Thread: auto bilge pump

auto bilge pump

Bought a auto bilge pump all in one pump and it has 3 wires brown, brown white and black the brown has a plus tag on it ,im thinking the brown white is negative dose anyone know what the black is for or is that the negative i would have thought the black was negative, the instructions are not too clear,could the brown white be for a 3way switch on, off ,auto ?????.

I just thought it was a handy thing to have if camping out and it rains it can pump its self out, i don't like the float switches ive seen a few yachts sunk with them getting stuck on and flattening the battery.

Re: auto bilge pump

Thanks Shaky55 i did not think a on off auto switch was needed,so ill go get one.

I have the same pump, I have found now that it us about 5 years old it tends to hunt a bit, starts pumping, finds nothing then stops where as on installation only worked once a certain level of water was in the bilge. Could be my imagination or memory but in it's current state it could draw more from the batteries than it should. My problem is not much room to put a separate float switch in.

Quote Originally Posted by chris69 View Post
    Thanks Shaky55 i did not think a on off auto switch was needed,so ill go get one.
    Mine didn’t just auto and on , it was on auto when the battery was turned on and you could toggle for manual override . Matt
    A bad days fishing has got to be better than any day at work......

Here is two ways to switch it, an on/on two position switch, or an on/off/on three position switch, all achieves the same thing kind of.

Got a all in one pump less complicated i thought the wiring diagram with it did not show a 3ways switch so the extra wires were a bit confusing but with the 3 way switch diagram shaky put up it all make sence now.