Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: keep killing my lead acid 40ah battery

Re: keep killing my lead acid 40ah battery

3 New batteries they were a bit dusty
    Attached Images Attached Images

$30 batteries for marine use?
    Definitely spend your savings on a 1/2/Both switch as Ranmar suggests.
    I did and it didn't cost much for piece of mind - and I had 2 marine batteries.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Ausfish Platinum Member

That's good, but bear in mind that a failure of one will quite possibly take the other down with it, for the reasons I gave.

You blokes are so patient.

I will try find how ro wire in a 1-2-both-off switch

Quote Originally Posted by TheRealPoMo View Post
    $30 batteries for marine use?
    Definitely spend your savings on a 1/2/Both switch as Ranmar suggests.
    I did and it didn't cost much for piece of mind - and I had 2 marine batteries.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    Spend the money you saved buying one single decent battery

Matt

These batterys are quiet decent that battery i bought 9+ months ago i have flogged it with the trailer mover down to 47% life a few times, i recharged it 3 or so days ago it has been sitting and i installed it in the boat today and the engine fired up straight away

The dual battery or parallel battery was more of a safety thing its good knowing i have the capacity, my two batteries are 760cca 90ah for $60 if i were to purchase a century marine 780 they are $280, i can technically replace both my batteries 4 times over and still come out cheaper thats also 4 years battery warranty

I watched some videos on youtube how to wire up the 1,2,both,none battery switch i watched dangar marine and got tottally lost in him talking but i can read his diagram

Did you cop that storm yesterday? Looked pretty bad on the news, we just missed it down here, it came up but turned and went towards western Sydney.

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    Did you cop that storm yesterday? Looked pretty bad on the news, we just missed it down here, it came up but turned and went towards western Sydney.
    It missed Mount Annan

Shakey - If only I lived near the coast

Looks like Mount Druit area copped it big time, we got lightning, Black/green clouds, bad NE wind, strong enough to blow ocean spray on to my house, 10 spots of rain then nothing.

Gaz

I know that these batteries are working for now - It starts your boat
    but what happens down the track when you are actually using the boat ?

Car batteries are not designed to take the pounding of boating ........ the lead plates are not as heavy & you have more of them making it easier to drop cells .

My own experiences in my earlier boat ownership were full of replacing batteries every other year ..... two at a time . I simply had no idea that car batteries & marine batteries are not really interchangeable . It wasn't till I bought my second boat which was being fitted with a electric motor did I actually learn about batteries - the various types etc .

Everyone here is trying to help you ..... & most of us can see the looming issues once you get to use that boat .

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

A marine pro 780 is only 209 at annaconda atm and almost always on special somewhere
    A proper marine battery that can handle some cycling for electronics

you would be mad to go the way you have and that’s why people are replying
    so if anyone else reads this in the future they don’t do the same thing

Steve i have ran out of money i just spent $200 on fuel hoses and hose clamps!! Im now broke couldnt even fill up the boats tank $90..

Boat ownership isn't cheap - specially one for offshore fishing ..... yeh you can split costs with your deckies for a day outs fishing but upkeep , insurances , registrations can be a couple of grand a year alone. ..... $40 ish a week

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Yeah it has just piled up on me the trailer rego cost about $500 for blue slip, plate and vin stap fee than rego, than i was gob smacked at the fuel hose cost i had to buy 5 meters of 10mm hose that was discounted that still cost $94 plus hose clamps and a tiny 40cm of 16mm hose that bill came to $144 than i went back to get 1.5 meters of 10mm hose and some hose clamps that sunk me another $44

Today it was take tge boat in to get the dealer to read the codes which would have cost $200+ or get the vessel view at $500 i had to borrow money just to buy it

The boat has completely drained me financially i think one last thing a nice 9" garmin than i need to stop spending on the boat for a little while