spiral cable wrap, rolocate battery(s) rewire in LBT, instal a deck wash and shes done

I dont need a second boat but i enjoyed what i done with the caribbean

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    i enjoyed what i done with the caribbean
    That's not the impression your thread here gave, but okay.

Quote Originally Posted by Mopheus View Post
    That's not the impression your thread here gave, but okay.
    As a first build i had people from all positions bending me over saying it will fail, boat will snap in half, it will sink, transom will fall off, in amung all there there was people just down right hating me, having a go at me for whatever reason

I had a small portion of blokes on here that actually assisted with helping and positive encouragement had i got that right thru the build it would have been a rosey ending

There was pretty much a pissed of person at every turn saying your doomed #### it was so hard with so much negativity

Now i know i have the ability to fibreglass altho not perfect it hasnt failed i have a bit of trust in my work and maybe next time i can focus on perfecting my faults, i wont need to be guided

People wont need to get pissed off as i likely wont need their advice but saying that it was hard to get advice from 3 people at once and everyone wanting me to follow there method on one job without pissing off the other two people

"People wont need to get pissed off as i likely wont need their advice but saying that it was hard to get advice from 3 people at once and everyone wanting me to follow there method on one job without pissing off the other two people"

Bloody hell mate! don't get married!

Quote Originally Posted by bobfromblacky View Post
    "People wont need to get pissed off as i likely wont need their advice but saying that it was hard to get advice from 3 people at once and everyone wanting me to follow there method on one job without pissing off the other two people"

Bloody hell mate! don't get married!
    Applying the Gaz logic from the post above yours I think any relationship difficulties Gaz might have will be quickly blamed on random strangers from the internet.

Matt