Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jigging

Jigging

Whos into Jigging , jigging mind you not Jig jig lol.
    Worth the $$ for Rod, Reel n Jigs ??, good as they make it to be on Yayatube ??.
    Purchased few jigs give it try next time im out but thought ide ask ??.
    Mainly been a fresh bait or live bait fisho mostly.

Re: Jigging

Volvo, i'll tell you in a few trips time. Just put the first slow pitch setup into the rack and few jigs in the box to get started. One of my regular fishing mates is right into it and does well, this has flowed on to my little fella so now i've got one more fishing rod!! Looking forward to giving it a crack up of breaksea in a couple of weeks. The purpose built slow jig gear is along way different from all my other regular offshore bait and spin gear so for me i recon it was worth putting to the kit together. Went with Diawa Spartan stuff. Still cant get uses to a rod that bends like this and is thinner then my little finger!!
    Scott

Nothing works like paid advertising TV shows and YouTube videos, jigging can be productive and hard work at times too.

Like any form of fishing artificial s - it's about perseverance . It takes time to work out a technique that works for you ...... rip & burn or a slow lift - combinations of the two - that will also depend on the type of jigs used & the water depth ....... then we have your target species .
    Actually take a step back .

What is your motivation ?

What do you want to catch ?
    How deep do you want to fish ?

That will go a long way in determining the outfit & the jig types ........ how many $$$$$ are you willing to throw at it ?

I've spent a reasonable bit of coin setting up a micro jig outfit - for shallow water Snapper , Then there is a medium spin outfit to fish butterfly jigs in deeper water for a range of species right up & down the coast - then there is a heavier spin & overhead out fit to fish deeper waters with knife jigs for Kings down south & those reefs & bommies up North.
    You know what - It's pretty rare for me to choose at the start of the day to go jigging ...... not unless I'm up in Qld

I've got the gear but have found that fishing plastics is more productive & not as taxing on the body ....... then there is my love of fishing shallow as opposed to deep .

Yeh those Toutube vids are pretty cool - except that the time fished for those fish often runs into many hours

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

OutStaion and Nagg , yep walked into BCF and come up Trumps Pricewise re a JIgStick few light jigs from up Rocky today and making some assist hooks to add to the jigs and will in time give it a bash also as im about to step into it for the first time also.
    No big loss if id doesnt pan out as can use the Rod for other fishing im sure locally and open to any and all advice thrown my way..
    never too old to start learning something New ey..

Blog Entries

Must admit I do enjoy the jiggly jig

Ausfish Silver Member Ducksnutz's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Jigging is second to topwater lure fishing for me. Haven’t used bait in probably 5 years. I’m a realist though, live bait will out fish artificial’s in certain conditions but the challenge is incredibly addictive… all in my humble opinion.
    Matilda

Quote Originally Posted by Ducksnutz View Post
    Jigging is second to topwater lure fishing for me. Haven’t used bait in probably 5 years. I’m a realist though, live bait will out fish artificial’s in certain conditions but the challenge is incredibly addictive… all in my humble opinion.
    It's funny ..... so many people have moved away from bait & here I am going back to it .

that said - I will always have a jig & placcy set up at the ready . Fishing central / NQ certainly does offer some great opportunities to fish jigs though .

Gotta love fishing & the various techniques

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Always finish a day deep deep dropping with a session of fast jigging to wash away the guilt of using an electricAttachment 124826
    Mercury 115ct going strong😁

Don't be afraid to "hybridise" lures. Kabura sliders In particular have formed a staple part of our fishing arsenal over the last couple of years. Adding the smallest sliver of mullet to the back end has at times made them a somewhat deadly technique accounting for 80% of the bag on some days.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtyfuzz View Post
    Always finish a day deep deep dropping with a session of fast jigging to wash away the guilt of using an electricAttachment 124826
    Yeah..............nah we use beer for that.😂

Quote Originally Posted by scottar View Post
    Yeah..............nah we use beer for that.
    We use the beer to numb the pain from fast jigging kingies in 150m
    Mercury 115ct going strong😁

Hey Vol what kind of jigging will you be doing? When i read this post the other day what came to mind was those big 300-400gram jigs with a heavy overhead reel/rid but i have just come across "micro jigging" 20gram 30gram jigs and im quiet intreged, i always thought jigging was the hard yards i could never see my self hold a 1kg reel + a rod with a 400gram jig on the end jigging it im a lazy fisherman

But going a light outfit, light jig, light work? I have been looking at Nomads micro jigs tonight and they look pretty cool they say there for pelagics but can u use them for say flat head, flounder, inshore snappers on those days outside is to rough?

Yep lighter jigs as you mention.
    Novice at it so will be trial n error .
    But others can do it , so can i (think ) .

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    Hey Vol what kind of jigging will you be doing? When i read this post the other day what came to mind was those big 300-400gram jigs with a heavy overhead reel/rid but i have just come across "micro jigging" 20gram 30gram jigs and im quiet intreged, i always thought jigging was the hard yards i could never see my self hold a 1kg reel + a rod with a 400gram jig on the end jigging it im a lazy fisherman

But going a light outfit, light jig, light work? I have been looking at Nomads micro jigs tonight and they look pretty cool they say there for pelagics but can u use them for say flat head, flounder, inshore snappers on those days outside is to rough?
    Slow pitch fishing uses the micro jigs & can be used for a raft of species - Yes - Flathead love them .

I use them for snapper mainly . .... with jew & kingfish on the cards .

You can use them on a traditional outfit - but it is worth looking at a rod designed for slow pitch fishing ( overhead or spin) - you'll see the design & action is quite different from a normal spin or overhead rod. Additionally to get the most out of the jigs - rods are typically pretty specific on the jig weights recommended.

I tend to use the micro jigs later in the day when I've moved out of the shallows (bait fishing for snapper ) so I really dont know how effective they can be in 10-20m - but I reckon they would if you were drifting along over a reef or shoal .

The nice thing about slow pitch fishing is that it is a passive form of fishing - with very little fast rod work & a more lift & drop technique ...... fish will hit them deadsticked.

Typically you pay $10 per jig (average) ...... which is ok ( till you start losing them to toads etc )

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO