Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What happened to this boat?

What happened to this boat?

Re: What happened to this boat?

It sunk a while back.

If sunk, the motors and electrics might be buggered, looks like a keen price for the hull and trailer.

Was/is that an Ausfish members boat?

KittyKat had it for a while but had sold it before this happened if I remember correctly. Never found out how it ended upside down.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

Thought so, pretty good buy I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    Thought so, pretty good buy I guess.
    I saw pics of it upside down. So you’d only be buying it as a hull repair project.

Ausfish Platinum Member

Ah, the natural state of repose for a cat.....upside down , so it seems. Is it just me, or do a disproportionate number of cat accidents involve rollovers. Or should we just lock this thread, I'll delete my post, and we'll all just keep getting along

Quote Originally Posted by ranmar850 View Post
    Ah, the natural state of repose for a cat.....upside down , so it seems. Is it just me, or do a disproportionate number of cat accidents involve rollovers. Or should we just lock this thread, I'll delete my post, and we'll all just keep getting along
    It will be interesting to see the replies. I suspect a lot is driver error whether it's a cat or even a mono. I had an opportunity to drive a cat, albeit a 31 footer and yes they require a different style of driving and under instruction had no issues, just a change of attitude.

dunno but quite afew of those big 6m haines copies with twin 150-175s flipped down vic and nsw way a few years back 6 or so in 3 years

the joys of buying at auctions where they know the story but dont pass it on
    last place id buy anything mechanical

I think it comes with a need to send it when the wind blows a bit. But with that comes a lot of need for experience with the boat. I had a little bit of an understanding having had a single engine cat but it took me a while to get used to the right trim settings for different sea states with the twin engine. I messed around a lot with trim in better conditions just to see how the boat reacted in different sea directions. It wasn't until I was confident with the trim of the engines did I have the confidence to pick the speed up to where I wouldn't feel comfortable with a mono in messier conditions. Even then at the higher speeds the trim required adjusting regularly.

When you're sitting on 24-28 knots in messy conditions and feel like the trim is a bit out, it can feel really uncomfortable. If your brain isn't rewired with the up=down on a cat when it comes to trim you could quickly find yourself in trouble if you go the wrong way.

Quote Originally Posted by Lovey80 View Post

When you're sitting on 24-28 knots in messy conditions and feel like the trim is a bit out, it can feel really uncomfortable. If your brain isn't rewired with the up=down on a cat when it comes to trim you could quickly find yourself in trouble if you go the wrong way.
    Can happen in a millisecond Lovey...After seeing how quickly a Markham Rollinator 7m can go from 25 knots to zero and end up on its side after a sponson dug in whilst driving parallel to the sea by an experienced skipper.I would never own one...

Not sure if you have ever been in this situation Lovey but to me it validates all those cat rollover stories and its freaky just how quickly and without warning it can happen and if its never happened to you, you probably would never beleive it could so easily.....

BTW the one this post is about must have washed up on rocks or the beach did it...?..it looks like its suffered some structural damage and almost been snapped in half...

Ausfish Silver Member Ducksnutz's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Having been in a few, for me it’s 27-30ft plus cat’s reign supreme. Anything under Mono….all in my humble opinion of course. Flame on…
    Matilda

it can happen in a milisecond, happen to me (nearly) cruising in back thru the entrance against run out tide , trimmed wronged exactly the same time as port sponson dipped into a big green hole, more people on the port side too , and it went 45* plus easy , white knuckle fever but this was my error , operator error , was being too fancy , in other big seas it felt very safe to be in , i love cats would own another in a heartbeat if could afford to run two outboards

Quote Originally Posted by disorderly View Post
    Can happen in a millisecond Lovey...After seeing how quickly a Markham Rollinator 7m can go from 25 knots to zero and end up on its side after a sponson dug in whilst driving parallel to the sea by an experienced skipper.I would never own one...

Not sure if you have ever been in this situation Lovey but to me it validates all those cat rollover stories and its freaky just how quickly and without warning it can happen and if its never happened to you, you probably would never beleive it could so easily.....

BTW the one this post is about must have washed up on rocks or the beach did it...?..it looks like its suffered some structural damage and almost been snapped in half...
    \

I think possibly it was brought in upside down then lifted by a crane. Looks like all the weight was on one side of the stainless rail and it's buckled.