Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 150hp Etec

Re: 150hp Etec

PM sent ..................
    What could go wrong.......................

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    60kms u would be stupid not carring a sat phone or run twin engines
    or option 3 as used by 95% of local boaties ......just be running any motor other then an Etec....

When i had the 130hp etec that was blown up due to a failed injector if i had the extra $500 i would have bought that second hand powerhead for it but i had some doubts about the powerhead coming from a wreckers so that would have played on my mind but swapping the powerhead on the 90hp mercury played on my mind too untill i tested it and now she has about 4 hours on it im lovin it

That 130hp etec on my hull would have flown
    Thats certainly a ringing endorsement for buying an Etec....thanks for your valuable input on the topic...

You tell him @gazza2006au

The stupid shit boaties do. Look at this clown. Running offshore with a motorcycle battery in the engine well. Word on the internet is he uses that to start his boat. ####ing crazy. I also heard he has no bilge pump and a tiny fuel tank that he never fills to the top and has been know to have engine problems due to lack of fuel.

#### that engine looks like it needs to be higher also

Happy Friday
    Matt

Wow .... all those past threads relating to ETECs & here we are

It's such a shame that so many scmick hulls have been fitted with Ebombs ....... love em or hate em - the dealers certainly hate them . The same thing was said to me over the years (wont touch them) . Boaters be warned

Try selling a boat with an Ebomb & its "thanks but no thanks "

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    Wow .... all those past threads relating to ETECs & here we are

It's such a shame that so many scmick hulls have been fitted with Ebombs ....... love em or hate em - the dealers certainly hate them . The same thing was said to me over the years (wont touch them) . Boaters be warned

Try selling a boat with an Ebomb & its "thanks but no thanks "

Chris
    Yeah your right, try selling a boat with an etec it has lower resale value than a old two stroke and four strokes seem to be the latest buzz on a second hand boat purchase

I still think etecs are under rated

That's not very nice Gazza.
    I regularly go out 60 kms up here as well as other members, I only have 1 motor and don't have a satellite phone either. When possible we'll go with another boat but not always possible. That's just a fact of life up here, we don't have some of the same fish you have on your doorstep, mind you we don't take those kingies you southerners like, up here their flesh is soft and mushy.

Quote Originally Posted by shortthenlong View Post
    You tell him @gazza2006au

The stupid shit boaties do. Look at this clown. Running offshore with a motorcycle battery in the engine well. Word on the internet is he uses that to start his boat. ####ing crazy. I also heard he has no bilge pump and a tiny fuel tank that he never fills to the top and has been know to have engine problems due to lack of fuel.

#### that engine looks like it needs to be higher also

Happy Friday
    Matt
    Matt i was 500 meters offshore we even drifted within 20 meters of the north bommie at cronulla

We were in no danger, the driving manner, the battery placement, the 30 litres of fuel etc..

I have trust in a solar panel to rotate a straight 6 holden commodore water pump to move the water and shoot it out the side at 50 miles per hour it even works in the dark

We have no life jackets we just wear a car wheel tube around our waste self inflate it when we become air borne over a 60 foot tsunami and hopefully a disorderly comes along in his china boat to save our day say a amen and prayer

You are starting to act like a real wanka again Gazza..

Carrying on like an authority on an Etec thread that a poor blokes after real world experience of, when you have never even owned anything but a blown up Etec that you never even got running...

Get your boat seaworthy and just go fishing and quit the gibberish and insults...it never ends well for you..

Ausfish Silver Member Ducksnutz's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I’ll add to my initial post, I’ve had all donks in different HP. The Etec was fantastic for the 700 hours. Just thought I’d clear that up in case my post was negative towards the brand.

Carry on…
    Matilda

I have been out bid on the boat. Maybe it was a good thing. Hard to buy a decent boat at a reasonable price in covid times. Thank you members for your helpful replies.

Knot, i donno your budget but theres a bloke stinging to sell his haines hunter 600R on the central coast NSW he had 50k on it than lowered it hours later to 40k he says he is very desperate to sell as theres a boat he has an eye on at a govenment sale so he may drop his dacks for asale really nice looking boat

I'd dive in with an offer around $26,000
    Attached Images Attached Images

Yeah your right, try selling a boat with an etec it has lower resale value than a old two stroke and four strokes seem to be the latest buzz on a second hand boat purchase

I still think etecs are under rated
    They are rated the way they are for a reason Gazza (probably several reasons)

Ignore Joe average ( & the sponsored types) ..... then take a look at all the various government authorities etc & see what motors have been fitted .

They go great - till & when they dont ...... confidence is not a word that you'd associate with the ETEC

Yes & like the old FICHT motor ..... there are people that still have them & still love them too

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Having owned just about every brand, and old carb 2 strokes, FICHT, e-tec and a few 4 strokes, to me there is a very clear winner, by a very long margin, it's the 4 stroke, and strangely enough, the second best was the FICHTs, but they were 115HP and the V4s never had issues like the V6s did. The "old school" 2 strokes were simple enough, but rough, primitive engineering, most times they started, sometimes not, but that was just accepted then, had an old 135 "tower of power" Merc that was a constant lottery whether it was going to start or not, when it went, it was great, until it caught fire......had Johnson's of various HP, a couple of V4 Evinrudes, and a pair of 115 FICHTs on a cat, put over 2,000 hours on them. When I moved to 4 strokes I was working part time for a Mercury dealer, and I bought Suzuki's, go figure, then when I got my Yamaha on my tinny, I was working part time for a Honda dealer, nearly got a Honda instead, and in a way, wish I did, I won't even mention the e-tec, it was short lived and kind of killed any love for the idea of a DFI 2 stroke.

Like every engine brand, for every owner that has a horror story there are plenty more that are perfectly happy with their motors. They are so hard to sell that....oh hang on...outbid. Doesn't matter.

They still have a dedicated band of followers that through personal experience are quite happy to put down a good chunk of change. A good friend who can only be described as fastidious has sold two boats with them and an engine in the 10 years I've known him for numbers that even had me scratching my head. I do agree they are harder to shift quickly and dealers are after a quick turn around with second hand stock as it's costing them money just sitting there and it's hard to sell something you spend a heap of time telling prospective clients is no good - which I get - BRP started that ball rolling with their targetted anti 4 stroke advertising. In the end as the other manufacturers dropped their DI offerings Evinrude became an easy target for the rest of an industry that doesn't forget and is as cut throat as they come.

Would I however purchase another one given I'm now 10 years into an ownership experience experiment on a now 15 year old engine.......only if the price was right. More to do with BRP pulling the rug from under the brand than anything. Skilled techs are getting harder to find period let alone on a brand no longer actively doing technician training and as time goes by I can't see parts getting easier to come by. Dealerships are more interested in sales and easy periodical "money for jam" maintenance than keeping older engines running and they make a shot load from 4 stroke servicing which I get from a commercial stand point.

Yep, that about covers it!