Thread: Switch panel

Switch panel

So I originally installed one of these cheap 8 switch ebay hunk of junk switch panels 2 years back and already having issues...

Had a squiz at Narva but dont know whether they are much better as their main market seems to be 4wd and C'van applications and through emails they wont say commit that they are "splashproof"...

I know that some of you have gone with high end custom panels and know that Moose also does some fancy stuff but I cant afford to fund his retirement....

So what options am I left with..?

A couple that I have seen are these...anybody used them..?

Blue Sea 4308 Switch Panel 12V fused 8 position grey Marine Motorhome Caravan 632085043087 | eBay

BELL MARINE ELITE SLIMLINE MARINE 6 GANG W/SL STEEL ON/OFF SWCH VERTICAL 90112 | eBay

and whats the best way to fit into the existing cutout in the dash..?

Pic of the POS I have now below..

switch board1.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Switch panel

You may also want to have a look at Jaycar to see if they have something suitable - i thought that had an 8 switch one but unable to see it at the moment
    Search marine switch panels | Jaycar Electronics

pretty sure moose marine would have something fitfor purpose

most jaycar stuff i sown branded junk

I am yet to find a truly "water proof" switch panel. The one that comes close - the BEP contour range, can still be a problem though if it isn't sealed to the dash properly by taking extra steps at installation. Anything that uses Carling type switches only relys on the small amount of pressure imposed by the tiny plastic clips on a very thin gasket. Water will come around the switch itself and as with any panel, if you don't seal around the edges properly with silicone (don't use sika) it will get in there too. The next best I have found is the basic switch panel with 4 or 6 toggle switches with rubber boots - once again with silicone added to improve water resistance. The ones that have indicator LED's will leak around the LED's so if I know it will get wet, I don't use those. Gaskets on switch panels - get tossed in the bin. Even an alloy panel will distort and therefore not seal if you apply anywhere near enough pressure via the screws to make a gasket a viable long term seal. Plastic panels stand no chance - they will break the corners off.

I've had 2 blue sea ones in the last boat for 10 years and have 2 in my current rig and never had any problems, 1st boat was a centre console so they had some weather. I also run BlueSea thermal breakers with no issues to date. For me its been pretty good gear.
    Scott

Yeah the jaycar ones look a little cheap for my liking ..

Outstation, I've had blueseas fuse boxes before and now and have never had a problem either..they seem decent..

Scottar, are the rubber boot ones prone to perishing and if so can the boots themselves be replaced..?..didnt actually think of a bit of silicon to seal the actual switch panel to the dash..cheers.

Yep. Toggle switches and boots are available. The boots will harden and split over time if left out in the sun.

https://newwiremarine.com

I have used this company a couple of times, one of those for a custom panel to fit where I needed it. They have a range of standard pre-cut panels that are ready to go and very well priced. I used the Carling switches as the switches are not in a place that should get wet. Their turn around time was incredibly quick.

TMC

I have run a cheap water resistant plastic switch panel with rocker switches and sealed it with silicon into a pvc plastic electrics box. I Corrosion X'd the switches and built in cig lighter and USB connectors and have run that in some good and bad weather in an open tinnie for 4 years.

Cheers

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
    Boat: Seafarer Vagabond
    Live: Great South East....love Moreton Bay fishing

From my experiences - it's hard to go past Blue Seas . They are seriously good quality.

Having always owned console boats (side & center) I was forever having issues with switches till the penny dropped ..... & I started to go beyond the Jaycar / Narva etc & looked for proper marine switch / fuse panels .

Sure you'll pay 3 or 4 times more - However once installed I've never had an issue with them ..
    These days if I need a bus bar / fuse array or switches I'll go straight to Whitworths & buy the blue seas gear.

http://www.whitworths.com.au/blue-se...ion-fuse-panel.

If you end up with a cutout that is too big - A nice piece of carbon fiber panel looks pretty good as a surround for the new switches

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Most people just mount a switch panel....and ignore the moisture content behind.
    I mount my switch panels to an IP68 fibreglass enclosure and gland every cable.
    Also have about 4 silica crystal sachets inside as well.
    Why go to the bother of a waterproof panel when the moisture level is right up there behind the panel.
    Attachment 124911
    Jack.

We custom build a lot of our own panels. like newwire we also have an ip67 rated switch "the cost of wich is a little alarming to some people. especially compared to over the counter basic stuff" but yes we can produce some pretty amazing pieces of kit

our backlit panels for Veitch boats

Marine outfitting solutions
    www.moosemarine.com.au

Our IP67 sealed switches with silicon tinned cabling. 21amp

Marine outfitting solutions
    www.moosemarine.com.au

Most of the problems I have seen over my years playing with electricity and boats have been caused by water getting in through unsealed edges be they on switches, gauges, electronic displays etc. Airborne moisture will have an effect eventually but it takes a long time - decades from what I have experienced - even with non tinned cable. Actual salt water however can cause issues with single drop if placement is perfect. IP rated switches are a good thing but if the panel itself isn't sealed around the switches and into the dash and stuff like fuse modules and bussbars are mounted below them it is just as much of a problem.

I had two of these in the 8 switch model on alchemy for 11 years, and they never failed.

https://bla.com.au/product/bep-conto...switch-panels/