Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FB Bargains

FB Bargains

I logged on this morning to check my facebook this morining i wasnt interested in buying anything but a rod and reel came up, it looked like a nice reel it had been listed for 3 hours with "if the adds up its still for sale" i sent the lady a msg asking what type of reel it was but a later closer look it was a $209 Daiwa BG 5000 for sale for $30!!!

My first thought maybe someone pulling a joke, the add was removed an hour afterI i sent a msg

A mate recently picked up a penn IV for $100 i think they are a $400 reel

Sales are sure out there i need to snag a few!!

Re: FB Bargains

IMO a lot of those FB bargain reels in the low to mid range are worth very little if you have to service them and replace bearings or drag washers or they have corrosion from sitting around covered in salt...a lot of people dont back the drags off and wash them properly before they get chucked in the cupboard or shed for however long...then you have to factor in running around, your time and fuel...time spent scrolling the groups regularly on FB etc...

But there is the occasional rare bargain to be found no doubt..

Quote Originally Posted by disorderly View Post
    IMO a lot of those FB bargain reels in the low to mid range are worth very little if you have to service them and replace bearings or drag washers or they have corrosion from sitting around covered in salt...a lot of people dont back the drags off and wash them properly before they get chucked in the cupboard or shed for however long...then you have to factor in running around, your time and fuel...time spent scrolling the groups regularly on FB etc...

But there is the occasional rare bargain to be found no doubt..
    Totally agree. I had a good quality OH that was serviced regularly, took a wave crossing the bar and the reel got soaked, didn't think much of it at the time and at the end of the trip just did a wipe over with a very light spray and silicone. 2 months later went to use it and it sounded off, the main bearing when stripped was stuffed and salt crystals throughout the reel. $40 of parts later and working well. 2nd hand reels can be a bargain but often not.

Right now the prices for decent second hand rods & reels are ridiculous ..... with some commanding well over the original purchase price - lots not much of a discount. ( no different to the second hand car / boat / caravan / camper market).

I would have concerns over any bit of tackle that has a price that seems too good to be true ..... particularly reels.

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Yep most of the stuff for sale on the fb pages are priced so high you may as well buy new and get warranty
    lures are one thing I look out for as swim bait lures are expensive

many decent reels I’ll just grab a jap import for less I have no warranty either way with the jap or second hand Aussie reel

Did you need a reel Gazza ? Or another impulse buy with a hole burning in your pocket

Ausfish Silver Member Ducksnutz's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    Right now the prices for decent second hand rods & reels are ridiculous ..... with some commanding well over the original purchase price - lots not much of a discount. ( no different to the second hand car / boat / caravan / camper market).

I would have concerns over any bit of tackle that has a price that seems too good to be true ..... particularly reels.

Chris
    Yep, saw a used Tiagra 50W on market place just yesterday for $1,000. Shop around and you can pick them up for under $800 new. Bizarre.
    Matilda

That’s ridiculous. Yes can buy new for 800 in many locations.

Sent from my iPad using Ausfish forums

I picked up a bigw rod and reel just for squidding i didnt realise there quality going from shimano and ugly stick to ten force was so horrible, the reel feels stiffer than opening a can of baked beans with a can opener

Rod is very tip heavy but seemsok quality for a cheapy, rod reel and line cost $20

I'll chuck a shimano sienna on the rod when i can order one

This was a good score for someone, listed on a group from a bloke stripping his boat and refreshening it, garmin 5cv $200 i would have grabbed it if i had the coin
    Attached Images Attached Images

Gazza, like many you do it a little tuff. Why not buy the cheap bargains you see, be it a reel, a rod, a boat, a car, a fridge, a lounge chair, whatever, clean it up, get it in working order (without breaking the bank) then sell for a profit. Lots of people are doing it and making a reasonable dollar.

You may then increase your bank account and have money to but the quality things that you want.

My daughter’s partner does it. His latest was a car, paid $5000, polished it, cleaned inside to sparkling, painted tyres and sold it two weeks later for $6000

Buyer beware Gazza. A couple of years ago I tried to buy a Saragosa 20000 that a young fella listed, brand new in box, $250. I rang and organised to pick it up, 3hr drive to Sydney. When I asked if he could show me the receipt or write me one he disappeared pretty damn quick as did the add.

Hey Fish he likely sold it from under your feet cheap items on facebook fly out the door within an hour literally

I recently started getting rid of excess tools around the house a 2200watt generator for $70 was sold within 15mins i often take a blokes words when he says he'll take it, bloke picked it up the following morning

I haven't seen any more deals on facebook, there may be a few after christmas i guess tho, lots of people on facebook and gumtree subscribe to new listings that are in there tagged history so the minute something matches there tag the buyers get a notification

My $70 generator was sold to the first bloke that said he will take it i had an offer after it for $120 even tho it was listed for $70 but i hold my word and sold it to the first bloke

Lots of guys get the rug pulled out from under there feet with sales quiet a lot of sellers will leave u hanging untill u see the items been removed and sold they do this incase the first buyer falls thru they'll offer it to the next person

Quote Originally Posted by shakey55 View Post
    Gazza, like many you do it a little tuff. Why not buy the cheap bargains you see, be it a reel, a rod, a boat, a car, a fridge, a lounge chair, whatever, clean it up, get it in working order (without breaking the bank) then sell for a profit. Lots of people are doing it and making a reasonable dollar.

You may then increase your bank account and have money to but the quality things that you want.

My daughter’s partner does it. His latest was a car, paid $5000, polished it, cleaned inside to sparkling, painted tyres and sold it two weeks later for $6000

I think a lot of people are doing just that ....... & they will pitch a low price to make it even more profitable ..
    I've advertised stuff that was in extremely good nick at about 60% of the current replacement value - then someone comes along & offers half that ..... just to try it on .
    Those types give me the shits -
    Hell if I see a bargain - take it & run - I certainly dont try to beat the seller down further.

Mind you there are plenty of sellers who are asking near to the new price ...... 5-10% lower than the new price .

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    Hey Fish he likely sold it from under your feet cheap items on facebook fly out the door within an hour literally
    More likely stolen item.

Snagged this boat for $2500.

Ally Craft Avalon 395.
    Mercury 25hp sea pro (145psi as tested by me in both cyls). Part way through a self service. Just have to do the water pump for piece of mind.
    Motorguide 54lb cable steer. Works perfectly, just missing a bit of paint on the mount.
    Sounder in it has a busted transducer mount, but I replaced that with a lowrance hook2 7x triple shot that I snagged for $250

I'm pretty chuffed with it. Took it out on the weekend and had no problems at all.

Attachment 125144Attachment 125145