Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Jigging

Re: Jigging

I just bought a Spartan 2-3 pe for jigging and won this lot and a new pair of spotters the other day , can’t wait to get out and try the inkvaders out and the jigs .
    A bad days fishing has got to be better than any day at work......

Ausfish Silver Member Ducksnutz's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I think there’s a misconception on the physical aspect of jigging. Yes it can be hard work with the heavier jigs in deeper waters but I’ve had plenty of success with the jig just on the initial drop down so there’s not to much effort required.

Throwing large cup faced poppers on the other hand and I’m spent after an hour….
    Matilda

Quote Originally Posted by Ducksnutz View Post
    I think there’s a misconception on the physical aspect of jigging. Yes it can be hard work with the heavier jigs in deeper waters but I’ve had plenty of success with the jig just on the initial drop down so there’s not to much effort required.

Throwing large cup faced poppers on the other hand and I’m spent after an hour….
    The slow working jigs are the go for me now ,we used to work big knife jigs for kings years ago and as for big poppers for big GTs that out now as my back is way ordinary. I have been using an egrell s10 with my 4500 saltiga for 15 years now but have been finding it trying on a big day on a charter boat and off shore due to a short butt hence the change to the Spartan with a longer butt so I can get it up under my armpit properly, I’m heading out with it Friday next week depending on weather . Can’t wait to try it out as it feels tippy and seems to have a heap of strength down low , I will follow up next week . At 63 I’m starting to feel the big days so hopefully the new rod and some new slowly worked jigs will get me bringing home the goods . Matt
    A bad days fishing has got to be better than any day at work......

Yeah i may give them a try i was looking at the Nomads brand but still unsure which brands and colours are preffered i seen one web site sold out of the pink type so that may be an indication

I dont mind there cost $10-$15 so long as there not very snaggy on reefs and u lose heaps of them

I think a little 20g 30g would work perfect in one of my locations 20 meters of water for the bigger lurking king fish that are shy

These are the two im going to order and give a go, trolling pink, red, orange lures usually go crackers, squidding pink, orange usually gsts us squid so im going on that idea with the colour of the micro jigs
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ducksnutz View Post

Totally different techniques between deep jigging & slow pitch - Aside from the size the shape of the jig being the clue on how to fish each type .
    Butterfly jigs are nice & easy to fish - certainly not taxing on the body but highly effective on so many species . ..... certainly worth giving them a go

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    Totally different techniques between deep jigging & slow pitch - Aside from the size the shape of the jig being the clue on how to fish each type .
    Butterfly jigs are nice & easy to fish - certainly not taxing on the body but highly effective on so many species . ..... certainly worth giving them a go

Chris
    Yep, and plenty of success can be had in all techniques with the initial drop. Not taxing when they’re on. Sounder plays a big part as well in my humble opinion.
    Matilda

Will also order a Shimano Baku Baku

Looking back at my picture of my fish finder i was fishing in 7 meters at 8knots drift speed what aize shamino baku baku weight would u guys recommend? 40grams 60, 80?

Blog Entries

I wouldn’t jig in those depths or currents. Better luck bouncing a soft plastic with the least amount of weight possible. All in my humble opinion of course.

I normally don’t look at jigging in anything less than 20 metres.
    Matilda

Hey Ducks i have tried SP fishing and i caught fish but i can never work out the head weight size to where im fishing.. these slow jigs by Daiwa and Shimano come in only 4 sizes so picking the right size is a bit easier, you also dont jig them u just hit the bottom and slowly reel them up than drop again of couse in the strike zone

Blog Entries

The lightest weight you’ve suggested for jigs is 40 grams. In 7 metres of water I couldn’t suggest any jig to suit. In regards to soft plastics use the lightest possible jig head that just bounces across the seabed in the current you’ve suggested. 40 grams in 7 metres of water is something I’m not accustomed to. Good luck with it all.
    Matilda

I generally work on 1 gram per meter.
    Gaz, are you talking about vibes by any chance?

Half oz jig head should be about right for that you reckon?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gunna View Post
    Half oz jig head should be about right for that you reckon?
    I’d personally go lighter. Again though with the current Gazza is fishing in would warrant a weight you’ve suggested.
    Matilda