Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: It pays to shop around

It pays to shop around

pppppppppppppppppp

Re: It pays to shop around

Quote Originally Posted by blacklab View Post
    Decided to check the waters while up here in NSW for new Outboard prices.
    It was an interesting exercise and gave me enough info on which way I would go.
    I had the opportunity to either buy new, in Melbourne or NSW, so I left my options open, as I have storage in Melbourne, should the prices be substantially more expensive in NSW,
    I would simply store the boat down there, wait for the motor arrival and fitting up and go pick it up and drive it up.

Narrowed it down to either the 140 Suzuki, or the 115 Merc Pro XS, command thrust, Both motors had pluses and minuses, so I kept my options open.
    The Suzuki price, which was for the new model, with gauge, fitting and prop water test, came in cheaper in NSW but only by a few hundred dollars over Melbourne.
    The mercury option, same package make up, fitting, mercury smart gauge, prop water test, was where I was quite amazed.
    NSW, again came up trumps, with a quote, That was near $1500 cheaper than the Melbourne Quote, BUT, was still $2800 more expensive than the 140 price.

I was quite amazed that The Mercury 115, was now near 3k more expensive than the Suzuki 140.
    Previously I had priced both up in Melbourne, with the Mercury consistently, up to 3k cheaper than the Suzuki,, this was pre Covid , But the turn around was quite astonishing.
    So much so, I got another quote from Melbourne which came in with only a few hundred dollars difference.

Both engine suppliers would have the same shipping issues at the minute, not sure whether our Aussie dollar is playing a part here, or the legendary Covid tax comes into it.
    It was a simple decision for me and I slapped a deposit down on the 140 here in NSW.
    I probably would of gone with the Merc, having owned a few of them in the past and the fact there is a near 20 kg weight saving, But my final decision was down to the coin, as I don't see enough advantage in the Merc to justify a near 3k pricing difference.
    Anyone else re powered lately and had a comparison???..

Col
    I suspect it has more to do with availability. I don't think you will regret a few more horses though.

pppppppppppp

Ausfish Silver Member Ducksnutz's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Yep Col, I re-powered last may and was looking at the Suzuki 150 and Yamaha 150. The Zuk was the closest dealer and servicing but they wanted $3K more.

I asked would they match the Yammie, or at least discount, and was told politely no.

Ended up upgrading my sounder with the money I saved and the Yammie dealership I purchased from is only another half our from the Zuk dealer.
    Matilda

Can I ask a ball park price of the Zuk or the Merc?

pppppppppppp

Hi Sam,
    Yeah, I'm sure happy with my choice.
    I dunno about the availability, both have long lead times, Maybe the US versus Japan, Maybe....
    Just an interesting price swing, all the same...
    That's what I was thinking - Freight charges out of the US are through the roof & the delays are huge.

My DF140 seems to be OK ..... still would have preferred a Yammi on the back though .

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

ppppppppppppppp

Chris, I think that's part of it, but I would say freight from Japan would factor as well.
    Maybe production numbers in the states have impacted, where as the Jap's may have been less impacted..
    Huge turn around percentage wise on the Merc's but... and it could be purely dealerships here, gouging or Covid taxing, dunno..
    Mate has the same hull as mine with the 140, so had a reference point to compare, I'm still comfortable with this choice, even though I originally had decided on Merc..
    As it's mentioned here quite often, out of the big guys, I don't think now days there's a " bad " motor being made.
    I will say though, I actually called in in person to the Merc guy for a price, told him straight I was looking at options and was met with the old rhetoric of " You realise the Suzuki 140 is only 128hp "...
    Cant believe that old song is still being used...........

Are you happy overall Chris with your Donk ???
    Overall - yes ..... no real issues after 3 1/2 years .

Just found it a little clunkier ( trim) & not as smooth on acceleration when compared to the 100 yammi I had on the Seajay .
    Sure not comparing same size donk or even same hull ..... but it was noticeable to me .

Another 3 or 4 yeas - I'll nudge it up with a 150 yammi .

I'm sure you are going to be happy with with the Suzuki though

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

ppppppppppppppppp

The 140 has been around for years now, even though it has had minor updates, plenty say it's a "weak" 140, some even mention 128HP, that Internet "truth" just keeps on keeping on. Most compare it to other makers 150's, which is kind of strange, never is the Suzuki 150 compared (well rarely) its the 140 that gets spoken about. I looked after 2 on mates boats for years, and if the correct maintenance is carried out, they are a great motor. If I was after something in that kind of HP it would certainly be looked at, I guess it's a bit of an odd HP really.

pppppppppppppp

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    The 140 has been around for years now, even though it has had minor updates, plenty say it's a "weak" 140, some even mention 128HP, that Internet "truth" just keeps on keeping on. Most compare it to other makers 150's, which is kind of strange, never is the Suzuki 150 compared (well rarely) its the 140 that gets spoken about. I looked after 2 on mates boats for years, and if the correct maintenance is carried out, they are a great motor. If I was after something in that kind of HP it would certainly be looked at, I guess it's a bit of an odd HP really.
    When it was first introduced 20 years ago the 140 was just an uprated 90/115hp..

Whereas the 150 is the same engine as the 175/200 hp with almost 50% more displacement then the 140..

No use getting defensive about calling it a "weak" 140...cause it just kinda is..

It seems to fill the niche for people that would really like a 150 but dont want to pay for it and 140 sounds close to 150..

In the end it doesnt really matter..if it does the job and the owner is happy then alls good..

But if you buy it because its a few grand cheaper then a proper 150 and you thought you should get similar performance and then always kinda regret it then thats gunna suck big time..

Good to hear Chris, Sounds like you've had a good run..
    My initial hesitancy on the 140's, was because mates of mine putting them on the likes of 6 meter signatures and the likes, there performance was like a bag of shite.
    There only a 2 litre and I think people just looked at the HP rather than the cubes,,,Alot were matched up by dealers for a new boat and motor packages. Others I know that have put them on smaller hulls, up to 5.5, absolutely luv there performance, which is where mine will sit me thinks.....
    Either way, they seem to be near bullet proof engines...

Col
    I wouldn't want the 140 on a 6m glass boat ..... nope , no way .

Put another 350kgs of weight in my boat ( like when we go on a camping trip ) - 2 people / extra fuel / ice / water & camping gear ..... & it's a bag of chit

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

I have a 2012 df 140 on my 542rf Sig, yep it can be a slug getting onto the plane at times but it does it good enough, I re powered from a yam 130 saltwter series 2 banger which was a snarling, thirsty, hard to start bastard of a thing, jeez I miss it sometimes!, but love the economy of the Suz and it starts everytime and doesn't stink, the weight factor between the 140 and 150 would be a consideration, at least for my hull.
    Mark