Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Overhead rod suggestions

Overhead rod suggestions

OK legends - here is the deal & maybe a few of you Qlders can help me with .

I'm after a rod recommendation for bait fishing the NQ reefs / bommies - The brief is

* Over head
    * 6'8" - 7'
    * 40-50lb braid
    * Relatively high winch mount (50cm) - Tuck under the armpit for straight up & down fighting.
    * Medium - slow taper
    *full or split grip

Does anyone know of such an animal - This is the kind of rod you would use for Nannies , reds , trout etc .
    I cant find anything like it down here but expect that there would be options up Qld way.

Look forward to your thoughts -

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Re: Overhead rod suggestions

Would a swim bait rod work ? Most of the heavy ones meets all those criteria

Quote Originally Posted by stevej View Post
    Would a swim bait rod work ? Most of the heavy ones meets all those criteria
    No not really as they are pretty limited to the reel that can be used ie 200 or 400 calcutta etc - I'll be looking at a small lever drag reel

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Ok np was just an idea as met all other criteria
    I’ve got a miller ambush and it’s a tough rod. Also a swim freak power and a venom 60 pound which is also a brute
    also some blade n tails 40-60 pounds for son/ mates to use.

ppppppppppppppp

Quote Originally Posted by blacklab View Post
    Chris, have you considered getting one custom made ??
    Try this bloke J D custom rods, he's here in Victoria and I can confirm he makes some great rods ( no connection ).
    I'm currently working with him for a couple of my Vintage Modded up reels, he has an amazing varirty and considering, his pricing is pretty good.
    Sends all over Aussie...

Col
    Thanks Col

Yeh , absolutely would consider getting a rod built if there was nothing that fits my brief . I've reached out here because there would be fishoes using these style of rods for baitfishing on the reefs & shoals .

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Nag, maybe one of the slow pitch jig sticks in a heavier PE rating, say 5 or 6. Plenty in that 6 foot and bit range and typical slower jig tapers.
    Scott

Quote Originally Posted by stevej View Post
    Ok np was just an idea as met all other criteria
    I’ve got a miller ambush and it’s a tough rod. Also a swim freak power and a venom 60 pound which is also a brute
    also some blade n tails 40-60 pounds for son/ mates to use.
    As I mentioned - the reel seat is the problem .... the larger foot of a 12 size overhead wont fit. It would also be badly balanced .
    I actually had a Lucky craft swimbait rod that I had for barra fishing & I did try it with a 400 Calcutta for Snapper fishing when I was living in Brisbane ...... it worked - kinda. I ended up giving t away to a mate for his cod fishing.

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Has anyone used or own a Venom RLFV19 ? I do remember seeing this rod on a visit to MOs & it looked like a bit of a weapon .... Heavy looking.

Does anyone know the butt section length ?

I reckon this rod would be quite typical for fishing baits up NQ

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    Has anyone used or own a Venom RLFV19 ? I do remember seeing this rod on a visit to MOs & it looked like a bit of a weapon .... Heavy looking.

Chris
    Mine is 290 mm from butt to end of first grip, 370 to where the insert begins for the reel (the furthest from the butt). I run a Tyrnos 16 on mine and find it more than adequate for most big beasts.

Cheers

Sam

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post

Chris
    I was looking at a Venom for my saltiga but have been directed towards a DAIWA Spartan for what I need long term . Matt
    A bad days fishing has got to be better than any day at work......

Quote Originally Posted by Dignity View Post
    Mine is 290 mm from butt to end of first grip, 370 to where the insert begins for the reel (the furthest from the butt). I run a Tyrnos 16 on mine and find it more than adequate for most big beasts.

Cheers

Sam
    Thanks Sam

If you wouldn't mind - what is the length to the center line of the reel seat from the butt ( the middle of the spool of the reel)

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Chris, I will measure tomorrow now as away ATM, also my reel is of being serviced also so would only be an estimate.

Chris, I will measure tomorrow now as away ATM, also my reel is of being serviced also so would only be an estimate.
    Mucho gracias

chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Dont bother Sam

BCF Wetherill Park had one in stock so I went for a drive to have a look - Nah it's not for me ...... too short in the butt section - it's been totally designed around fishing it in a gimble belt . ..... Shame - I would try it out .... go for a walk for 15 mins , then have another play ..... did that 4 times but nah just didn't feel right & even worst when we tried a reel on it .

Oh well .... the search continues.

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO