Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: No luck with popper yet

No luck with popper yet

Having watched you tube vids on poppers I thought I would buy one and give it a go. I fish land-based and the idea of a small popper that whiting bream, or trevally, maybe even a small flathead might hit seemed good. I bought a little one from BCF, about 60mm with a couple of trebles on it. So far, I have not caught a single fish. I have been out 4 times, trying a variety of places such as, over sand, in canals, near jetties, over rocky areas at high tide. All places where I have caught fish using bait in the past. I have tried incoming and outgoing tides.

One thing I am unsure of, how often do you get a hookup? I saw one video (talking about big poppers) that said you might cast 100 times to get a fish. Others make you think they get hit every few times they cast. What should be the reality in my situation with a small popper land-based?

Ausfish Silver Member Ducksnutz's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: No luck with popper yet

Hey mate, I’ve had no experience in small poppers land based but you mention the large popping taking 100 casts before you get a hit which I can relate to.

It can be hard work for no results but when you do, especially a GT, you forget all the hard work as the adrenaline and excitement sets in.

I’ve had success in the first cast and the last cast just as I was going to call it a day. It’s a challenge but one I enjoy.
    Matilda

It's the same with SP's and other lures, could be the colour, the retrieve rate, retrieve style, it can be a lot of different things. I once had a great session in flatties over very shallow weed beds but have not been able to do it again.
    There is a little trick with small poppers I use which is to retrieve with the line coming back and the forefinger holding the line close to the rod. This mimics twitching the rod tip and a lot easier. Try holding the rod low to the waters edge or change it to high. It can be the most subtleties of changes.

Fishing shows don’t show how many hours they have put in to get that footage
    a well known identy spent 9 days on the water to get two cod over a meter for a 15 minute segment on their show

all lures can be 100s if casts between fish
    poppers for whiting and the like are location specific need to work out when the fish are feeding and be there at that time tide and place

Quote Originally Posted by Ducksnutz View Post
    Hey mate, I’ve had no experience in small poppers land based but you mention the large popping taking 100 casts before you get a hit which I can relate to.

It can be hard work for no results but when you do, especially a GT, you forget all the hard work as the adrenaline and excitement sets in.

I’ve had success in the first cast and the last cast just as I was going to call it a day. It’s a challenge but one I enjoy.
    It helps to hear other's experiences - so thanks...

Quote Originally Posted by Dignity View Post
    It's the same with SP's and other lures, could be the colour, the retrieve rate, retrieve style, it can be a lot of different things. I once had a great session in flatties over very shallow weed beds but have not been able to do it again.
    There is a little trick with small poppers I use which is to retrieve with the line coming back and the forefinger holding the line close to the rod. This mimics twitching the rod tip and a lot easier. Try holding the rod low to the waters edge or change it to high. It can be the most subtleties of changes.
    Actually at first I struggled with getting it to NOT tangle the trebles with the line. I was twitching it too hard it seems. I am using small twitches and it is working more like a popper should (judging by videos). I will try varying it and see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by stevej View Post
    Fishing shows don’t show how many hours they have put in to get that footage
    a well known identy spent 9 days on the water to get two cod over a meter for a 15 minute segment on their show

all lures can be 100s if casts between fish
    poppers for whiting and the like are location specific need to work out when the fish are feeding and be there at that time tide and place
    I have one spot where and when the whiting feed, and can be caught with bait. I am assuming they will take a popper under the same conditions. Need to keep trying I suppose.

What rod line and lure are you using ?

What rod line and lure are you using ?
    Fibreglass 7'6" rod (cheap Surecatch, but I have others longer and shorter), spinning reel usually either Savage Stealth 2000 or Shimano Sienna FG2500. The lure, which I figure is very important, - I can't remember (threw the packet away) Small 60mm, looks a bit like the Halco Rooster Poddy Popper (has pink and silver as main colours). Bought it at BCF.

Edit: Oh and yellow braid (about 15 lb) - thinner kept getting wind knots)

Ok ....... the first thing you need to get right is the water depth -

I wont say that you cant catch them in deep water because no doubt someone will say BS In reality you need to be fishing in cm 's of water not meters , 30-60cms would be ideal . Remember whiting are a bottom feeder .... sucking up yabbies & worms - so the only way to get their attention is to be in their face.

Then you need to be where they are feeding ..... the obvious choice are sand flats - specially ones that hold yabbies ...... so flood tide . As the tide rises the whiting move over the flats to feed . Just keep walking back & cast over the newly flooded water .

Wind - the stiller the conditions the easier it will be to get their attention .
    Time of day ..... Hmmm I like late afternoon but middle of the day when overcast can work too.

The main thing is you need a location that you know that whiting feed over.

10 or so years ago I was lucky to live near a really good area ..... known for it's nipper pumping & I was keen to try topwater - I discovered that poppers worked but nowhere near that of a surface walking type lure like this Storm whiting lure (2).jpg

A popper can scare these whiting in ultra clear / shallow water . but you can be more subtle with a walk the dog retrieve ....... but when they are switched on (turn of the tide) you'll see the whiting make bow waves to chase down an erratically retrieved topwater ,

It is a confidence thing though - but rewarding on 4lb gear

stealth is pretty important if wading the flats .....

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Light braid 4-6 pound I use 2 pound
    4/6 pound leader and a light modern rod 2-2500 sized reel

I find clear poppers or lures like Sammy’s walk the dog type lures work best

Light braid 4-6 pound I use 2 pound
    4/6 pound leader and a light modern rod 2-2500 sized reel

I find clear poppers or lures like Sammy’s walk the dog type lures work best

Maybe I have chosen to try the wrong thing. I just do NOT get on with light braid. Wind knots every time, just too frustrating for words. If that's what it takes I better go back to bait.

Why do you use leader? Do you think the coloured braid scares the fish?

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    Ok ....... the first thing you need to get right is the water depth -

I wont say that you cant catch them in deep water because no doubt someone will say BS In reality you need to be fishing in cm 's of water not meters , 30-60cms would be ideal . Remember whiting are a bottom feeder .... sucking up yabbies & worms - so the only way to get their attention is to be in their face.

Then you need to be where they are feeding ..... the obvious choice are sand flats - specially ones that hold yabbies ...... so flood tide . As the tide rises the whiting move over the flats to feed . Just keep walking back & cast over the newly flooded water .

Wind - the stiller the conditions the easier it will be to get their attention .
    Time of day ..... Hmmm I like late afternoon but middle of the day when overcast can work too.

The main thing is you need a location that you know that whiting feed over.

10 or so years ago I was lucky to live near a really good area ..... known for it's nipper pumping & I was keen to try topwater - I discovered that poppers worked but nowhere near that of a surface walking type lure like this Storm whiting lure (2).jpg

A popper can scare these whiting in ultra clear / shallow water . but you can be more subtle with a walk the dog retrieve ....... but when they are switched on (turn of the tide) you'll see the whiting make bow waves to chase down an erratically retrieved topwater ,

It is a confidence thing though - but rewarding on 4lb gear

stealth is pretty important if wading the flats .....

Chris
    Thanks for all that info. OK, can certainly try the shallow water thing, wading back with the tide. I have the perfect spot that I know has whiting feeding over it at high tide, because I have caught them on worms.

Quote Originally Posted by back2boats;[URL="tel:1692000"
    1692000[/URL]]Maybe I have chosen to try the wrong thing. I just do NOT get on with light braid. Wind knots every time, just to frustrating for words. If that's what it takes I better go back to bait.

Why do you use leader? Do you think the coloured braid scares the fish?
    leader is used in 99% of situations
    the rod your using isn’t ideal it’s finesse fishing in shallow water anything that is not right will spook the fish

leader is used in 99% of situations
    the rod your using isn’t ideal it’s finesse fishing in shallow water anything that is not right will spook the fish
    I hate to question advice freely given, but how does a rod spook the fish?

Also, if I accept leader is used, fair enough, but why? Is it simply the colour scaring the fish. If so, what about a neutral grey braid?