Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: People going ape over fuel prices, how are u baring the cost?

Re: People going ape over fuel prices, how are u baring the cost?

I have a friend that used to own one of the few remaining fish trawlers down here, once the tanker gauge starts going past a few thousand litres, it kind of put it all in perspective, my 200l boat and 140l car seems like mower fuel by comparison....

Until you are measuring your fuel in cubic metres, are you even going to sea 😂

Yep, diesel capacity on the cruiser is 2000L. That's a $3300 fill at current dock prices for around 330nm / 615km range.

$5.40/km.

The simple answer is buy the boat you can afford to run. There's no shame in not having the play money that others might.

When your boat has no bilge pump a unrestrained battery and no wiring system or ability to isolate power and your offshore
    is the cost of fuel really a priority ?

It's all relative to your income / means

My boating journey has seen me creep up in what was affordable at the time - there is no point in owning a boat that you cannot afford to run & maintain . I've got a motor service next week & that's going to sting but it's budgeted for .
    I know if I lived up north & wanted to go out to the reef every opportunity ..... I'd struggle too.
    I've known too many people that have bought boats that were beyond their means .... It was all cool & fine when they had their deckies to chip in - right till they had to service their twin motors or slip their moored boat etc
    It's like owning a big V8 & whining about the fuel bill driving to work every day ...... it's simple , don't buy the V8.

unfortunately if you can only afford to run a car topper - then get a car topper. There would be nothing worst than having a boat in the driveway that you couldn't afford to run or handle without others ....... that would be the pits

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Just took my tow vehicle for rego and was told the LPG is up for 10 yearly inspection in 12 months bugger tank needs testing and the converter is leaking coolant think i may be looking for a new car

My first boats were small. I would carry my mower tin to the boat and Fill Er Up Times were much simpler then. Prior to that I would check out all the rocks to get my hooks,sinkers and swivels. Just like the big tackle shops only cheaper. A coke bottle with about 20yards of line was enough. I couldnt cast any further. anyway.. I would help some old guys collect yabbies and they would give me some for my effort (only if I pumped them) I had fun doing that. Fishing was always very affordable. Fishing only gets more expensive when you can no longer fill your tank from your mower tin or Dads mower tin

Mick
    Not all tools are usefull.
    Nappies and politicians should be changed regularly for the same reason..

I guess it's just how we are these days, everyone wants to go further, faster, in more comfort and little effort, just imagine a decent trip now, the Smokey old two stroke, will probably start, no GPS, you need to line up some tree, if you could still see the trees, no mobile phone, VHF or navigation aids, just your old compass and some dumb luck, now it's a reel with 50 bearings and some kind of thermo nuclear line, a triple black, turned down eye chemically sharpened hook, thousands of dollars worth of "gizmos" a couple on motors..........not so simple!

When I was 18 and bought my first V8 everyone told me I was mad because petrol had passed the 30 cent mark. Except an old guy I worked with (LOL...he was my age now...) who said that petrol is the cheapest thing you put in a car. More true with boats I reckon.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    Just took my tow vehicle for rego and was told the LPG is up for 10 yearly inspection in 12 months bugger tank needs testing and the converter is leaking coolant think i may be looking for a new car
    Sell it to the guy at the bowser who was interested in it the other day.

just goes ta show !! Peoples out there marching and protesting over lockdowns and Vaccines and pay no heed to being ripped off at the bowser by Fuel Honchos trying to make up for losses, during last years Lockdowns Pandemic or should i say First wave..
    Anyhoos makes my 45 ltr tank back o the Fishraider look Cool at the time being , able to do three trips up the narrows or more closer by ..

My tank is pretty good 60L x $1.70P/L is only $102 to fill up we usually go 2-4ways in fuel, if i were to go out solo a trip would cost $140 for gas/unleaded a few bux for ice, catch some bait

Feel for the guys that are putting in 4x this amount for a days trip

Thinking about it i can cruise out to the closes fad and back on around 20 litres at 40kph 20kms to the fads that leaves me with 30 litres to play around out there and 10 litres reserve which is pretty good

You really have to keep it in perspective.

In Western Europe and the UK the cost is about $2.80 to more then $3 a litre for regular unleaded so we arent doing so bad in the big scheme of things..

Perspective again in the fact that many of us can actually afford to own and run a decent boat whilst, like many, just being a regular working man...and some that can still even afford it whilst living on welfare...

I think we have a lot to be grateful for really..

and if you have to scrimp and save a bit on other facets of your life to have the spare money to spend on your favourite pastime and boat then so be it...either do it or dont...

Its certainly not worth worrying too much about the things that you cannot control...I've sometimes lost more money in lost tackle and lures then the petrol has actually cost me...

Life's too short too spend it constantly complaining about every little thing in life....

Went past a 7-11 seen the sign $1.94 per litre for 91 unleaded same price at Caltex/Ampol holly shit, its only the little independant guys that are within reason at $1.47

I can still fill up at $1.94 but thats about $20 extra from a already high priced day