Thread: Reel Service Time

Reel Service Time

How many on board rely on Yaya Tube or Schematics for servicing their Reels , make sure all pieces are accounted for n in correct order.
    I find some easy nuff n others I need guidance make sure the above n all pieces are accounted for.
    Last week or so have been slowly doing most my Reels and found some I did end guidance ey

Re: Reel Service Time

ppppppppppppppppppp

Quote Originally Posted by blacklab View Post
    I'll bite Volvo...
    I do all my own servicing, most of my reels are Modded up Penns that I use, So I know just about every inch of them.
    For the internationals, I found a good site where full services were really well illustrated, in fact there's a bloke there that does write ups on most brand reels, so you get a complete strip down, assessment and a put back together, with upgrades he would recommend. He's done everything from Stella's to cheaper shimano's, so a very good source of info when your even considering buying a particular brand reel, there's not many he hasn't reviewed.
    I still have notes and refer to his writings, the grey matter doesn't always retain and remember information as it used too anymore ..
    A couple of years back, I was one of the guinea pigs for concussion testing or it's long term effects, got another session coming up next year, So that's my go to excuse when I sit there with a stunned mullet look and can't remember drag spacing orders.
    Some good YaYa tube tutorials about, but a couple of reel sites I'm in go way more in depth and are a good reference point when serving your own reels...

Col
    Any chance of passing on such site as ive lost the Schematics for my Fin Nor primal 10HS and its the last on the list for pull apart n service and no Vids on Yaya Tube either

Ausfish Silver Member Ducksnutz's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Hey Volvo, if you google the name “Alan Tani” you’ll find plenty of links to his tutorials etc. He’s a guru and has done pretty much every reel out there.
    Matilda

Quote Originally Posted by Ducksnutz View Post
    Hey Volvo, if you google the name “Alan Tani” you’ll find plenty of links to his tutorials etc. He’s a guru and has done pretty much every reel out there.
    Appreciated Mate , pulled apart the last of my Reels for servicing today , the Fin Nor and although its working allright something just doesnt feel right in the drag Lever when it is set to freespool??.
    Put a part in backwards or whatever im not sure and need to make sure i did it correctly..
    Will suss it out , was all quite clean when pulled apart and could have left it wait but being fussy i needed to do it .

I am pretty good with things like this being a motor bike thinkerer, in general i have the worse memory ever but come to working with my hands im really good

When i first bought the second hand shimano TLD the drag was notchy and not silky smooth obviously someone had opened it up for whatever reasons (it was brand new in the box but second hand) i tore it apart and the drag washer was on reversed i flipped it around and bingo silky smooth drag also first ever overhead i pulled apart and i have only pulled a part a few reels in my life

Grabbed my shimano sienna out of the boat last night went to check the bearings they seem tight and greased but the whole reel feels worn i am thinking about servicing it but its only a 50 bux reel plenty of big fish caught on it that is probably why it feels shagged

Fifty buck Reel , Cost of gear would outweigh the need for servicing i would think Mate .
    Cheaper go buy a newy i would think ??.

Google Mikes Reel Repair for schematics.Try backing the drag cam off and see if your free spool improves.

Many Thanks Gang and did all of the above , to date i stripped the reel back down again and 95 3/4% i all parts went back in correctly and in place ?? feels okay 99% still not fully happy as hardly ever any nagging feelings after a strip a reel and service ..
    Anyhow have asked for a Schematic here n there for this Reel
    Fin Nor PR10HS it is (Lethal ) so hope something comes up..
    Its one of my Jewy Reels which has served its master well .
    That Alan Tani Site is worthy of registering i think with ample reading n help..

Thanks to Pure Fishing i now have my Schematic Ask n Ye Shall Recieve ..

Repaired, serviced, modified literally hundreds of reels over the years, with some pretty basic tools and some moderate mechanical skills, any reel is easy enough for the average person to service.

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    Repaired, serviced, modified literally hundreds of reels over the years, with some pretty basic tools and some moderate mechanical skills, any reel is easy enough for the average person to service.
    Yep your right except for some of us old farts who have short memories n ferget where parts go some of the time lol.
    Sooo need to lay them in order n hope your Grandkids or Missus diont bump the table , washers stick n come undone at the wrong time n ya think "Feck now herxactly in which order were they ??" lol.
    Yep most times all has gone well except when couple of things go astray an "Feck it all ,n chuck it in the bin " seeings the reel has outserved its purpose ..
    But most times all good especially with the favourite Toys ..
    Anyhoooos the Fin Nor is all in order again and caught me a nice whopper mangrove Jack today , make up for the angst it caused me ...

Video the stripdown of the reel - then you have a record of what you have done

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    Video the stripdown of the reel - then you have a record of what you have done

Chris
    Might have ta think about that one ?? n not such a bad idea at that ..