Thread: Weekend at Hinchinbrook and the Palm islands..

Weekend at Hinchinbrook and the Palm islands..

Went for a spin last friday out from Cardwell to Macushla in Missionary Bay on the North end of Hinchi.

Set up in a bait funnelling area with some poddies for an evening session on the falling tide for a Barra in a never miss spot....

You guessed it ..nothing but vermin..sharks and barracuda..

Called it a night and anchored up far enough out in the bay to escape the midgies ...

Next morning we zipped around to Eva island and had a quick troll ...found some bait action and Ann got her first ever Queenie which did the typical leaps..
    Next pass I got a small Spanish and then Ann hooked up to a high- jumping huge Barracuda which was safely released beside the boat..

The real purpose of the trip was a snorkelling and exploring expedition for the missus so we headed about 40km's south to the Palm islands, first of which is Pelorus Island , due east of Lucinda...Found some really amazing snorkelling there..some of the best fringing reef we have dived up here on the very northern tip which drops off quickly to a 40m deep channel with a good current flowing ..I saw 2 trolling boats hook up to Spanish less then 100m away from where we were snorkelling...lots of Sharks, some rays, turtles and lots of fish life in general..

We spent the rest of the day just snorkelling our way down to Yanks Jetty on the southern end of Orpheus island where we spent the 2nd night..

Next day we snorkelled at some spots on the way back up the islands including the amazing giant clam gardens in Hazard bay..

Roughly a 90km trip from Orpheous back around Hinchi to Cardwell in glassy condition by 3PM and home by 4..

Couldnt ask for better weather and water was a nice 27c...

I usually do full on fishing trips so it was nice to have a trip where the fishing was secondary and see the missus revel in the underwater world..

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ann queenie.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	55.7 KB 
ID:	124866Click image for larger version. 

Name:	scott spanish.jpg 
Size:	50.0 KB 
ID:	124867Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pelorus.jpg 
Size:	51.5 KB 
ID:	124868Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ann clam.jpg 
Size:	43.5 KB 
ID:	124869Click image for larger version. 

Name:	scott and fish.jpg 
Size:	66.9 KB 
ID:	124870Click image for larger version. 

Name:	white tip.jpg 
Size:	73.0 KB 
ID:	124871Click image for larger version. 

Name:	stingray 1.jpg 
Size:	45.4 KB 
ID:	124872Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nice coral pelorus.jpg 
Size:	102.1 KB 
ID:	124873Click image for larger version. 

Name:	more nice coral pelorus.jpg 
Size:	99.5 KB 
ID:	124874Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fishies.jpg 
Size:	71.7 KB 
ID:	124875Click image for larger version. 

Name:	yanks.jpg 
Size:	74.2 KB 
ID:	124876Click image for larger version. 

Name:	turtle.jpg 
Size:	29.6 KB 
ID:	124877

Ausfish Silver Member Ducksnutz's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: Weekend at Hinchinbrook and the Palm islands..

Great report and great photos! Thanks for sharing mate.
    Matilda

Very noice ...... love that part of the world .

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Living the dream.

Great read & pics, thanks.

Another top report from our FNQ correspondent. 😁😁

I’ve spent many nights anchored at Pelorous before a run out to the reef, and quite a few hanging around Orpheus. One arvo with an afternoon high tide we backed Alchemy in to the beach, swam, drank beer and rum. I couldn’t be bothered moving out to deeper water and decided she’ll be right. Well, that night was a particularly low tide and we bounced on the coral, which flattened the rear section of keel cap. Good thing Alchemy was a platey!

I love that whole Hinchinbrook region. Probably my favourite part of the Queensland coast.

Quote Originally Posted by Ducksnutz View Post
    Great report and great photos! Thanks for sharing mate.
    No probs dude..

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    Very noice ...... love that part of the world .

Chris
    Apart from the obscene beauty and warm tropical winters and water, not many places have quite the array of fishing options in close proximity, depending on the weather and winds either...

Quote Originally Posted by Dignity View Post
    Living the dream.
    Got to Sam...could be all over tomorrow mate..

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Ehsman View Post
    Great read & pics, thanks.
    no worries..

Quote Originally Posted by seastrength View Post
    Another top report from our FNQ correspondent. 
    Of course and oh, I have been really enjoying the CQ lake series...hopefully next series includes a few more Barra caught though...

Quote Originally Posted by Alchemy View Post
    I’ve spent many nights anchored at Pelorous before a run out to the reef, and quite a few hanging around Orpheus. One arvo with an afternoon high tide we backed Alchemy in to the beach, swam, drank beer and rum. I couldn’t be bothered moving out to deeper water and decided she’ll be right. Well, that night was a particularly low tide and we bounced on the coral, which flattened the rear section of keel cap. Good thing Alchemy was a platey!

I love that whole Hinchinbrook region. Probably my favourite part of the Queensland coast.
    Ah Dave..it sounds like you are actually missing those old carefree days living it up in the "ville.....and yeah platey's do rule up here if you want to make the most of what the place has to offer because you know its going to get banged up on a rocky, corally beach sometimes or hitting a rockbar in the Hinchinbrook creek mouths.....are we going to see that new beast of yours island hopping up here any time soon..?

Quote Originally Posted by disorderly View Post

Ah Dave..it sounds like you are actually missing those old carefree days living it up in the "ville.....and yeah platey's do rule up here if you want to make the most of what the place has to offer because you know its going to get banged up on a rocky, corally beach sometimes or hitting a rockbar in the Hinchinbrook creek mouths.....are we going to see that new beast of yours island hopping up here any time soon..?
    Yep, I really do miss the NQ life. I get to Townsville a bit for work and every time I come back to Brisbane hatching a plan to take the family back up north. I was actually supposed to be up there fishing the reef with amate this past weekend, but had to pull out. A shame as he bagged out on trout and five nice Spanish plus a few bits and pieces. I doubt I’ll get the new boat up there anytime soon, as I’m limited by annual leave. I reckon the southern GBR is doable over a two to three week period though, so hopefully I can do that late next year. If all goes to plan, then my long term plan is to move back in roughly three years time. It would be awesome for my boys to grow up fishing and exploring that hinchinbrook area and reefs.

Yep - I've done a few trips to Lucinda & Cardwell purely because of the fishing options - Even in shitty winds you could punch over to the Palm islands & get some fishing in ...... or go up the channel & fish there ..... plus you have the river . Options are so important when you tow your boat 2300km each way.

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Aaaagh! I knew I shouldn't have opened this thread. Now I'm greener than ever with envy. Great trip mate. Happy wife, happy life. Should be getting home right now from my usual October road trip. Nup, thanks Ana. Us allegedly diseased southerners haven't been able to get there for 2 years now. Been great weather as usual for the last 5 weeks. Any upgrades to Yanks since they spent some dollars on it?

Alchemy, I hope the plan works out for you...

Its a great place to raise kids up here..regular little bushies a lot of them..For school science my boy stayed over at the research centre on Orpheous one time, where they had to complete a basic reef- based project.

With school he also did the 3 day Thorsborne trail hike on Hinchi....

and not like you really missed out on the weekend anyway..ocean conditions were terrible....

Name:	Zoe.jpg 
Size:	70.3 KB 
ID:	124900

Fishtragic....next year mate, things will be back to as normal as we can have it..and a pic of Yanks now ..lovely spot for a sunset beer...

Name:	yanks jetty.jpg 
Size:	82.9 KB 
ID:	124901