Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Talica Vs Speedmaster

Talica Vs Speedmaster

Hey All

To go with my great overhead holy grail hunt (7ft , 40lb , long butt) I'm going to be also in the hunt for a reel to go with it

I'll be using 40lb Tasline (likely) ... maybe 50lb

The front runner is the Shimano Talica 12 .... It has 18kgs of drag (lever drag) , good line capacity & is a well made reel by all accounts ..... it should be for $600 ish

What about the Shimano Speed master 12 .... It also has 18kgs of drag (lever drag) etc ...... but it does appear to be a lighter reel - but some $200 less

How would the two reels compare side by side in that heavier bait fishing scenario .

I'm a bit surprised that the Talica is 85 grams lighter

Anyhoos , I 'm keen to hear your comments on both reels . as I've no experience with either ......

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Re: Talica Vs Speedmaster

I have a 2 speed Talica and I think it is great. The 18kg drag is why I have it. Probably wouldn't get a 2 speed again only seem to use the low speed when attached to sharks. I fish with in in Queensland so that is a tick for your plan.

No experience with the Speedmaster

Matt

Both Shimano , both look the goods , why not go which one saves you more $$..

Quote Originally Posted by Volvo View Post
    Both Shimano , both look the goods , why not go which one saves you more $$..
    There has to be a reason for the price difference - you would think . I know the talica is a good reel

I didn't mention it but the Daiwa Saltiga LDs would be in the mix too ...... pricing a bit above the Talica.

I dont really mind paying the coin knowing that you may have this reel for the next decade or so ..... but then I have to weigh up how often will this outfit be used .

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    There has to be a reason for the price difference - you would think .

Bearings. Drag material Shiny gold bits

Love my Talica's - 2 x 12's, 1 x 10, 1 x 8 all single speed.

Had Talica's for years, mainly 2 speeds. They still require servicing to maintain there reliability, currently runing ceramic bearing for improved performance
    Garry

Retired Honda Master Tech

Quote Originally Posted by shortthenlong View Post
    Bearings. Drag material Shiny gold bits
    Painted rather than machined finish - more use of plastic (lever drag) as some of the others

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Where do you guys get your Shimano bearings and spares from..?

Painted rather than machined finish - more use of plastic (lever drag) as some of the others

Chris
    No feedback on the Speedmaster it seems. Do you have a local store where you can go run your hands over both? Is there stock of both available in the timeframe you are looking at? I know just picking one up in a shop isn't the same as using it but sometimes you just get a vibe.

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by shortthenlong View Post
    No feedback on the Speedmaster it seems. Do you have a local store where you can go run your hands over both? Is there stock of both available in the timeframe you are looking at? I know just picking one up in a shop isn't the same as using it but sometimes you just get a vibe.

Matt
    Hi Matt

I wont be purchasing anything without me attaching it to the rod that I intend to use - particularly an outfit like this . The balance need to be right.

I'm keen to see the Daiwa offerings alongside the Talica & Speedmaster - so once the rod is sorted I'll head to Otto's & check them all out on the rod . Luckily I've got some time up my sleeve

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Ended up with a Talica 16 & putting it on a Shimano Anthem 30-50lb .

The Talica 16 felt like the bast match .

While I'm a Daiwa fanboy - the new Saltiga OH is a beast of a reel but more suited to game fishing & didn't balance with the outfit .

The extra couple of hundred for the Talica over the Speedmaster is money well spent IMO - it just feels a more substantial reel.

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Ended up with a Talica 16 & putting it on a Shimano Anthem 30-50lb .

The Talica 16 felt like the bast match .

While I'm a Daiwa fanboy - the new Saltiga OH is a beast of a reel but more suited to game fishing & didn't balance with the outfit .

The extra couple of hundred for the Talica over the Speedmaster is money well spent IMO - it just feels a more substantial reel.

Chris
    Sounds good get one of these as a backup hahaha
    A bad days fishing has got to be better than any day at work......

Quote Originally Posted by bluefin59 View Post
    Sounds good get one of these as a backup hahaha
    ....... never been a fan of a handline - I think I moved on from them when I was a kid

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Ausfish Silver Member Ducksnutz's Avatar
    Blog Entries

It’s really all you need up North Queensland Chris. I have a mate who is licensed for commercial coral trout and hand lines are all he uses out of his 5 metre Hooker dory. Bit of electrical tape around his fingers and good to go.
    Matilda