Thread: Spinning for spotties

Spinning for spotties

With mackerel season only a few weeks away, what spinning gear are people using? 3-6, 4-8, 5-10kg rods? 3000, 4000, 5000 size spinning reels? Make and models? Slug sizes?

Thought this might be fun.

Ausfish Silver Member Ducksnutz's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: Spinning for spotties

Hey Billy, this is my go to set up mate.

Daiwa Morethan 2510H (PE 1) with an Ian Miller 7’6” Beast Buster LM (Rod specs-7-28g lure, 5-8kg line) usually start with a 10-15g slug.
    Matilda

Quote Originally Posted by Ducksnutz View Post
    Hey Billy, this is my go to set up mate.

Daiwa Morethan 2510H (PE 1) with an Ian Miller 7’6” Beast Buster LM (Rod specs-7-28g lure, 5-8kg line) usually start with a 10-15g slug.
    Nice bit of kit there
    - does the reel feel a little small for the rod ?

(btw - I have the same rod for my snapper placcy fishing - but run a Certate HD4000SH on it

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

You dont need much when it comes to spotties - I 've knocked them over using a Samurai 302 (6-12lb) & ATC Valiant 5000 (equiv to a 3000 size shimano - 12lb braid) Was using soft plastics though with 1/4 ounce jig heads . This is what I would describe as a very light snapper outfit.

Now it really depends on do you want to dick around with the fish on light line or land them relatively quickly - what are the sharks like in the area ?

If I had to have an out fit at the ready - it would be what I just mentioned in the previous post . A 7.6ft ish 5-8kg rod 3000-4000 Daiwa sized reel with 16-20 lb braid . This outfit would cast any metal a country mile (or plastic ) allow you to have some fun - but also have the power to deal with say a tuna if you hook one .

IMHO - spotties are not the ideal fish to target on lures - by that I mean more difficult to target when say compared to a live bait or floating pilchard ....... there is no need for speed. Rather than a metal - A topwater stickbait would be my preference .

Best of luck with it - great little fish & top eating too.
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Ausfish Silver Member Ducksnutz's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    Nice bit of kit there
    - does the reel feel a little small for the rod ?

(btw - I have the same rod for my snapper placcy fishing - but run a Certate HD4000SH on it

Chris
    Yeah it does feel a tad small but I prefer my rod lure rating maximum to be around 40-45g for any reel in the 3500-4000 size Daiwa reels.
    I find it nice and light for spinning slugs without fatigue setting in.
    Matilda

Quote Originally Posted by Ducksnutz View Post
    Yeah it does feel a tad small but I prefer my rod lure rating maximum to be around 40-45g for any reel in the 3500-4000 size Daiwa reels.
    I find it to be nice and light for spinning slugs without fatigue setting in.
    No doubt it would be a delight to use

I would have loved that rod back in my impoundment barra days for chucking hollowbellies & frogs

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Know the thread title is "Spinning For Spotties " so may be talking out of line here but Two things i used take out when the Spotties were running were Block of Pillies and a couple of Chux (green in colour ).
    Run out of Pillies and cut up chux in long strips , fold over so they freely flutter about on three 7/0 ganged hooks with running sinker top of the first hook and cast out and slowly or medium wind back to the Boat..
    Hard to say which they liked best the Pillies or the Chux lol.
    Dont chasd them nowdays though so talikng about the past here ey ..

Quote Originally Posted by Volvo View Post
    Know the thread title is "Spinning For Spotties " so may be talking out of line here but Two things i used take out when the Spotties were running were Block of Pillies and a couple of Chux (green in colour ).
    Run out of Pillies and cut up chux in long strips , fold over so they freely flutter about on three 7/0 ganged hooks with running sinker top of the first hook and cast out and slowly or medium wind back to the Boat..
    Hard to say which they liked best the Pillies or the Chux lol.
    Dont chasd them nowdays though so talikng about the past here ey ..
    When they are on ..... they are on - 4 pillies out ... 4 hookups & 3 landed triple spotties .jpg
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Nice ones Chris , and nice chewing also though dont chase them nowdays due to the old aged back if the weather is out a tad .
    Though we pick up the odd one that lost its way in the harbour here or when i do decide to venture out with a mate if the weather is fine.

Thanks for your replies. My light-ish spin gear is getting a bit long in the tooth (original white Shimano terez 15-30lb, Shimano stradic 4000) so wanted to upgrade. I've never really liked the short butt length on the terez either, I think it costs a bit of casting distance and struggles with the lighter lures.

I might check out the Miller rods and see what else is available around that length.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy C View Post
    Thanks for your replies. My light-ish spin gear is getting a bit long in the tooth (original white Shimano terez 15-30lb, Shimano stradic 4000) so wanted to upgrade. I've never really liked the short butt length on the terez either, I think it costs a bit of casting distance and struggles with the lighter lures.

I might check out the Miller rods and see what else is available around that length.
    I think the miller production rods are reasonably good value ($440) Beast Buster LMC 762
    You could also check out the Nomads NIS2P7620-30 ($260) they have a longer grip
    Shimano Anthem 762SP ($263)

All of these rods will do the trick - 7'6" longer butt sections - will be ok for 20lb braid

prices are from MO tackle

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Anyone used one of the Shimano Dialuna rods? I see they have a 7’6” rod rated 8-20lb.