Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tinnie Trailer Query

Tinnie Trailer Query

G’day all.

just a quick query regarding a 5 metre Ally Craft tinnie I just picked up which unfortunately has been carted around on a multi roller trailer. I’m aware that they should be on a skid trailer and yes, it looks like the rollers have put a few shallow dimples in the hull much to my disgust.

The question - would I be right in thinking that any dimples around the hull will have pretty much zero consequence on anything other than my OCD?? The overal structure seems just fine, it’s just that there’s been a bit much pressure on a few rollers given the weight hasn’t all been on the keel rollers.

Any thoughts would be great.
    Cheers,
    Seb

Re: Tinnie Trailer Query

Quote Originally Posted by seb7701 View Post
    G’day all.

just a quick query regarding a 5 metre Ally Craft tinnie I just picked up which unfortunately has been carted around on a multi roller trailer. I’m aware that they should be on a skid trailer and yes, it looks like the rollers have put a few shallow dimples in the hull much to my disgust.

The question - would I be right in thinking that any dimples around the hull will have pretty much zero consequence on anything other than my OCD?? The overal structure seems just fine, it’s just that there’s been a bit much pressure on a few rollers given the weight hasn’t all been on the keel rollers.

Any thoughts would be great.
    Cheers,
    Seb
    Hi Seb

Got any photos ?

There are plenty of alloy boats going around on multi roller trailers ....... certainly when I bought my first Quinny it was sold with a multi roller trailer & no dramas for the 8 years I had it

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

A few dimples will be ok just don’t try and bang them back out
    issues happen when the hull has a large concave or hook from a impact or really dodgy trailer setup
    also happens a lot with glass boats during rebuilds when people don’t support the hull properly when removing stringers

ally craft went out of business ten years ago and the boat hasn’t sunk yet so will be ok

It probably needs more rollers under it.

Swap the single rollers for quad wobble rollers

I had 29 rollers under a 5.6 m tinny and it worked great with no damage to the boat for the 9 yrs i had it
    What could go wrong.......................

Those multi rollers on each length of steel tubing found on jetski trailers would be cool, 4 runs at the right height 15 rollers + per bunk it would have great support but wouldnt be cheap

Like this but upscale it
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks gents- was hoping things didn’t sound too critical. I did notice a hell of a lot of advertised tinnies on multi-roller trailers, but did tend to think skids would be the go.

Will chase up some pics of the underside, but currently just checking whether the old trailer can be salvaged for a skid conversion…

Hi Seb before you convert maybe just adjust the existing setup. The problem with skids or bunks is they tend to trap salt, especially if carpeted. Most common cause of dimpling is keel rollers too low or strapping dowm onto trailer too tight. Drop all the rollers on one side till you can rock the boat side to side a bit then raise each set up one at a time till they touch, keel rollers should take the weight. Also check the keel rollers aren't worn out in the centre allowing the boat to drop down. A good greasing while you are at it and you should be good to go!

Thanks mate, yep, gonna cut all wobble roller mounts off (bolts are too rusty to un-do) and drop boat down onto keel rollers. Have just ordered some new roller mounts and will re-set the rollers to simply stabilise as per with skids . Just now trying to see how buggered the trailer is, as a few crossmembers don’t look so hot…

Will attach some pics- bit hard to see dimples but prob also shows that it’s not too drastic underneath.

Anyhow, thanks all for the advice!

Seb, pics didn't work for me.

Yeah, that was a fail, plus the pics were crap...standby and we'll go again!

IMG_3952.jpgIMG_3951.jpgIMG_3953.jpgIMG_3954.jpg

In honesty, you'll be hard pressed to see, but on the far end of the photos...if you're lucky, you can see the dimples. Looking at the photos just now, I probably shouldn't be complaining and yes, I AM looking for another trailer if anyone has one on offer!

Can see one of your strakes bent on the 3rd picture

Pics show nowhere near enough roller support.

Boat manufacturer told me years ago to get under the trailer and adjust all the rollers so that you can turn all of them them by hand with the same effort. If you cannot turn them by hand you don't have enough support.

Seems too simple but when you do it you have a perfectly supported tinny that goes on and off with ease.

Dealers commonly if not always sell boats with underdone trailers to keep the price lower. Some savings are not worth it.

Eventually after one buys enough boats one learns how to make long term life easy!
    What could go wrong.......................