Thread: Transducer issues - Sonar/depth rarely works anymore

Transducer issues - Sonar/depth rarely works anymore

Hello everyone,
    I'm just wondering if anyone has had their transducer suddenly stopped working/very intermittently stop working? I've got a Lowrance Hook Reveal 7TS, with the TripleShot transducer, and the last two times I've taken the boat out, the sonar isn't working, and I have no depth reading, or it's very intermittent in that it will work for 10-20 seconds and then no longer work. My sonar screen looks very similar to the picture I've attached.

I don't believe it's a placement issue for the transducer on the transom, as it's worked great for nearly two years.

I've checked the following:

• It's still inline and flat along the bottom of the hull;
    • I can get a temperature reading, just no depth or sonar readings
    • There doesn't appear to be any obvious signs where it's been hit or damaged
    • Unplugging the transducer cable shows that it's disconnected and I lose the temp reading
    • The unit is not in "demo" mode or "stopped" mode, and I can still record a sonar log
    • It makes no difference if I'm stopped, moving slowly or at speed (I've had it work intermittently at all three)
    • Its the same behaviour if I'm in 1m, 5m 20m water etc.
    • Factory reset of the unit

I think I've come to the conclusion that the transducer has somehow been damaged and needs replacing, I was just hoping that someone might have something else to try before I shell out for a new transducer?

Screenshot 2021-11-20 215612.jpg

Cheers,
    Justin

Re: Transducer issues - Sonar/depth rarely works anymore

It seems you've done about all you can. The only time I've had anything to do with a Lowrance Hook issue was on a mates. He bought a new unit, apparently Lowrance don't keep spare parts in Australia. Once the new unit was installed I pulled his old one apart and it turned out one of the cables internally had a break in it. Repaired it and worked, now has a spare but hasn't used it in 2 years.
    So at the end of all that it may not be the transducer which is the dearest part, if you could get hold of a loan of a transducer to just connect it and isolate whether it is the transducer or the head unit.

i just had a similar prob with my hook2 7 triple shot with intermittent bottom reading which is about 4 year old and done heaps of work i found on a usa site that these transducers only last about 4 years so took the punt and put a new one on prob fixed
    cheers snap

Transducers are cheap much cheaper than the head unit, a triple shot for my 9" is $200 for a $950 unit

By any chance have u left the fish finder running while the boats been out of the water?