Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: "Hub in a tub"

"Hub in a tub"

ppppppppppppppppppp

Re: "Hub in a tub"

Mount your spare on a complete stub.....saves having to carry the tub about.
    Jack.

ppppppppppppp

Nah. I just carry enough spares to rebuild - only takes 20 minutes unless you've been slack enough to let the bearings weld themselves on.

ppppppppppppppppppp

Quote Originally Posted by blacklab View Post
    Scott, I was in getting new bearings a while back, to get it all prepared and for $70 odd bucks for a complete hub, bearings installed and greased up, I thought it was not a bad thing to carry.
    I do my bearings regularly, keep them maintained, well, at least every 12 months, and I always carry spares all ready to swap out should the need arise in an emergency.
    But for added insurance, and there relative cheap cost, I thought you can't go wrong with the wee bucket..... Purely for road side emergency happenings...
    Yeah all good. One of those things. In 30 years of towing boats the closest I've ever come to a bearing failure was a seized brake caliper - including dragging one rig from Perth to Brisbane across the Nullabor for shits and giggles. I did a roadside rebuild on the hub with the seized brake just to make sure there was enough grease to get me home but probably didn't need to - bearing was fine. Not sure whether I've just been lucky or not or whether bearings really need to be buggered before they become a major issue. Main thing I do is regular temp checks - every time we stop and a service before any big trip. Probably put the mockers on myself now LOL. Speaking of roadside emergency happenings........if you are relying on your car jack in the event of a puncture, make sure it will fit under the axle or lift high enough to get the wheel off the ground if you jack off the frame. Just something I picked up on...........on the side of the Gateway motorway

My last trip to port kembla i thought was an ordinary day, pulled up got the boat ready and dipped the trailer lityle did i know the seals were cactus, i dipped warm bearings in to cold water it must have made the bearings spit

We went for a fish and came back in packed up and took off, we made it back out on tbe main entry road just as i took off at the lights seen ghe wheel wobbling just about to fall off quickly pulled into a bus lane

Inspected the wheel and what had happen, googled a super cheap drove there and bought a new set of bearings went back to the boat and had bought the wrong bearings back to super cheap.. returned to the boat and we were gone within 15mins, got home and the other side was cactus just as i got in the driveway,

Much easier being prepared, spare wheel, spare greased bearings, spare axle nut and split pin, jack, correct wheel brace

A f... up will set u back 2-3 hours in the city rushing around to find shops that have what u need, go prepared with everything you'll be on the side of road for 15mins

A break down after 8-9 hours on the water is a nightmare and its happen to me 2 times in the last few years

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    My last trip to port kembla i thought was an ordinary day, pulled up got the boat ready and dipped the trailer lityle did i know the seals were cactus, i dipped warm bearings in to cold water it must have made the bearings spit

We went for a fish and came back in packed up and took off, we made it back out on tbe main entry road just as i took off at the lights seen ghe wheel wobbling just about to fall off quickly pulled into a bus lane

Inspected the wheel and what had happen, googled a super cheap drove there and bought a new set of bearings went back to the boat and had bought the wrong bearings back to super cheap.. returned to the boat and we were gone within 15mins, got home and the other side was cactus just as i got in the driveway,

Much easier being prepared, spare wheel, spare greased bearings, spare axle nut and split pin, jack, correct wheel brace

A f... up will set u back 2-3 hours in the city rushing around to find shops that have what u need, go prepared with everything you'll be on the side of road for 15mins

A break down after 8-9 hours on the water is a nightmare and its happen to me 2 times in the last few years
    Why doesn't this surprise me ?

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Aahhh, the memories, parked on the side of the highway, blazing hot summers day, kids screaming in the back, mum screaming in the front, me gazing at a melted bearing in the boat trailer, inadequate tools, the spares packed away under a mountain of luggage in the back, it's Sunday, 30Ks from the nearest town......how much fun is summer family holidays down the coast?

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    Why doesn't this surprise me ?

Chris
    Ok. How many times do u pull up at a boat ramp after a 1 hour drive than roll under the trailer to inspect your seals? Once its dipped in the w ater and the boat is off its too late

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    Aahhh, the memories, parked on the side of the highway, blazing hot summers day, kids screaming in the back, mum screaming in the front, me gazing at a melted bearing in the boat trailer, inadequate tools, the spares packed away under a mountain of luggage in the back, it's Sunday, 30Ks from the nearest town......how much fun is summer family holidays down the coast?
    It's still available as a holiday option with a modern day grandkid. Saw it in a brochure. Sounds like a hoot 😜

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    Ok. How many times do u pull up at a boat ramp after a 1 hour drive than roll under the trailer to inspect your seals? Once its dipped in the w ater and the boat is off its too late
    Every pit stop including at the ramp the hubs get touched for signs of heat and a quick peek under the trailer, if the seals were cactus the amount of grease on the inside of the hub should tell you something.
    We are talking of 60 secs max.

if you do your maintenance gazza you dont get the issues you have, but hey at least that second wheel didnt come off and kill someone so thats a bonus

a bearing should not get hot enough to prevent you holding your hand on it even after 1000km non stop.
    so with maintained seals cups bearings and correct tension by the time you have taken the strap off and got the boat ready you can back it straight in.

i do new bearings every year when regos due, i dont pay the rego till ive done the bearings
    i have a complete hub and bearing setup greased in a vacuumed sealed bag which ive never had to use
    tyres replaced every 3-4 years
    and on a trip i pull over after 10 mins or before i get on the freeway to check by holding hand on bearing face and rocking both tyres

Never had a failure with those precautions

poor maintenace caused your issues not bearing heat mythology