Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Braid for bottom fishing and choosing braid by diameter, not breaking strain

Braid for bottom fishing and choosing braid by diameter, not breaking strain

I guess braid is more intended for spinning a lure or plastics, or getting maximum casting distance. I wanted to use braid for bottom fishing, often off rocks and jetties, so I started thinking about what would work best, and have tried quite a few things. I thought I'd document where I am at, and let the experts shoot me down, or even just offer helpful suggestions.

I have decided I just do NOT like very fine braid. Everyone knows about wind knots, and they annoy the heck out me too. I also find tying braid knots on a windy day harder if the braid is very fine. You have turn your back to the wind like you are trying to light a cigarette. I have decided the minimum diameter braid I like is about 0.25mm, which means 20 or 30lb breaking strain. Now this is way more than is needed, but it is still thinner than 12lb mono, and I still get plenty on even a small reel. Also, I have taken to using 4 not 8 strand. I read that it can help cut through kelp and seaweed, and fishing on the bottom this can be a help. Being cheaper is fine by me too.

Just some details on the most common ways I fish...

I am using braid main line and a mono or flouro leader. The leader is sized to the type of fish I am targetting. This means it might well be less breaking strain than the main line at times.
    I usually join them with a swivel, and a running sinker above the swivel on the braid. A few times I have noticed just a little wear in the braid after a long session, but nothing very concerning. Usually it is caused by a sinker with a rough edge on the hole.
    other times I use a paternoster rig and tie that to the braid using a swivel. Have tried leaving the swivel out, but don't really need a long wind-on leader most times. Also have tried a 3-way swivel instead of tying a loop in the leader for the paternoster.

Re: Braid for bottom fishing and choosing braid by diameter, not breaking strain

16 years ago when braid hit the big market i changed over and tested some 20lb from ebay i loved it untill i got stuck into squid fishing than it was knot after not waating spool after spool than about 3-4 years ago i turned back to the cheap line as braid is just a shit line to use and tie knots in but when i switched back i noticed my catches increased hugely i put it down to fresh monofiliment line it nedds to be respooled a couple times a season as it goes a dull colour

Just the other day i was using some rovex 20lb yellow braid old stuff that has been on the reel a couple years i got a few bites here any there but no fish mean while my cousins were lulling in double headers i couldnt understand what i was doing wrong i thought maybe grease and oil on my hands from moving the trailer

But than i took off the rovex braid and spooled the reel with this javis walker monofiliment line which i very highly rate, bang within 20mins i caught 3 flathead

Than we went and done a quick squid session i borrowed my cousins rod with some fine pink braid looked to be 5-8lb line didnt get anything but wind tangles ahh the memories of thin braid!!!!! I swapped rods to my monofiliment javis walker rod, first cast a squid... second cast another squid... 10mins pass and i have 3 squid in the boat

But i lost the squid jig bugger!!

Braid is fine if u need meters on the spool but imo you cant go past basic old mono line, i actually have in the past live baited on 8lb monofiliment line 10lb leader for 60cm kingys 55cm salmon on a 1kg ebay rod and i land half of the fish

Monofiliment line is way under rated these days because everything on tv fishing shows is about how good braid is

The line pictured i swear by match the hatch i fish in green water so the green line works perfect, unsure about the leader just yet, but that line is a winner!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Braid for bottom fishing and choosing braid by diameter, not breaking strain

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    16 years ago when braid hit the big market i changed over and tested some 20lb from ebay i loved it untill i got stuck into squid fishing than it was knot after not waating spool after spool than about 3-4 years ago i turned back to the cheap line as braid is just a shit line to use and tie knots in but when i switched back i noticed my catches increased hugely i put it down to fresh monofiliment line it nedds to be respooled a couple times a season as it goes a dull colour

Just the other day i was using some rovex 20lb yellow braid old stuff that has been on the reel a couple years i got a few bites here any there but no fish mean while my cousins were lulling in double headers i couldnt understand what i was doing wrong i thought maybe grease and oil on my hands from moving the trailer

But than i took off the rovex braid and spooled the reel with this javis walker monofiliment line which i very highly rate, bang within 20mins i caught 3 flathead

Than we went and done a quick squid session i borrowed my cousins rod with some fine pink braid looked to be 5-8lb line didnt get anything but wind tangles ahh the memories of thin braid!!!!! I swapped rods to my monofiliment javis walker rod, first cast a squid... second cast another squid... 10mins pass and i have 3 squid in the boat

But i lost the squid jig bugger!!

Braid is fine if u need meters on the spool but imo you cant go past basic old mono line, i actually have in the past live baited on 8lb monofiliment line 10lb leader for 60cm kingys 55cm salmon on a 1kg ebay rod and i land half of the fish

Monofiliment line is way under rated these days because everything on tv fishing shows is about how good braid is

The line pictured i swear by match the hatch i fish in green water so the green line works perfect, unsure about the leader just yet, but that line is a winner!!

Thanks for your thoughts. I can't help thinking, as I read your reply, that another factor which MAY have had an effect, is line colour. A clear or dark green braid might have improved your catches in the same way as the clear or green mono did.

It's actually something that I have been considering myself. These hi-vis braid colours just might spook fish. I use a fairly long leader to help with this anyway. Then there's coloured mono as well. I just recently put some fairly bright yellow mono on my old Alvey reel. Not sure that was a good move, as it hasn't caught anything yet - but only one trip under it's belt just yet. I am using it for ganged hooks and a big bait in hopes of picking up something big off the pier.

with the exception of ultra fine line weights & game fishing ..... braid rules the roost

Anything to do with lure casting - braid should be the go to

Bait fishing ..... there is nothing better than feeling the bite through braid

If you are fishing a snaggy / rough terrain ..... just add a couple of meters of mono leader

The other thing to keep in mind with braid is the rod - you can go with a slower & softer rod as braid does not have the stretch of mono .

I don't have any reel spooled with mono ...... after 20 plus years of fishing with braid

BTw - there is braid & then there is rubbish sold under the label of braid ...... spend the money & you'll see what I mean

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by back2boats View Post
    Thanks for your thoughts. I can't help thinking, as I read your reply, that another factor which MAY have had an effect, is line colour. A clear or dark green braid might have improved your catches in the same way as the clear or green mono did.

It's actually something that I have been considering myself. These hi-vis braid colours just might spook fish. I use a fairly long leader to help with this anyway. Then there's coloured mono as well. I just recently put some fairly bright yellow mono on my old Alvey reel. Not sure that was a good move, as it hasn't caught anything yet - but only one trip under it's belt just yet. I am using it for ganged hooks and a big bait in hopes of picking up something big off the pier.
    Ultralight in gin clear water is the only time I would be thinking the likes of fluorocarbon ..... other than than that 2m of flurocarbon leader will be the answer .

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Ausfish Silver Member Ducksnutz's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Can’t imagine using mono as a mainline anymore other than for game fishing and even then braid plays a part for me in the backing to achieve more line on smaller reels.

As for tying knots in windy conditions whilst on the water, I use the FG Wizz gadget which is mounted on my bait board as well as having one on my rigging table at home.
    There are other knot tying tools that can help but these are affordable and simple to use.

https://www.fgwizz.com.au/
    Matilda

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    with the exception of ultra fine line weights & game fishing ..... braid rules the roost

Anything to do with lure casting - braid should be the go to

Bait fishing ..... there is nothing better than feeling the bite through braid

If you are fishing a snaggy / rough terrain ..... just add a couple of meters of mono leader

The other thing to keep in mind with braid is the rod - you can go with a slower & softer rod as braid does not have the stretch of braid .

I don't have any reel spooled with mono ...... after 20 plus years of fishing with braid

BTw - there is braid & then there is rubbish sold under the label of braid ...... spend the money & you'll see what I mean

Chris
    Good points.

and yes, I have discovered about using a softer rod. Works very well with braid.

Quote Originally Posted by Ducksnutz View Post
    Can’t imagine using mono as a mainline anymore other than for game fishing and even then braid plays a part for me in the backing to achieve more line on smaller reels.

As for tying knots in windy conditions whilst on the water, I use the FG Wizz gadget which is mounted on my bait board as well as having one on my rigging table at home.
    There are other knot tying tools that can help but these are affordable and simple to use.

https://www.fgwizz.com.au/
    Would you use braid on a sidecast reel, like the Alvey?

Also, that knot tying tool wouldn't work while balanced on rocks, or in the middle of a sandy beach - which is where I have the most trouble with wind

Ive been conveted to Braid some time now and really like the stuff BUT!!! Fishing out wide for Reds or Golden Grunter then Mono still rules the Roost far as im concerned due to the bit of stretch it has and doesnt pull the hook once you strike .
    At least most times for me that is , otheriwise yes , one can feel the smallest of bights and somewhat is happening at the hooking end of the bussiness ..
    In the Rivers for me then Braid all the way so far..

Blog Entries

Thumbs up Re: Braid for bottom fishing and choosing braid by diameter, not breaking strain

Would you use braid on a sidecast reel, like the Alvey?

Also, that knot tying tool wouldn't work while balanced on rocks, or in the middle of a sandy beach - which is where I have the most trouble with wind
    Wouldn’t use an Alvey. Never have and never will.

Probably wouldn’t fish in wind where I couldn’t tie a knot either…

Apologies, but your opening post never mentioned fishing from a sandy beach? Bottom fishing from a sandy beach is something I’m not familiar with.

As for knot tying tools, there are plenty of suitable such as the link below that work just as well especially where you are talking about.

If you can hold an Alvey set up, you can probably handle something like this in most scenarios.

https://www.anglerswarehouse.com.au/..._fg_tool_21237
    Matilda

Quote Originally Posted by Ducksnutz View Post

Apologies, but your opening post never mentioned fishing from a sandy beach? Bottom fishing from a sandy beach is something I’m not familiar with.
    No, true, I didn't mention beaches, but I did mention fishing from rocks and that presents the same problems. Thanks for pointing out the existance of knot tying tools. I might find something useful. Mostly I use uni-knots which normally don't require a jig.

Blog Entries

No, true, I didn't mention beaches, but I did mention fishing from rocks and that presents the same problems. Thanks for pointing out the existance of knot tying tools. I might find something useful. Mostly I use uni-knots which normally don't require a jig.
    Yep, The old Uni knot doesn’t require a tool and can be pretty much tied in anything short of cyclonic wind.
    Matilda

Knot tying tools can be handy for some but personally find them a pain in the butt when in need !!.
    Persevere n learn tying your knots by hand n practice various knots to use making it easier in passpoor weather.
    Eg; FG knots is my favourite knots for braid to leader but under various windy conditions I switch to the CT knot which some may say is similar in a way but easier to tie.
    Purchased the PR knot tying tool some time back used it maybe two , three times , near gained a black eye n now resides with all my other useless bits n pieces LOL.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Volvo View Post
    Knot tying tools can be handy for some but personally find them a pain in the butt when in need !!.
    Persevere n learn tying your knots by hand n practice various knots to use making it easier in passpoor weather.
    Eg; FG knots is my favourite knots for braid to leader but under various windy conditions I switch to the CT knot which some may say is similar in a way but easier to tie.
    Purchased the PR knot tying tool some time back used it maybe two , three times , near gained a black eye n now resides with all my other useless bits n pieces LOL.
    Agree with the PR knot tying tool. I like the FG WIZZ gizmo as it helps my old arthritic hands to complete the FG knot quickly and efficiently in pretty much any condition and any PE rating line from as light as PE 0.4 to PE 8.
    Matilda

Quote Originally Posted by Volvo View Post
    Ive been conveted to Braid some time now and really like the stuff BUT!!! Fishing out wide for Reds or Golden Grunter then Mono still rules the Roost far as im concerned due to the bit of stretch it has and doesnt pull the hook once you strike .
    At least most times for me that is , otheriwise yes , one can feel the smallest of bights and somewhat is happening at the hooking end of the bussiness ..
    In the Rivers for me then Braid all the way so far..
    I appreciate the idea.... however

In my hunt for an overhead rod for up north - I was looking for a longer rod & with a slower taper ....... These attributes take care of pulled hooks without allowing a fish to make it to cover by using the elongation of the mono. Depending on the line used you could be giving the fish a 2.5m advantage in every 10m of water due to line stretch . That's 10m when fishing 40m of water. I dont want to give a fish that kind of advantage. having experienced many kingfish being able to make it to cover by taking advantage of line stretch.
    Circle hooks also play a part when bait fishing .

Continuing with the theme of pulled hooks - rod technique also comes in play ...... bowing to a fish & changing rod angles also help to keep hooks in . I know I learned quite a bit in my barra fishing about keeping hooks in when using braid.

Just my thoughts & observations

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO