Thread: Daiwa Seaborg 1200mj versus Shimano 9000A - which one?

Ausfish New Member

Daiwa Seaborg 1200mj versus Shimano 9000A - which one?

I am sick of losing good reds to sharks and I have read that electric reels can improve the odds in favour of the fisherman.

The two reels I am trying decide between are the Seaborg 1200mj and Shimano 9000A. I cant seem to find any specs (eg retrieval speed) for the Shimano. Also I can''t find any specs for either reel that detail the power of the motor and their performance under various load conditions. So I am seeking real world experiences on the head to head performance of these two reels.

The most important feature I am chasing is the fastest retrieval speed for pulling up fish to 15kg in up to 140m of water. I may end up doing genuine deep drop stuff down the track but for the moment it's all about trying to stop the sharks eating big reds.

thanks

Re: Daiwa Seaborg 1200mj versus Shimano 9000A - which one?

Get yourself a good 80lb (Sneider ) handline on a yellow handspool , some nice fitting finger stalls and that should do the job nicely , Or else a good Daiwa Seaborg lol..
    Really if sharks are about in numbers doubt iether would be the magic bullet , far better off moving save wasting good Reds to Sharks..

My limited experience up on the reef with proper deep drop stuff and Daiwa electrics would tend to indicate that if the taxman want's it.............he will get it regardless. Then you end up connected to the taxman with much heavier gear than normal that isn't as easy to break off which can present it's own special sort of frustrations.

Ausfish New Member

That's disappointing to hear. I've been using alvey queen deck winches and if you wind like an absolute madman from the moment they are hooked (not a second delay) and you dont stop you can get a lot more up than you lose but its bloody hard work and sometimes with the larger reds it ends up a stalemate for a few seconds and bang - all over. But if you can keep them coming up at warp speed they work reasonably well. But as you say when a shark wins the day it's a whole new level of pain as the circle hooks generally get them in the jaw so they often don't cut the line.

I have read on other threads that electrics are definitely a step up from the alvey but as I have not personally used one I don't know if its a waste of $2500. I'm just sick to death of moving and moving and moving and moving and some trips you barely find a spot where you can get half an hour before the sharks show up.

I suspect you would be quicker going hard on a winch than a rod mounted reel. Something like a Lonestar system on 24 volts at 200 metres per minute (which I suspect would be unloaded) is getting up there and may be an advantage but it's still well slower than a determined bitey and they aren't exactly cheap. We were using Profisher winches from Deep drop commercial in about 170 metres but once the sharks got the first fish it was still all over. They would come and sit under the boat and as a retrieved line was coming up they would sound and meet it. Dead set PITA.

I've got Shimano 9000 which definitely gets the the odd fish up before the grey mongrels get them but you will never outrun them. What it can do is keep the propeller headed upwards, if the fish aren't too big, which doesn't give the fish the chance to start all that fighting and vibrating nonsense that the sharks home in on. Never going to beat them. I did have a win once by lowering my Shark Shield diving deterrent down alongside a bait when every fish was being taxed and landed the next trout untouched by lifting the SS up as the fish was wound up. Not a conclusive experiment but it did work that day. I'd already hidden the knives because my mate was getting that murderous look in his eye that said someone or something was about to die.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Ausfish New Member

Thanks for your responses. Just makes me hate sharks even more. There's a massive opportunity if someone can invent a solution to this problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Moray View Post
    Thanks for your responses. Just makes me hate sharks even more. There's a massive opportunity if someone can invent a solution to this problem.
    Maybe try one of these https://tackleworldkawanafishingstor...4aAghgEALw_wcB
    A bad days fishing has got to be better than any day at work......

All you need is 400hp and missus who's good on the throttles

Ausfish New Member

That's hilarious. Surprising the hooks dont pull given the boat is going at a decent speed.