Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Braid for bottom fishing and choosing braid by diameter, not breaking strain

Re: Braid for bottom fishing and choosing braid by diameter, not breaking strain

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    I appreciate the idea.... however

In my hunt for an overhead rod for up north - I was looking for a longer rod & with a slower taper ....... These attributes take care of pulled hooks without allowing a fish to make it to cover by using the elongation of the mono. Depending on the line used you could be giving the fish a 2.5m advantage in every 10m of water due to line stretch . That's 10m when fishing 40m of water. I dont want to give a fish that kind of advantage. having experienced many kingfish being able to make it to cover by taking advantage of line stretch.
    Circle hooks also play a part when bait fishing .

Continuing with the theme of pulled hooks - rod technique also comes in play ...... bowing to a fish & changing rod angles also help to keep hooks in . I know I learned quite a bit in my barra fishing about keeping hooks in when using braid.

Just my thoughts & observations

Chris
    If thats what works for you Chris , fair nuff Mate , just what ive found over my years of Fishing up this way..

Re: Braid for bottom fishing and choosing braid by diameter, not breaking strain

Further read of your reply Mate gives way to a hopefully short re_reply .
    When i first started fishing our waters up this way , one of the Rods i would take out with me was an ugly Stick i built in Wollongong which now is more than 40 year old n still kicking.
    Was then 7ft ?something and a tad soft in the tip which was just right for Snapper down that way.
    Worked okay with lipper but found it a tad uncomfy for most other species so topped some six inches off it and coupled it up to an Abu 9000 and that then became the Magic Rod Combo for Lipper , Golden Grunter in deeper waters and offcours Spaniards.
    Always married with 30lb Mono and still sits on my Rod rack combo'd the same way.
    For Red Emperor !! No way as for me the mighty Red doesnt give up the ghost as easy as a Grunter might and needs something with a tad more beef in the tip end make it easier on the backbone( personal backbone that is) not the Rods .
    Once thought i made the perfect Red Emp Rod using a popular live fibre blank with a softer tip end , roughly in the 5'6 length and while the hookup rate increased dramatically so did the backbone discomfort.
    Mind you that Rod still works nicely for other species .
    Sooooooo the softer tip approach may work well in some feilds and not in others.
    Just a thought Mate .

Quote Originally Posted by Volvo View Post
    Further read of your reply Mate gives way to a hopefully short re_reply .
    When i first started fishing our waters up this way , one of the Rods i would take out with me was an ugly Stick i built in Wollongong which now is more than 40 year old n still kicking.
    Was then 7ft ?something and a tad soft in the tip which was just right for Snapper down that way.
    Worked okay with lipper but found it a tad uncomfy for most other species so topped some six inches off it and coupled it up to an Abu 9000 and that then became the Magic Rod Combo for Lipper , Golden Grunter in deeper waters and offcours Spaniards.
    Always married with 30lb Mono and still sits on my Rod rack combo'd the same way.
    For Red Emperor !! No way as for me the mighty Red doesnt give up the ghost as easy as a Grunter might and needs something with a tad more beef in the tip end make it easier on the backbone( personal backbone that is) not the Rods .
    Once thought i made the perfect Red Emp Rod using a popular live fibre blank with a softer tip end , roughly in the 5'6 length and while the hookup rate increased dramatically so did the backbone discomfort.
    Mind you that Rod still works nicely for other species .
    Sooooooo the softer tip approach may work well in some feilds and not in others.
    Just a thought Mate .
    Appreciated .
    btw - I'm not just talking about a softer tip ... I'm talking slower tapered rods (vs the trend of fast tapered) -

No doubt shorter rods will give you greater leverage in that straight up & down situation ..... but that stretch in the mono can be used to a fish's advantage as your line is just a big elastic band.

I'm totally conscience of pulled hooks & hence why I was pretty specific with the rod I wanted to buy (longer & slower tapered) .

All respect - there is no doubt that you know what you are doing & what works for you ....... I'm just putting a viewpoint forward that uses the characteristics of braid to it's advantage in combination with the rest of the system ie the rod .

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    Appreciated .
    btw - I'm not just talking about a softer tip ... I'm talking slower tapered rods (vs the trend of fast tapered) -

No doubt shorter rods will give you greater leverage in that straight up & down situation ..... but that stretch in the mono can be used to a fish's advantage as your line is just a big elastic band.

I'm totally conscience of pulled hooks & hence why I was pretty specific with the rod I wanted to buy (longer & slower tapered) .

All respect - there is no doubt that you know what you are doing & what works for you ....... I'm just putting a viewpoint forward that uses the characteristics of braid to it's advantage in combination with the rest of the system ie the rod .

Chris
    Good to see my original post has triggered some interesting discussion in related subjects. I have only recently discovered fishing with softer rods. Until now, my rods have been overly strong for fishing for things like bream and other esturary species.

I still have a few big sticks and love using them for small reefies when I get out. Also good for floating a balloon off a jetty for mackeral. However, for big reds, nothing beats 80lb mono hand line